Back to MSU- breakdown

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Cealyne

Back to MSU- breakdown

#1 Post by Cealyne »

So, after many trials and battles and lists. I started playing this current edition of high elves as an MSU variant. I first got the idea after reading many of swordmasters reports. I had mixed success and failure with it. I have tried the cav bus, fun, but not always me. I tried a sudo lion horde, not much fun. I also tried to keep MMU going, worked and was fun. Though I always seem to turn the army towards making my list more MSU style. So after reading many reports and write ups on this style, I have come to believe I have a better under standing of the play style. So here it is...

Lords:
Loremaster: dispell scroll, talisman of preservation, dragon helm, iron curse icon
Heros:
Noble BSB: dragon armor, charmed shield, reaverbow, potion of strength
Core:
5 reavers: spears, musician
5 silverhelms: shields, FC
15 Seaguard: shields, FC
16 archers: FC
Special:
10 swordmasters: champ, musician
10 white lions: champ, musician
15 swordmasters: FC, gleaming pendant
15 white lions: FC, standard of discipline
5 dragon princes: champ, musician
5 dragon princes: standard, musician, banner of eternal flame
5 shadow warriors
Great eagle
Great eagle
5 sisters
5 sisters
Bolt thrower
2500 on the dot!

This is the list I intend on taking to Cincycon this year and buckeye battles. I will try to post up some reports and my break down of the lists. All comments and questions are most welcome!
Last edited by Cealyne on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Ratvan

Re: Back to MSU

#2 Post by Ratvan »

Hi there

I like the list, especially the core set up. A few questions however.

Why full command on Silver Helms and no bows on the reavers, also you have a lot of points in command upgrades is this to met core requirements?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=59241&p=857158#p857158/url]My MSU Battle Reports[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=60865/url]My Orcs and Goblins Thread[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62115&p=866549#p866549/url]Da Dok's Workshop - 40k Orks[/url]
Cealyne

#3 Post by Cealyne »

@ratvan
Hello back! Thank you for the look!
As to the reavers with no bows. I have found that to me they are almost useless. Hitting on 5's a lot if the time and being S3 doesn't do much for me. I prefer to keep them cheaper and I use the spears more often when charging war machines or flanking as a support combat.
The command options on rest of core, silver helms are optional I guess. As far as the Seaguard an archers go, I take the standards for blood and glory games. The musicians are obvious I think. The champs are for challenging solo characters who happen to make it to them. Allowing me to remain steadfast for help to arrive or just buy me time to figure it out.
Back to te helms, I've had much success with charging them at iron blasters and large monsters and such and winning combat by the extra attack and standard.
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Cealyne

#4 Post by Cealyne »

List break down and summary...

Loremaster: why?
I have toyed with him in many builds and many lists. I have also played around with a lvl4 of shadow, high, life and metal. However when I took the lvl 4 I always felt I was missing 1 or more useful spells from my chosen lore. The raw power of +4 to cast and dispell was great, but I found the utility to be lacking. Since I have moved back to MSU, I find the loremaster to be of great utility to the army. He adds much flexibility to my list. It is true that he might and has struggled against lvl 4 casters, but it always glorious to hold off on a spell that I know my opponent fears. Thus allowing me some measure to cast some smaller spells. For instance, If I am playing warriors with crushers and knights, holding off on trying to cast searing doom and keep the fear in my opponent allows me to freely cast fireball or sems to kill some dogs. Not major but it helps win the chaff war. I find the buffs, debuffs, MM and snipe spell to be invaluable. His combat prowess is also very helpful because my army will be in combat at some point. So it helps he has armor and multiple attacks to add to the combat. Sure he can't kill a chaos lord or greater demon in one shot, but with the right magic support he can perhaps hold them up a few turns.

BSB: I don't think I need to explain him. My reason for his build is the same as every1s reason for running this build. I did not take the halberd because I simply don't have the points.

Core: well first I will adress the commands. Pretty simple really, the musicians are there for the reform and tied combat bonus. Easy! The standards are for blood and glory purposes really. They also come in handy with combat res as I tend to use the archers and Seaguard to flank charge or albeit charge in as support. Now, the standard on the helms is for the same reasons, but more importantly it's there for the combat rea against warmachines. Now the champs, extra attack is always nice, and to challenge a solo character to my units can remain steadfast.
Now, why only 5 reavers and not the norm 2 units?? I swapped to the helms for some added punch from core. They can act as chaff clearers much easier and can act as late game redirecrters and chaff.
Why Seaguard instead of more archers? First, I love the models from island if blood. Secondly, they do hold up in combat a bit better, even if it is just a bit!

Rare: skipping over special ATM.
The eagles do what eagles do. Nothing new. Wouldn't get rid of them because they are better than reavers because of fly mostly. Won't be dropping them anytime soon.
Sisters I feel are a very welcomed edition to our army. Flaming magical shots! What's not to like? They have BS5 so hit more often then Bolters and archers. Plus their bows being S4 is great, they can help clear chaff if no better target is available. And for 70 points, can sub as chaff in a pinch!
The bolter in meh... Really I take it for the thought it might do something. I hope it will surprise me!

Special: okay the meat!
We'll start with the dragon princes. The fact that they are near immune to lore of metal is priceless! And in a competitive scene there is a lot of that running around! Also the built in 6+ ward save helps incredibly. Plus two attacks base is pretty great. Hitting a flank with these guys is great stuff. Add in the flame standard to one and bye bye regen. And there is enough if that running around too, nurgle demons any1! ( shudders ) These guys make wonderful suicide Mage hunters!
The infantry numbers at 2 units of white lions and swords at 15 and 10 pair great with their counter part or "parent unit" so to speak. Backed with multiple charges from each unit or the cav can make a devastating combo!
The only unit I am unsure about is.... You guesses it! The shadow warriors! I mainly included them to help against ogre, skinks or dark elf scouts. Ill play it by ear with them for a minute. Fortunately th points can be switched with a tiranoc chariot, which I know how to use and make it work. Or I can exchange them for another bolter. But I'll see how it plays out.

Hope u enjoyed! Will post up a few or so reports!