Complete Beginner - 2000pt Army

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

decado4184

Complete Beginner - 2000pt Army

#1 Post by decado4184 »

Hi everyone I am looking to collect my first Warhammer army and have chosen High Elves, I have not yet played a game and will only be playing my friends in a semi-competitive environment. Based on my limited understanding and reading these forums I have put together the below list and would appreciate some feedback on the list to make sure that it will not completely handicap me:

Lord (285)
Archmage (Level 4, Shadow, Book of Hoeth, Golden Crown of Atrazar)

Hero (157)
Noble (Battle Standard Bearer, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Armour, Halberd)

Core (548)
Lothern Seaguard (29, Shields, Sea Master, Musician, Standard Bearer)
Ellyrian Reavers (5, Bows)
Ellyrian Reavers (5, Bows)

Special (530)
Phoenix Guard (24, Keeper of the Flame, Musician, Standard Bearer, Razor Standard)
Lothern Skycutter

Core (480)
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Frostheart Phoenix
Sackree

Re: Complete Beginner - 2000pt Army

#2 Post by Sackree »

It looks a pretty solid list that will contribute to all phases, I'll run down it and give you a few thoughts,

Shadow with the Book gives you a great magic phase and the lore works well with both phoenix guard and LSG. He will have to be placed in a unit that will inevitably see combat, I'm assuming PG, so he might need better protection than a one off 2++. Consider dropping the enchanted shield and 2 PG to afford a 4++ save on him.

The BSB won't be able to use his enchanted shield in combat because he will be using a halberd so the points are wasted there. Reaver bow and the potion is a great combo.

Core is good. Reavers are I would say essential. The jury is still out on LSG but I really like them because of their flexibility and they allow you to place either offensively or defensively. They also work well with shadow. Withering makes their shooting better, enfeebling helps keep them alive and mind razor wins you games.

Phoenix guard are our best special unit, hands down, you've got their setup spot on. I haven't used a sky cutter so you will have to let me know how it goes

Rare is great, the phoenix is the best monster in the game, the RBT's provide great ranged presence and the eagles provide fantastic chaff.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]