What? No White Lions?

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

jayzerus

What? No White Lions?

#1 Post by jayzerus »

I've been wanting to do this list for a while. I played it once against WoC with some decent success. I'm not sure how well it would do in competitive play.

Loremaster, Lvl 2; Book, Chamed Shield, Sword of Might - 310
Loremaster, Lvl 2; Ogre Blade, Shield of Merwyrm, Golden Crown - 295
Noble BSB; Dragon Armor, Star Lance, Luckstone, Barded Warhorse - 145

Silverhelms x10, Full command, shields - 260
Reavers x 5, Musician, Bows, Spears - 105
Reavers x 5, Musician, Bows, Spears - 105
Archers x 15, Banner, Musician - 170

Swordmasters x 27, Full Command, Banner of World Dragon - 431
Swordmasters x 27, Full Command, Cleaming Pennant - 386

Bolt throwers x 4 - 280

I'm not married to the equipment on the two Loremasters, nor the helms (plus mounted BSB). I could drop the big unit to one unit to 5 and add more archers, or I could leave it as is. I feel like 2+ armor save doesn't protect them enough though.

The idea with the Loremasters is that one is kitted to cast (BoH) and the other is kitted to fight, but each could do the other reasonably well and wouldn't be a liability either way. They each have a negate a hit/wound on a 2+ item, but other than that they are more or less vulnerable, only relying on their WS6 and buffs. I'm not sure I have the right equipment on either of them.

I was originally thinking one Loremaster in each unit, but the more I think on it, the more I like the idea of putting both in the same unit.
matrim

Re: What? No White Lions?

#2 Post by matrim »

Two blocks of SM and two LM sounds fun but I don't think competitive especially against shooting or war machine heavy lists

LM doesn't have enough buffs to protect them all and a bad magic roll will be very unpleasant

And if you don't get the first go opposition can reduce your list significantly

5+ and 6++ don't really protect even you say 2+ isn't that good on SH
Count

#3 Post by Count »

Maybe change one loremaster to lvl1 with wyssan wildform and add more SM or reavers?
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

I'd really like to hear how this list goes. I love the theme you've got going.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Rexhavoc

#5 Post by Rexhavoc »

Other than the two LM's I love this list. Looks like a ton of fun. Hey, there may be more competitive options but you have 2 blocks of 30 SM's! :)

The 2nd LM seems like a waste but what the Hell? Give it a try. At least you'll get to double up on the good stuff. Two bad you couldn't fit in the forbidden rod. The BoWD would protect you from the wounds and it could give you a helluva magic phase as you 2dice a ton of spells rerolling one of the dice each time.

Make sure u post some Batreps.
Bolt Thrower

#6 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I think this sounds like a fun list. I was just listening to Ben Curry talk about a double bus setup and while he was speaking of cav buses, this has a similar feel i.e. not a death star setup but two very threatening units. What challenges did you discover in your recent battle vs. WoC?

That said, I really don't like the lore master load outs. I would suggest dropping the magic weapons and go for more defensive items such as armour of caledor or ward save items. Let the great weapons they carry be enough.

I would keep them in separate units. That way they can still double up certain buffs on one of the units if they wish, but it doesn't make the regen spell from life useless (since it only affects the wizard's unit and doesn't stack).

Also I'm not sure about the gleaming pennant. You might find more use from the lichebone pennant or the flaming banner.

Finally, might 5 sisters be a nice addition to the shooting by dropping one of the RBT?
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
jayzerus

Re: What? No White Lions? - First batrep started

#7 Post by jayzerus »

So it's been a while since I started this thread. My intention was to start gaming and get some batreps up for everyone's pleasure. I severely underestimated the amount of time and patience I lost with having a baby. But I finally got a game in with a dual Loremaster list. Unfortunately I played against dwarves, so I wasn't able to fully see what the potential was.

High Elf Army List
Loremaster; Book, ToP
Loremaster; Armor of Destiny, Dragonbane Gem, Ironcurse Icon
Noble BSB; Barded horse, Star Lance, Charmed Shield
14x archers; standard & musician
5x Reavers;bows, spears, musician
5x Reavers;bows, spears, musician
9x Silverhelms; full command
27x Swordmasters; full command
25x Swordmasters; full command
4x bolt throwers

Dwarf Army list:
2x Master engineers
2x Runesmiths (each with spell eater rune)
Thane BSB
12x Quarrelers
35ish Longbears with stubborn banner, full command
35ish Hammerers; full command
3x Gyrocopters
2x Organ guns
2x Cannons w/ runes of accuracy

Pre-battle thoughts
Seeing as I don’t really have a lot of opportunities for this cannons to pick off major models (I don’t run any monsters at the moment), I wasn’t worried about his cannons. What I was most concerned about was his organ guns taking off a unit of swordmasters before I got into combat. I need both to win this game.

