2400 points of High Elves beginner

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ylannaer

2400 points of High Elves beginner

#1 Post by Ylannaer »

Hello everybody, I am quite new in the forum and the hobby.
Here is my 2400pts army, any help would be appreciated. And last but not least, sorry for my english, i am finnish.
So, lets get started

Lords
Archmage lvl4 (life because everyone likes t7 4+regen lions :DD) book of hoeth, talisman of preservation 320 pts

Heroes
Bsb, barded steed, dragon armour, shield, star lance, other tricksters shard 172pts
Noble, griffon, dragon armour, enchanted shield, sword of might, dawnstone 280pts

Core
12 silver helms, shields, full command 306pts
30 spearmen, full command 300pts
5 reavers, spears and bows 95pts

Special
19 white lions, full command, banner of world dragon 327pts
5 dragon princes of caledor, full command 175pts

Rare
14 sisters of avelorn 224pts
Eagle 50
2 bolt throwers 140pts

Total 2389pts
Mage joins spearmen and bsb silver helms. Could I drop reavers and get more lions?
evinkuruga

Re: 2400 points of High Elves beginner

#2 Post by evinkuruga »

Hello,

In my experience it is never good to spend more than 25% at the core units, rather then dropping the reavers you could switch out the spearmen for a smaller unit of archers and put your archmage in there, far from danger.

Do note that the regenaration spell from lore of life is only for the unit the (arch)mage is in so he won't be able to help the white lions with that spell. Since you need throne of vines aswell and you probably want dwellers below too you will only have flesh to stone to buff your White lions if you take the signature spell. (asuming you actually roll this best case scenario, which is no garantuee to say the least)

As for the number of white lions I would go for 28 (or 27 because of BSB) so you can deploy 7 *4 to do more against a 5 by X formation.

As for the dragon princes, their strength lies in the champions ability to wield the starlance (and charmed shield) so you can field a model which basically packs as much punch as a noble on the charge. Doing so will reduce the need to spend points on a mounted noble aswell.
Ylannaer

#3 Post by Ylannaer »

Thanks for help! But I disagree some things you said: i dont like archers because of s3. They aren't capable to take out anything. Okay, they have a good ballistic skill but I play mostly against dwarwes and they have t4 and good/decent armour save, so archers are not a good choice imo. And star lance, it says mounted CHARACTER only, and Drakemaster is not character, so he cant take it. But anything else is fine, i would drop the reavers and some sisters for more white lions.
Mathias

#4 Post by Mathias »

Ylannaer wrote:Thanks for help! But I disagree some things you said: i dont like archers because of s3. They aren't capable to take out anything. Okay, they have a good ballistic skill but I play mostly against dwarwes and they have t4 and good/decent armour save, so archers are not a good choice imo. And star lance, it says mounted CHARACTER only, and Drakemaster is not character, so he cant take it. But anything else is fine, i would drop the reavers and some sisters for more white lions.
Then I'm using my Dragon Princes wrong since I gave the Champion the Starlance... Can someone confirm this?
Mandavar

#5 Post by Mandavar »

Rules as Written says Ylannaer is right and as there is no meaningful errata out yet that also my opinion.

I know lots off people use the Star Lance on the Drakemaster, basically because Champions are not rank and file models either..

Difficult question ..