40 White Lions

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Nicene

40 White Lions

#1 Post by Nicene »

How would you build a list around this unit? Including commmand and BotWD you're looking at exactly 600 points, which is around the same investment as a Star Dragon.

I'm thinking you'd want some other durable combat units, who don't need to get into combat quickly. Also some ways to control the movement phase enough to get the Lions into meaningful combats.

Some ideas for secondary/accompanying combat threats:
Star Dragon
I don't like this because it's so fragile. It wants a second-turn charge, while the lions may be tied up for much of the game by chaff. Also, you're left with few options for magic. Would you run a Helm bus with two nobles and two mages? Then you'd have almost no points left for chaff. Also, you'd like the BotWD in your helm bus in this case, and I think it belongs on the Lions.

MMU cavalry
Maybe some smaller units of Dragon Princes and a small Helm bus? Dunno.

Phoenix Guard
Maybe a smaller PG unit, say 24. With characters, perhaps? Maybe an Anointed, or maybe a Loremaster. Or both? LM in the Lions, Anointed in the PG?

Heavy Shooting
The Lions could be the lynchpin of a defensive list. But I think PG are better for this role.

edit:
Spearmen
Maybe 35 -40 spearmen, 5-wide, led by a tanky BSB or Anointed?

any other ideas?

If we run 25% characters, 25% core, 25% lions, this leaves 25% for everything else.
Last edited by Nicene on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
John Rainbow

Re: 40 White Lions

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I think the only real competitive option for the lion-star is with Alarielle these days. PG are definitely the new black.
Nicene

#3 Post by Nicene »

Well, assume you were forced to take the unit. What else would you include?

Here's a list I just thought up:

"Ulthuan Infantry" -- 2500 points:
Anointed (general) ~260
Loremaster ~330
Foot BSB ~150

40 Lions ~600
24 PG ~430

40 Spears ~400
5 Helms ~125
5 Reavers ~100

1 Eagle ~50
1 Eagle ~50

The spears would carry Banner of Discipline and go 5-wide for ranks. One character in each infantry block, by default. They could hop around, however.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

I would go for a single Lion-star with Alarielle, her banner and then fill the rest with RBTs and faster units. A Frost Phoenix (or two) I think is a must here to help out the WL when so much other stuff has rerolls/ASF in the meta these days.

I'm at work at the moment so I'll try and post some more complete ideas later. I would maybe look at Domine Nox's lists if you think you like the idea of an Alarielle based WL-star though.
Bolt Thrower

#5 Post by Bolt Thrower »

In my opinion, large "star" type units have to have a couple of things going for them in order to be successful.

1. Another menacing threat on the board. Something to make your opponent fear the lions, but also be leery of other danger.

2. Enough chaff removal to ensure you don't get bogged down by junk units.

To that end, I like a Prince on dragon backed up by archers in core, some small units of helms/reavers, and load up the RBT and/or Sisters. Bring a level 1 or 2 with a scroll and high magic (most likely taking the two signatures unless you get a favorable spell against just the right opponent).
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Averlorn

#6 Post by Averlorn »

I'd maybe put a chariot of any type into the unit, or maybe one or two bolt throwers. Especially with an all infantry list.
Sackree

#7 Post by Sackree »

I would take allarielle,, BotWD and a sea helm noble for the reform.

If you can't take special characters then I would settle for a high Lvl 4 with BoH to boost their ward against non magic attacks. And make sure to slip the ICI onto someone for a boost to war machine ward saves.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
MartinElf

#8 Post by MartinElf »

To make the lion star work now, it's got be big which yours is, it's also got to have support frosties been the best support unit we have, so 2 of them.

If your not allowed special characters I'd run a lvl 4 life to boost the toughness of them and a 4 plus regen. I also think the lion star is a a defensive build now, so take a lot of archers in core with some divsrters. I'd also put a seahelm and a lvl 2 fire wizard