Aurynn's Lost Expedition 2500 - 13/06/03 batrep vs. VC

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Which of the lists do you find better?

Eagle Lord Version
43%
Griffon Lord Version
57%

Total votes: 7

aurynn
Location: Looking for a lost Asur expedition somewhere in the Old World

Aurynn's Lost Expedition 2500 - 13/06/03 batrep vs. VC

#1 Post by aurynn »

Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to start my own Army list thread. I am limited by the models and numbers that I own at this moment. I cannot spend money on buying new stuff right now and to be honest I kinda do not want to. I want the list to evolve with the games I play and my fluff will support this as well.

The main idea is "The Lost Asur Expedition". This force is the remnant of an expedition that a young noble organised to explore the Southlands, cross the World's Edge mountains and continue towards the elven colonies in the Old World or towards Araby and get a transport back to Ulthuan. Its purpose was to gather knowledge and magical treasure. And exploration of ancient elven settlements. This expedition got lost and was not heard of for years. No knowledge of their fate reached the elves. Until a brother of the expedition's commander came of age and with a mage friend of his set out to find his elder brother. They did find them in a very, very reduced state while recovering within a dwarven outpost in the World's Edge Mountains (unlikely, I know, but it will make a good story methinks :-)). I will keep the details for the story...

Anyway, this is the current state of the army. I have a Griffon Lord model that I can either play as a Griffon or Eagle. Therefore you will find below two armylists and I would like to hear your opinions on what list is better. Thank you in advance.

The list is meant to be fully offensive and aggressive. It has a rather large PG anvil that can hold a whole flank of enemies or a deathstar of much higher points value, while the rest of the army runs down everything else. The army works on a points dispersion, making a loss of any unit not as devastating at it can be with other armies. Target saturation for enemy machines is clear too. 4 RBTs will pose a serious threat for anything in range and it will be difficult to hide from them.

I hate relying on the fickle magic, so only a lvl2 mage with a dispel and ring to get out possible 3 spells.

EAGLE LORD VERSION:
Lords (318pts)
Prince, General, Dragon Armour, Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Ench. Shield, Giant Blade, The Other Trickster's Shard
Mounted on Great Eagle with Shredding Talons, Swiftsense

Heroes (355pts)
Mage, Lvl 2, High, Dispel Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Barded Steed (rides with smaller SH)
Noble, BSB, GW, HArm, Shield, Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Potion of Foolhardiness, Barded Steed (rides with larger SH)

Core (680pts)
5x Ellyrian Reavers, Spears Only
14x Silver Helms, FCG, Shields
6x Silver Helms, FCG, Shields

Special (865pts)
5x Dragon Princes of Caledor
20x Phoenix Guard, FCG, Razor Standart
5x Shadow Warriors
15x White Lions of Chrace, FCG, BotWD

Rare (280pts)
4x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 2498pts

GRIFFON LORD VERSION:
Lords (448pts)
Prince, General, Dragon Armour, Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Ench. Shield, Giant Blade, The Other Trickster's Shard
Mounted on Griffon with Swooping Strike, Swiftsense

Heroes (359pts)
Mage, Lvl 2, High, Dispel Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Barded Steed (rides with smaller SH)
Noble, BSB, GW, HArm, Lion Cloak, Shield, Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Potion of Foolhardiness, Barded Steed (rides with larger SH)

Core (680pts)

Special (720pts)
5x Shadow Warriors

Rare (280pts)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 2487pts

There are not many changes I can do to the list except swapping Core. I have loads of Spearmen and Archers or LSG and one Tiranoc Chariot. Also a Dragon, but he will require long time to rebuild him as he is broken.

Thank you for opinions.
Last edited by aurynn on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44814&p=804131#p804131]My personal PLOG[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45715]Lost Asur Expedition - army blog[/url]
[quote]"Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage."
- X-files, ep. Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Faulkner[/quote]
Pulstar

Re: Aurynn's Lost Expedition - 2500

#2 Post by Pulstar »

I voted eagle because i think you lose some hitting power trading the Dragon Princes for the Griffon.

The truth is the Prince/Griffon is easier to kill with a cannon the a Eagle prince is, so long as the Eagle price has a ward save.

