New High Elf Player- 2K list vs Daemons.

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Menetherin

New High Elf Player- 2K list vs Daemons.

#1 Post by Menetherin »

First off I would like to say hello to these boards, this is my first post, I will look for an introductions thread afterwards :D

Ive just come back off a 1 year break and wanted to start a new army after playing Chaos heavily and highelves were my original army back when I was a youngster and no army has truly felt like home other than the asur.

Below is a 2k list I have compromised, not the most competitive and I am worried it doesnt have enough combat units about it but I was struggling at 2k points to find a nice balance. Im not taking the BoWD as it seems like an auto win against daemons and I'd feel bad using it in this case.

Anyway any help from veteran asur players would be most welcome, and thanks for reading.

Archmage Lv4- BoH, Talisman of Preservation ( High Magic)

Mage- Lv2, Dispel Scroll ( Lore of Beasts)

Noble- Bsb, Armour of Destiny, Shield, Halberd

5 Ellyrian reaver- bows and spears

5 Ellyrian reavers- bow and spears

19 Archers

19 Archers

10 Dragon Princes- Full Command

23 Phoenix Guard- Musician, Standard Bearer

RBT

RBT

Mages in with the archers, BSB in with the PG. Alot of shooting and something I am not used to, I am using some proxie units as I dont have tons of high elf mini's yet and thought it best to see what I want before I buy.

I have been playing around with some lists and had one with 40 PG, Silver helms, no DP or RBT but with a small unit of sisters of avelon.

Not sure which one would work better.

Thanks again and any help would be greatly appreciated.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: New High Elf Player- 2K list vs Daemons.

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome Menetherin!

Opinion is split on this. Some players think Banner HE's >> Daemons. Some think Daemons just too strong Banner or no. I feel the Banner gives an edge but no more than that. Certainly by not taking it Daemons become much more difficult. There are Banner-less builds that can do well here but they are few.

That said PG are clearly the way to go if you're leaving World Dragon at home. For all-comers I'd auto-select Razor Standard but not for this match-up I guess. I don't think the DP's will work as they stand because they need to win round 1 and that's hard against Daemons. I'd consider dropping them for a unit of World Dragon Lions. This would complement the defensive magic/shooting focus of the list. In that case I fancy Shadow on the AM for Withering and Pit.

An alternative is to swap the AM for a Prince and mount the BSB. These characters would give the DP's a lot more punch. Of course the magic becomes more defensive. In that case it might make more sense to make the cavalry Silver Helms, which means dropping some Archers/Reavers. Then you'd probably need to add more shooting and maybe Eagles at the cost of some DP's.
Menetherin

#3 Post by Menetherin »

Thanks for the welcome,

So after reading your advice, I came up with this list and I like the look of it, only thing I am worried about is the lack of units, but I could cut down the PG.

Prince- Elven Steed, Barding, Dragon Armour, Talisman of Preservation, Ogreblade, Enchanted Shield

Noble- Bsb, Elven Steed, Barding, Dragon Armour, Shield, Star Lance

Mage- lv2, Dispel Scroll ( High Magic)

5 Ellyrian Reavers- Bows and Spears

5 Ellyrian Reavers- Bows and Spears

16 Silverhelms- Shields, Musician

39 Phoenix Guard-Full Command

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

RBT

RBT

points - 1997.

Again any feed back would be appreciated.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

You're welcome!

:)

You might consider something like:

Prince, Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, Giant Blade, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone, Ironcurse Icon, Shield.
BSB, Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, Star Lance, Other Trickster's Shard, Enchanted Shield.
Mage, Lvl2, High Magic, Barded Steed, Dispel Scroll, Fury Ring.

12 Helms, FC.
2 x 5 Reavers, Spear/Bow

23 PG, FC
6 Dragon Princes, Eternal Flame

10 Sisters
2 RBT

The Prince is built for a re-roll instead of the 4+ Ward, which allows him to upgrade to the Giant Blade. Your build is interesting but most players consider the S7 important. All the characters ride in the bus, the mage in the second rank where he can buff the unit with Shield of Saphery and close with the enemy in relative safety to use his magic missiles.
Menetherin

#5 Post by Menetherin »

I dont put much faith into armour saves as much as I do a decent ward which will be improved to a 3+ via high magic. I played WoC long enough to see its quite easy to nullify armour and Daemons seem to have plenty of heavy hitters.

I could lower the PG, and lose the eagles for a smallish unit of sisters though.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Menetherin, if you look at the lists on here, especially of strong players, almost everyone runs the 1+ re-rollable. But fair play, if you can make your build work. I'm building a WE list people will think I'm mad to do, but it has to be tried!
Menetherin

#7 Post by Menetherin »

I'll take a gander, tyvm for all the feedback though.