500pts begginer's list, be gentle...

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Vagabond

500pts begginer's list, be gentle...

#1 Post by Vagabond »

Hi guys! :) First time on this forum! Starting Warhammer Fantasy with High Elves. I'm starting with 500 points, just to see how the game is played.
This is what I came up so far:

Mage (Level 1, High Magic, Dispell Scroll, Golden Crown of Atrazar) 120pts

10 Lothern Sea Guard (full command, shields) 150pts
5 Silver Helms (full command, shields) 145pts

Bolt Thrower 70pts

What do you think? Is it good for a start? Feel free to critique and comment...
John Rainbow

Re: 500pts begginer's list, be gentle...

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Hey Vagabond. Welcome to Ulthuan!

If you're starting up the game I wouldn't worry too much about your list. Get the rules down first! This list is nice in that regard as it will let you play in all the phases of the game and get to grips with the rules. It is also a nice start to expand from as all the units you have chosen here are usable in some form in larger games too. Good luck!
PGP

#3 Post by PGP »

500 pts is very hard with high elves. I'd probably run with

Mage, lvl 2, light lore (try also nobles with reaver bow, wyrm shield, potion of strength, crown of alc, sword of might, but mage teach better how to game works)
23 archers, mus, sb
2x1 eagle, shredding talons,swiftsense

Try to kill warmachines/mages with eagles. Try to slow advancing units with eagles by redirecting (fly in front of unit tilted left or right and accept charge next round). Put eagles first to table and try to get archer+mage as far as possible from advancing big units. Take always the light signature spell.
Motley

#4 Post by Motley »

Hi,

I have been in the same boat as you for a while now playing 500pts. Depending on your opponent it can be very hard, for instance I keep getting beaten by a friend that runs Brets, as everything has a 2+ armour save.

What I would suggest is play with whatever you have got to start with! and get used to the rules.

I like High magic as at low points levels a boosted Soul Quench is devastating, and castable.

I would suggest doing 2d3 Winds of Magic as otherwise you end up 6 dicing everything.

I tend to run a lv2 on High, a bunch of Seaguard (cos those are the models I have) some reavers/or silverhelms and a few swordmasters.

I have also run seaguard and silverhems with a lvl2 and beat an ogre list at 500pts.

Just enjoy it and try not o get disheartened as I am finding the Elves are getting better as the points level rises.

Dan.
Vagabond

#5 Post by Vagabond »

Thank you guys for yours quick answers. I will try to exploit your advices. Be posting soon...
PGP

#6 Post by PGP »

You are probably better off with lvl 2 high mage, minimum core cavalry and a mus, pendant banner lion/masters unit
Vagabond

#7 Post by Vagabond »

Ok, I made changes, based on your advices and my personal preferences, so:

Mage (Level 2, Shadow Magic) 120pts

15 Lothern Sea Guard (full command, shields) 210pts

5 Sword Masters of Hoeth (full command) 95

Bolt Thrower 70pts

I'm not going with magic items or banners, for now, and I will experiment with High Maigic also.