I love the girffon rider model and want to use it, but I think the Eagle prince is just better.
aurynn

#3 Post by aurynn »

Thanks. I quite agree with you.

Anyone else care to help me here? :-) I would very much appreciate more opinions and criticism.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44814&p=804131#p804131]My personal PLOG[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45715]Lost Asur Expedition - army blog[/url]
[quote]"Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage."
kostasrag8

#4 Post by kostasrag8 »

its eagle lord ,

and griffon heroe.

also i would like to see lvl4 mage
aurynn

#5 Post by aurynn »

Griffon Hero crossed my mind too, but I am little bit afraid of it. Its the same protection problem as with Griffon Prince. However it will make him as combat effective as Eagle Prince.
aurynn

#6 Post by aurynn »

BATREP vs. VC - 2500

High Elves - list made from the models I currently own only.
Prince, General, DA, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Ench. Shield, Giant Blade, TOTS
Mounted on Great Eagle with Shredding Talons, Swiftsense

Spells: Soul Quench, Fiery Convocation
Noble, BSB, GW, HArm, Shield, Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Potion of Foolhardiness, Barded Steed (rides with larger SH)

5x Dragon Princes of Caledor
5x Shadow Warriors

---------------------------------------------
Vampire Counts
Lord Vampire, lvl 4, Lore of Vampires, 4+ Ward, Dispel Scroll, something else, but don't remember
2x 50 Skeleton Warriors, FCG
1x 28 Grave Guards, FCG, GW = TG1
1x 28 Grave Guards, FCG, handweapon, shield = TG2
40x Crypt Ghouls, FCG
2x 5 Dire Wolves

----------------------------------------------

I understand that this might not be much entertaining batrep as it is a battle of two very suboptimal lists, but It is a start and I hope that in the future I will provide more. :-) It is my very first batrep ever (including my first try with Battle Chronicler), so please let me know where I should improve on my description, pictures, etc.

DEPLOYMENT:
I used the RBTs to lure out as much of his forces before I placed my main combat elements, deployed my Ellyrians opposite his Dire Wolves, confident that they can beat them and either redirect or run around his combat blocks to get some rear charges. I deployed the PG anvil against his CG to lock them in place for long enough to get rear/flank charges and WL to support them. My SH block went right next to the WL to keep the BSB bubble on the main combat blocks and I had a surprise move in mind. :-) I have put the rest of the Cavalry with the Mage on the left flank to circle and pincer with Ellyrians and Lord. Shadow Warriors were positioned to harass and rearcharge. His left Tomb Guard are those with GW. He Vanguard-moved his Wolves forward, I stayed.

VC TURN 1:
He marched everything forward as far as he could, with Dire Wolves only shuffling forward. I believe that even on a long charge, he should have tried and charge me. This maneuvre gave him nothing. Or he could move them up to my face to prevent my Ellyrians to get far afield with a charge. His move brought his Skellies into a swamp, killing few. Magic uneventful as he lost concentration on the first cast.

HE TURN 1:
I charged the Ellyrians and made my first mistake by charging the Eagle Lord too needlessly. I moved the PG and WL up a few inches to goad him into failed charges and to prevent any unit charging my SH block. Magic has seen me cast both bound and mage's soulquench into his skellies (on purpose to get up +2 Ward on my DP bunker in case of Miscast). I guessed he won't be dispelling such spells on mere Skellies. Then I 6-diced fiery convo on the Tomb Guard with GW. No IF, he dispels on 6-dice. Shooting plings some Ghouls and CG (my bad positioning did not allow concentration of fire).
Combat meant the end for both Dire Wolves. My left Ellyrians reform, my right ones overrun to protect badly positioned Eagle Lord. Meagre protection, but there was not much else I could do.

VC TURN 2:
He tried to charge me with his Ghouls and GW Guard, fails and shuffles forward. He charged my Ellyrians, wiped them and overran just an inch shy of my Eagle Lord (whew!). He marched his HW Guard forward towards my RBTs. He turns his Skellies towards my flanking cavalry and some more sink to their graves in the swamp. Magic sees him cast some MM on my lions, killing only 1 thanks to BotWD. Tries to cast Macabre, I dispel with a scroll, everything else I dispel on dice.

