HE 1500 All Comers Tourney advice needed

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Captain Crooks

HE 1500 All Comers Tourney advice needed

#1 Post by Captain Crooks »

Hello folks!
I've got a 1500pt tourney coming up, no rules for comp, and for some reason this point level (which i haven't played at yet) is giving me headaches. This is what i've come up with after several revisions.

1487pts

LORDS/HEROES

Archmage: lvl 4, Book of Hoeth

Noble: BSB, Sword of Might, Shield of the Merwyrm, Golden Crown, Potion of Foolhardiness.

CORE:

9 Silverhelms: Shields, FC

5 Reavers: Spears

5 Reavers: Spears

SPECIAL:

5 Dragon Princes

13 Phoenix Guard: FC, World Dragon Banner

RARE:

Frostheart Phoenix

THE PLAN: Bunker the Archmage and BSB with the PG and the crazy banner. Use the abilities of the Reavers to set up the field for some classic hammer/anvil action with DP's and PG's with Frostheart support. Own the magic phase like the good old days. Something something Silverhelms. Have a laugh.

MY WISHES:

This will be my first game using Reavers, i don't feel they are negotiable. This will be the first chance i've had to field an Archmage, and the first time using the Book of Hoeth - i've been playing 1000pts since the new Army Book came out and i've been hating the lack of magic, which was previously a big strength for me, so i really want to keep him in (though you can convince me otherwise if you like). I want to see how a Frostheart Phoenix works out for me, and i want to bring a BSB because i never do and i REALLY suck at leadership tests...

MY CONCERNS:

I've never used a Frostheart before and i don't know if it's taking up too many precious points in a smaller list.
I've got a very small but mobile force that i'm not too experienced in using, and my main hard-hitters, the DP's, have been underperforming a bit lately :s
My Archmage is basically naked save for his book, which i'm used to, but i'm hoping the PG will be bunker enough to protect him with the BoWD.
PG unit is not large, i like to take 20 usually for proper grind-resistance, but i find the combo of PG + Banner creates a force-bubble around them that noone but Steam Tanks and lone Witch Hunters will go near (and i still don't understand the Witch Hunter thing :s) so maybe the numbers aren't so vital.

Please shower me with your golden streams of knowledge! Um, yes.
[quote="Gray"][quote="Aicanor"] What is this glow? A gate opened, burning city, or some chasm of hell?[/quote]

It's a desk lamp.[/quote]