My general tactic when I play any dwarf army: Pick 2 war machines – rush one with my fast cav and throw as much shooting and magic missiles at the second until they are both dead. In this case – his organ guns.

So deployment + vanguards worked out well. I set up assuming I would lose since he gets the +1. I’m out of range of both organ guns and his crossbowmen. I got both of my infantry units across from his, and loaded heavy on the longbeards with the silverhelms in hopes that I overrun them in one turn.

HE Turn 1:

I out rolled my opponent to get first turn, so I set right to it. I moved everything up, setting up turn 3 or 4 charges. I really should have wheeled my left swordmasters a bit because I bottled myself up with that building. Moved my archers up 5” to get shots off on his quarrelers (waste of time).

My magic got shut down (a recurring theme – I am playing dwarves after all), and my reavers put a wound on the left organ gun. I put one wound on the left most gyrocopter and a wound on the cannon from my bolt throwers.
Looking at the potential predicament with the building, and the fact that all four warmachines were still on the table, I’d say this was not a great first turn.

Dwarf Turn 1:

Not surprisingly, only the gyrocopters moved. The two left gyrocopters set up to send steam cannons down the entire rank of both Reavers. The right gyrocopter flew up behind the fence setting himself up to do shenanigans in turn 2.

Also not surprisingly, I lost two bolt thowers to cannons. Other casualties include 3 Reavers total from the two steam cannons, 2 silverhelms from one organ gun, 7 swordmasters from the other organ gun, and 3 archers from his quarrelers.

I’d say he took round 1. Stay tuned for rounds 2+
jayzerus

#8 Post by jayzerus »

I’m still feeling pretty good about this game. I charged his left organ gun with my three remaining reavers, and got a rear charge off on his center gyrocopter. I surprised him and charged my archers off the hill into his right gyrocopter, figuring I’m already at a +4 for combat res.

For magic, he used his spell eater rune on my fireball for the second time, this time successful – he failed to roll the 4+ in last turn. I got the medium fireball off from my other loremaster off on his right organ gun. I got 11 hits, but only a single wound. I did another wound to the left gyrocopter and two more to the longbeards.

No wounds were done to the gyrocopter, and he did none back, but stuck his ld 5 roll. The archers did 2 wounds, he did none back. He needed a 3 and got it. I only did one wound to his organ gun, and guess what – he made his leadership check there too.

To save his center gyrocopter, he charged his left into the rear of my reavers. Fast forward to shooting. He killed my center bolt thrower, and put only a single wound on my left most bolt thrower. His organ gun opened up on my right swordmasters, doing only two wounds.

Knowing that he only had a single wound left on the gyrocopter in my rear, I put all my attacks there from my reavers… and did no wounds. Between the two gyrocopters, my reavers all died in a blaze of futility. My archers though! They crushed their gyrocopter, doing 4 wounds (only needing 1). They then reformed facing the enemy lines.

My other reavers took out the organ gun finally, and reformed just slightly to see the engineer, but not enough to get clocked by the longbeards.

My reavers charged the engineer. I debated a charge from my silverhelms, but I would be in the flank of his gyrocopter, and would have been blocked by the building anyway. I moved all three units up to line up for a charge – he would have needed an 8 on his longbeards, a 9 on his hammerers.

For magic, he stopped my big fireball attempt on the right organ gun, leaving me open to drop his WS on his organ gun by 2 via miasma. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize the organ gun actually used the engineer’s ballistic skill, so it was a wasted attempt.
The reavers took out the engineer. I needed an 8 to overrun into the cannon. I rolled a 6. Bummer.

The next turn is really going to make or break this game. I took a risk potentially exposing myself. If he charged out with his longbeards, I might be ok, but I really need to combo charge with my silverhelms to make sure that unit disappears. I will also need to weather another round of organ gun, which is certainly a concern.

To be continued…