1K list vs woodies

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gregdon45

1K list vs woodies

#1 Post by Gregdon45 »

i usually play wood elves but my brother is pissed of at me tableing him every game then saying they are OP so i plan to beat him with his own army to shut him up. He Will notbe bringing treemen which is why i will have no fire magic. since it is at 1k i am trying to use a magic focused list.
Lords
Archmage lvl4 death power stone 240p
Heroes
Mage lvl2 high magic 120p
Mage lvl 1 beasts forbidden rod 120p
Core
5 Ellyrian Reavers bow only 85p
2x5 Ellyrian Reavers bow only Harbringer 95 p (each)
Special
17 White lions of Charice Guardian Standard Bearer 241
total
996p
so what do you think any and all comments are welcome and appreciated
thanks
John Rainbow

Re: 1K list vs woodies

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I think you have too many points in magic for 1000pts. That is more than I would spend at 2500pts! I would remove some mages and add combat power and ranged damage. As a WE player you know what you need to focus on - stuff that can catch and kill fast moving cav and infantry in woods. I would also maybe put BotWD on the WLs as it is a pretty awesome item against Woodies.
ZT Strike

#3 Post by ZT Strike »

That's one rough list for beating wood elves. This list is almost striking weak again all of their shooting. For fighting 1000 points against wood elves I would suggest running these units:
Lords: Prince(mounted, and armored.)
Heroes: Mage (level 1, with fireball)
Core: Sliver Helms (with Shields)
Special: Dragon Princes, White Lions, White Lion Chariot, Lothern Skycutter
Rare: Bolt Thrower

The main weakness of Wood Elves is their lack of hitting power. Sure they can shoot for days but when it comes down to it, most of the army does not use strength 5+ attacks. This is where most of the high elf units and white lions come in. At most times, they will have attacks that will give a -1 to armor and then maybe some -2s if the player know how to build their army. Either way, most of the units above will have 3+/4+ saves after modifiers. Be mindful, you will take loses with the volume of fire that WE can put up, but it doesn't take much to rout the army. Since their army still doesn't have ASF, almost everything that lives through to combat will hit and if played right will wound 5/6 times.

Any more details please ask.
-ZT Strike
Sea Guard of Eataine - Asur
Corsair of Karond Kar - Druchii
Gregdon45

#4 Post by Gregdon45 »

we managed to play the game table wipeout for HE 2nd magic phase used forbidden rod and power stone and killed with death '
@ZT you are right but he plays a very frontal assault HE so i thought he was going to do a EG bus but no he came with WW GG and HODA (bad luck on hoda got 4 reavers and the last one killed 2 GG) and your list would have IMHO died to the 10 WW quite quickly if i was playing with lethal shot t1 shoot lord's unit t2 kill BT and hoda vs the vehicles dosen't sound to good to me but i use ..... unconventional woddies but vs mainstream that list would be perfect
@rainbow i love magic with HE death forbidden rod + power stone means you have power for 5-6 spells provided they are not xerus but i see your point if i went again it would be without the High maagic mage at least