2400 Swedish Comp - 16

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

sandstorm

2400 Swedish Comp - 16

#1 Post by sandstorm »

There is a tournament in January that I am considering going to that is using Swedish Comp. Scores have to be between 10-16 with points being awarded/taken away for different comp scores. I have no prior experience using Swedish so I am wondering how this list would stack up in such an environment. My list comes in at exactly 16.

Phoenix Guard bus will have M6 swiftstride(M8 with hand of glory) and a 2++ ward vs magic. All the characters in the front rank should have 3++ wards as should the unit, unless the magic phase goes horribly wrong.

Lords - 520pts

Anointed of Asuryan - Giant Blade, 270pts
Alith Anar - 250pts

Heros - 375pts

Noble, BSB - Reaver Bow, Shield of Merywrm, 135pts
Level 2 High Mage - 120pts
Level 2 High Mage - 120pts

Core - 600pts

13 Archers - Musician, 140pts
13 Archers - Musician, 140pts
5 Silver Helms - Standard, Musician, 135pts
5 Reavers - Musician, Bows, 95pts
5 Reavers - Musician, 90pts

Special - 315pts

18 Phoenix Guard - Full Command, Banner of Swiftness, 315pts

Rare - 590pts

Flamespyre Phoenix - 225pts
Flamespyre Phoenix - 225pts
Bolt Thrower - 70pts
Bolt Thrower - 70pts

2400pts
Last edited by sandstorm on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rabidnid

Re: 2400 Swedish Comp - 16

#2 Post by Rabidnid »

There are some major compromises there as regards your effectiveness to get to 16. Mine is sitting around 15ish with 2 units of 18 PG, 2 units of 7 silver helms, a loremaster, prince, sisters and BSB

You need a BSB and at least one other major combat block to not be terrible.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#3 Post by Axiem »

Sandstorm, I really, really like your list! That being said, I would recommend making a few changes:

I've played a bit with the foot Anointed, including in with Phoenix Guard, and have found him to not be worth it, outside of using Archers as a second combat unit. Since you aren't going to do this, I would strongly suggest changing this character to a Prince and using the points saved to buy Magic Resistance to the unit. He'll hit harder, last as long, and you'll still have decent magic protection for the unit. I also strongly think you need some form of magic defense: either a Scroll, Sceptre of Stability, or even a Scroll of Shielding, wouldn't go amiss.

I'd also very much like to see Razor Standard included, if possible.

I'm also interested in what role you want the BSB to serve. Assumably, he's going to be hiding behind Alith Anar and the Prince, meaning he doesn't really need all that much kit. Yes, you could make him a Reaver-Noble, but then Shield of the Merwyrm seems like overkill, and could show up on the Prince for example. What I might suggest here is Banner of Eternal Flame. It would give you the option of adding Flaming Ranged attacks (via Archers) if you needed, and also help you take on Trolls and the like without trouble. This frees points up which can be used elsewhere, and also makes you more versatile in a variety of circumstances.

I disagree with Rabidnid: a Prince, Alith Anar, BSB, and 2x High Magic is plenty enough to play a Dearthstar-style. You're also very unlikely to lose board control with 2x Phoenix, 2x Reavers, Helms, and Archers + Bolt Throwers.

Here's what I'd suggest:

Prince, General, Heavy Armor, Giant Blade, Shield of the Merwyrm, Obsidian Trinket, 236
Alith Anar, 250
Noble, BSB, Dragon Armor, Halberd, Longbow, Banner of Eternal Flame, 124
Mage, Level Two, Lore of High Magic, Sceptre of Stability, 135
Mage, Level Two, Lore of High Magic, 120

13 Archers, Musician, 140
13 Archers, Musician, 140
5 Silver Helms, Standard, Musician, 135
5 Reavers, Musician, Bows, 95
5 Reavers, Musician, 90

18 Phoenix Guard, Full Command, Razor Standard, 345

2x Flamespyre Phoenix, 450
2x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower, 140

TOTAL: 2398

Thoughts?

Axiem
sandstorm

#4 Post by sandstorm »

I very much agree with the prince vs anointed setup, for 30 points less you actually gain one extra S7 attack. Shield of Merywrm doesn't protect against stomp/thunderstomp so I will have to be careful when doing challenges etc but it still makes sense. The Noble BSB in my opinion needs the reaver bow, otherwise all he will be doing in most games is hiding in the second rank giving rerolls. 3 S5 bow shots hiting on 2's or 3's means that besides the obvious leadership rerolls he is much more likely to make back his points by turn 6. He can also finish things off that Alith/bolt throwers leave on one wound for example. The sceptre and razor standard are other changes I approve of.

Cheers
finreir

#5 Post by finreir »

Sandstorm I think your list is average at ranged and poor in combat even for a Swedish 16. My Swedish 16 earlier in the year just seemed a tad more solid.
I think the PG need an extra few bodies
I believe if 1 flame Phoenix has the same effect as 2 so I would look at during up combat with those points. Just my thoughts
Ian Sturgess playing high elves and wood elves since 1990 ish
Twitter @chaffmaster1