Unconventional Lists

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

Unconventional Lists

#1 Post by Domine Nox »

So I've been trying to think about the sorts of designs people don't normally do, or using characters that people don't normally seem to take advantage of. This is what I got so far.

List 1

Lords
Tyrion
Archmage lv3 - Steed+Barding (high)

Heroes
Dragon Mage lv2 - Dragon Armor, Dispel Scroll, Khaine's Ring
Noble BSB - Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Steed+Barding

Core
14 Silver Helms - FC, Shield
6 Reavers - Musi, Bows
18 Archers - Musi

Special
2 Tiranoc Chariots

Rare
Frostheart
Eagle
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

So the list has Tyrion at the reigns (a rarity). With the focus on a Silver Helm bus almost foregoing the Special section all together. A real case of eggs in one basket, but... the Helms have MR2 from Tyrion, Iron Curse Icon from the noble, and the AM using high magic means they can easily be roaming around with a 4-5++, a 3-4++ vs war machines, and a 2-3++ vs spells. Reavers and Eagle can hunt down things in the backfield. And there's a decent amount of support shooting plus the chariots for chaff. Not to mention the Lvl2 Dragonmage who has the ring for an extra MM as well as boosting him to a 5++ with the Dragon Armor.

List 2

Lords
Loremaster - Sword of Striking, Shield of the Merwyn, Book of Hoeth, Other Tricksters Shard

Heroes
Sea Helm BSB- Sword of Might, Charmed Shield, Iron Curse Icon, bow
Handmaiden - Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength

Core
48 Lothern Sea Guard - FC
5 Reavers - Musi, Bow

Special
5 Dragon Princes - FC
Tiranoc Chariot
20 Phoenix Guard - FC, Banner of Swiftness

Rare
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
20 Sisters
Eagle - Swift Sense, Shredding Talons

This list is obviously much more shooting oriented with 3 bolt throwers and 70 models with ranged weapons. I have yet to see a Seaguard deathstar so figured what the heck. Their survivability is a bit lower, but that's what Iron Curse and Earthblood are for, and the hope of cutting everything down before it gets to you. And of course a 50 man block of Elves is very unwieldy, but that's why the Sea Helm is there so that if you're caught in a bad spot you have the reform charge reaction in a pinch.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Cold Phoenix

Re: Unconventional Lists

#2 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Lords:
Archmage, Lv4 (High), Talisman of Endurance.

The limited equipment is due to the need to fit in the Prince's magic items, not an easy task at 2000 points.

Prince, Heavy Armour, Ring of Fury, Ogre Blade, Shield of the Merwyrm.

This was an attempt to make a Prince on foot worthwhile. He goes with the Phoenix Guard block further down the list and hopefully boosts their ward (and his parry save) to 3++ when not in combat. He also turns them from a nasty tarpit to a substitute hammer unit because he can kill the things they have trouble with, such as monsters or Knights with his 4 ASF S6 AP ( AP comes from the Razor Banner on the Phoenix Guard).

Heroes:
Caradrayn, mounted on Ashtari.

In the past, I haven't been impressed with my Frostheart's ability to kill things, to I paided the 180 Points to swap it for Caradrayn + Ashtari.

Core:
6 Silver Helms, Shields, Standard Bearer.

5 Ellyrian Revers, Bows, Musician.

26 Archers, FC (Archmage goes here).

The Archers deploy 9x3 with the Archmage in one corner. If needed, they can reform deep and substitute for a unit of Spearmen, because the High Magic Lore attribute usually gives them a 5++ ward save.

Special:
20 Phoenix Guard, FC, Razor Banner (Prince here).

I like Phoenix Guard and mine have done very well by me. In earlier lists, I've used them with a Loremaster, but he wasn't able to hold his own against a Dark Elf Lv4 using Dark magic, so I traded him for a the Archmage + Prince.

Rare:
RBT

RBT

Eagle

Total: 1994 points

My opponent conceded turn 5, but it wasn't a good test of this list because he rolled very badly for magic all game. All my magic phase dice were combinations like 5&4 and I got 3 5 or 6 dice Fiery Convocations through, despite him attempting to dispel with the same number of dice. In contrast, he kept rolling 1 on his lower magic dice. In the 2 combats that happened, Caradrayn + Ashtari ate a COK bus over 3 rounds and my Phoenix Guard + Prince routed and ran down a unit of Corsairs.