2500 Tournament List for Returning Player

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Occilion

2500 Tournament List for Returning Player

#1 Post by Occilion »

Hi Everyone,

I stopped playing Warhammer during the last months of 6th edition but recently a group of old friends has pulled me back in. To say the least there have been a few changes since I have been gone. While this is my first post I've been visiting the site off and on for about 10 years and know there is a lot of experience here so I wanted to grace you with the first list I've built in quite a while.

Level 4 Archmage - Lore of Death - Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Protection
This guy is my general and I'm hoping the lore I have chosen will keep his magic phase going strong while also helping with the
large horde bricks that I may come up against.
Level 2 Mage - Lore of High Magic - Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury
Having a High Elf army without someone using High Magic just didn't seem right. If there are better suggestions I am open to
them. In 6th I always ran a level 4 and level 2 so if something has changed in the meta I am all ears.
Noble BSB on Griffin - Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Armor, Great Weapon, Swiftsense, Swooping Strike
Terror causing flyer that hits pretty hard. Great conversion options and a solid centerpiece model. If someone chooses to
cannonball him they won't get the BSB (probably won't effect most people but my gaming group likes to grab those banners for
VP. Kind of a psychological don't shoot). He's able to move around the board quickly and deliver the banner where it is needed
most. While I really like the idea I am very aware of the shortfalls so if someone has a better idea but can keep the concept I
would love to hear it.

12 Archers
To get rid of chaff and soft targets
3 units of 6 Silver Helms with Shields
With the new rules I would run these guys 2 wide and 3 deep. Gives my army a lot of attacks with an extremely small frontage
and the mobility to redirect my entire army for a solid denied flank tactic.
6 Elyrian Reavers
March blocking, redirecting, artillery hunting. I can run them 2 wide and 3 deep or 6 wide depending on circumstances.

24 Phoenix Guard with Full Command
My anvil unit and the only additional banner in my infantry. They are there to survive and add static CR. I will probably place my
level 2 in this unit for the lore attribute of High Magic
2 units of 9 White Lions
Running them 3 wide and 3 deep. Another very small frontage unit with a good number of high WS, high strength attacks. They
work as speed bumps, road blocks, and are fairly resistant to shooting. I can also place them in some restrictive terrain for
counter charge options.

2 Great Eagles
March blocking, redirecting, artillery hunting.
2 Bolt Throwers
Large monster hunters
1 Frostheart Phoenix
Blizzard aura is always nice for my low T elves. Great model and another awesome conversion option.

My thoughts on the army are to provide an extremely small frontage that can pick and choose the enemy units to charge and destroy while paralyzing the remainder of the army. If that isn't an option for me the hope is to stay out of combat for as long as possible while clearing chaff and working for the draw. Once upon a time I was the best High Elf player in Arizona and would like to reclaim that title :D . All critiques and comments are welcome. Please tear the list apart with what you know.
John Rainbow

Re: 2500 Tournament List for Returning Player

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Hey and welcome to Ulthuan! Good to have another new member!

As to the list, I think it is pretty decent but not optimal. The griffon riding BSB is generally considered a poor choice as the griffon is very easy for even low str. shooting to put down. It can be decent in combat but really lacks defensively so you should consider this.

Also think about the fact that Death magic is very short range. This isn't a problem as such but it often means exposing your mage to potentially dangerous situations. Is a 5++ ward enough therefore? Where will he go to get into range?