Coven of light with loremaster and swordmasters

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andros123

Coven of light with loremaster and swordmasters

#1 Post by Andros123 »

I'm pretty excited about this one, and I feel it can be competitive as well. I haven't brought white lions since they are usually comped with the banner in my area.
What do you guys think?

Lords
Archmage lvl. 4 lore of light
Golden crown of Atrazar, Channeling staff

Loremaster
Shield of merwyrm, book of hoeth, sword of might

Heroes
Mage lvl. lore of light
Dispel scroll

Noble on barded steed
Starlance, potion of foolhardiness, Enchanted shield

Lothern Sea Helm BSB

Core
2x5 Ellyrian Reavers with spears

12 Silver helms
Full command

14 Archers
Musician

Special
25 Swordmasters
full command + banner of the world dragon

Rare
3xBolt throwers

Frostheart Phoenix

Total: 2400

The Sea helm is essential because I need him to be able to face whatever direction I need to cast Banishment, and not worry about a flank charge.
The noble is there to give the silver helms some punch, and because I didn't know what else to do with core.
I'm still not sure if I should go with Phoenix guards instead of swordmasters.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
pk-ng

Re: Coven of light with loremaster and swordmasters

#2 Post by pk-ng »

I don't see how the LSH is essential considering the fact that Banishment is a magic missile. So if you get charge it doesn't matter that direction you are facing you will not be able to cast banishment anyways...
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
matrim

#3 Post by matrim »

pk-ng wrote:I don't see how the LSH is essential considering the fact that Banishment is a magic missile. So if you get charge it doesn't matter that direction you are facing you will not be able to cast banishment anyways...
I think what Andros123 means is that he can face whichever direction is required to cast banishment without moving the mage out of the unit. For example the target flies behind his unit and places a threat in front. He can stil reform and cast without being scared of a rear charge...

I love SM but loathe their staying power. They are at their best when pushed hard and fast (time warp :wink: ) So not the best bunker for a light coven. I'd go with WL and if you drop the Cav Noble plus a couple helms you can still get 10 - 15 SM there.
Rabidnid

#4 Post by Rabidnid »

You seem to be a little unbalanced in what you have.

lvl 4, LM and BSB all go in the lions I take it?

None of them are protected enough to survive in the front rank of combat.

The lvl 4 could go with fencers blades and talisman of preservation
The loremaster with armour of destiny and ogre blade, or armour of destiny and sword of anti heroes
The BSB with armor of calendor and a halberd

The lvl 1 can have golden crown and a scroll, and go in the archers.

You only have 2 redirectors, and could do with more rather than depending on the seahelm

An eagle or two and maybe some shadow warriors would not hurt.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Andros123

#5 Post by Andros123 »

Thank you for your answers first of all
pk-ng wrote:
I don't see how the LSH is essential considering the fact that Banishment is a magic missile. So if you get charge it doesn't matter that direction you are facing you will not be able to cast banishment anyways...

I think what Andros123 means is that he can face whichever direction is required to cast banishment without moving the mage out of the unit. For example the target flies behind his unit and places a threat in front. He can stil reform and cast without being scared of a rear charge...
Excactly.
I love SM but loathe their staying power. They are at their best when pushed hard and fast (time warp :wink: ) So not the best bunker for a light coven. I'd go with WL and if you drop the Cav Noble plus a couple helms you can still get 10 - 15 SM there.
True, they are not very good as a bunker, however I feel they get the most out of the sea helms ability. Maxing out the front rank with swordmasters, who now get's 2 attacks can be pretty brutal. Maybe I should drop the silver helms and noble, because they really want to rush into combat, whereas the rest of the army wants to hang back. However if I don't use my core tax on silver helms, what else is there really :?
None of them are protected enough to survive in the front rank of combat.
The point here is go five wide and to have the sea helm and the loremaster in the front rank and the mages in the second. When I get charged I use the sea helms ability and go as wide as I need to bring both mages out of combat.
Granted I need more defensive gear on the loremaster and sea helm.