n00b 1.5k list: where to next?

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Careck

n00b 1.5k list: where to next?

#1 Post by Careck »

Hello everyone, I have been reading these posts on lists as I try to make my very first EVER list.
So far I don't have many minis, I have been painting them before I assemble my next unit and that has taken a while ( I know, I'm a perfecionist :roll: :roll: ).
I bought an IoB and a Battalion set and have finally gotten enough minis painted to field them. Here is my list:

LORDS:
- 1 archmage lvl 4 , lore of life, book of hoeth & crown of atrazar: 285 points
( the archmage will go with the swordmasters )
HEROES:
- noble on griffon, BSB, dragon armour: 255 points
CORE:
- 20 spears, full command, lichebone pennant: 225 points
- 10 archers, full command, light armour: 150 points
- 5 ellyrian reavers, bows: 95 points
SPECIAL:
- 20 swordmasters, full command, razor standard: 335 points
RARE:
- 2 Repeater Bolt Throwers: 140 points

TOTAL: 1495 points

I want to start playing games ( finally ) and start learning about the game. Do you think this list is balanced enough that I won't get steam rolled every time I play?
My thoughts are that this list has enough shooting, some chaff to redirect, spears are my anvil and swordmasters my hammer. The noble is my backup hammer that can flank units ( and also a BSB ). The Archmage will just try to protect the swordmasters and the Noble.
Given these minis, anything that I can change to make this list better? Also as of now I only have an extra lion chariot, a few more archers and 2 more mages.

Most important question: where to next? What should I buy next to develop my army? I would like to get to 2.5k.
Thanks for all your help!
empra

Re: n00b 1.5k list: where to next?

#2 Post by empra »

I'm by no means an expert (in fact im asking for help also) but if you want your noble to hurt stuff i think he may need more hitting power also you had spare points anyway so how about;

drop the lichbone standard on spear elves
drop standard and champ on archers

add enchanted shield to noble
add star lance to noble
add luckstone to noble

this would give your noble more strength on the charge more armour and one armour reroll
you lose mr1 on spear elves i don't rate a 6++ vs magic damage but i could be wrong
a champ from archers (this is actually a plus as it lets you pick up any ten dice and not worry about designating)
a banner from archers (hopefully they wont see combat)
Careck

Re: n00b 1.5k list: where to next?

#3 Post by Careck »

Hey Empra,
thanks for your help! I actually had messed up my math and counted the light armour on the archers twice so that meant that I had some extra points. Here is the new revised list,

LORDS:
- 1 archmage, lvl4, book of Hoeth, Crown of Atrazar: 285

HEROES:
- noble on griffon, dragon armour, star lance, enchanted shield, luckstone, BSB: 295

CORE:
- 20 spears, full command, banner of eternal flame: 220
- 10 archers, full command, light armour: 140
- 5 ellyrian reavers, bows: 95

SPECIAL:
- 20 swordmasters, full command, razor standard: 335

RARE:
- 2 bolthrowers: 140 points

As it stands now it is 1560 points so I have 10 points to drop. Which should I drop: Banner from Spears or Champion/Standard Bearer from Archers?
Thanks!