HE TURN 2:
The battle starts getting interesting. I charge his CG easily, circle around and through the gaps in his formations and my SH trumpet sounds a reform command. I reform the SH and move them to goad a charge from the HW Guard. GW guard could not charge SH due to the edge of WL.
Magic sees just one Soul Quench on the Skellies. Shooting drops some HW Guards. Combat - My PG champ issues a challenge to the CG, is accepted by the Ghoul Champ and kills him. He puts as many attacks into my WL as he can, but I win combat big and lose only 4 WL and 1 PG. He duly crumbles some more. :-)

VC TURN 3:
As expected, the GW Guard charges my WL, Skellies try and charge my RBT but shuffle only, and HW Guard takes the bait and fails the charge, shuffling towards my SH. The left skellies reform into a thin line to block my encirclement. Magic sees him 6-dice the big raise spell and gets his Guard units to full, ressurects parts of everything else save for rightmost Skellies. Combat sees him lose again and 5 more of my WL die as well as 2 PG. I put as much WL hurt as I can into GW Guard.

HE TURN 3:
Turn of my triumph and stupid mistake. Well to be honest I wanted to prove to myself something, seeing that I will probably finish him off anyway but in terms of tactics it was a mistake. Simply put, instead of charging his leftmost skellies just with Shadow Warriors to lock him in place and going around him with my cavalry (easy to maneuver with 3-wide frontage), I charged him. I was duly rewarded by my DP failing their Fear test... (sigh). I charged SH into the HW Guard and charged Ghouls on the flank with Eagle Lord and on the rear with Ellyrians. Thanks to TOTS I kill his Vampire Lord with my EP and destroy the rest of the Ghoul unit. I lose all remaining WLs. I still win combat by a lot. My SH kill 12 HW Guard on charge even though my BSB fluffs all his wound rolls (3x1 sheesh!) and BSB gets Killing Blow-ed along with one other SH. The combat on the left sees my fearful DP lose one of their own (nothing more) and crumbling of quite a few Skellies. Many more remain though. Victory over the Ghouls sees me reform so I can charge his HW Guard with PG and EP (was thinking not to do sou due to Killing Blow). Ellyrians reform to either redirect GW Guard in the future turn or flank charge them should they charge the SH.

VC TURN 4:
I now realize that I made a mistake in the chronicler as the Skellies managed to kill 2 of my RBTs, but that is not especially important on the movement graphs. However this was how the board looked like. My oponnent knew that he will most probably kill only the two remaining RBTs before he crumbles completely with the loss of his Vampire so he conceded.

I have lost: BSB, WL, ER, 2x RBT and was looking at losing max 2 more RBTs.
He lost: Vampire Lord, CG, 2x Wolves and was looking at a loss of everything.
My first report is a victory! Let's see how long it will take before I post a defeat...

UNITS PERFORMANCE:
Eagle Lord (A) Did exactly what I wanted him to do. He had a very easy job though with no shooting on the enemy's side. I expect him having much harder time in other games.

Mage (B) I did not miss a lvl 4, but he failed to have some significant impact save for scrolling and dispelling.

BSB (A-) Saved me some fear tests, but botched his charge and died. Can't blame him though. It was my tactical decision to send him into killing blows

Ellyrians (A) They killed chaff and contributed to important combat. Cannot ask more of them.

Big Silver Helms (A) Again did as expected and confirmed my idea that cavalry does not need to rush forward.

Small Silver Helms (B) Fast and maneuverable, good for pincer maneuver. My tactical decision made them perform not that good against Skellies. Again - cannot blame them. If they reached the rear of Tomb Guard at the right time, they would have done OK.

Dragon Princes (B-) Cannot forgive them failing a Fear test! Otherwise good and mobile bunker for the mage. Did not have a miscast though so cannot vouch for them objectively in this regard.

White Lions (B) They served as a spell magnet for the first damage spell (as they should), however their squishiness did not serve them that well in CC. But they did their share of killing. They did not have their ideal opponents against them though.

Phoenix Guard (A+) I love these guys! They are so difficult to kill that having 20 is like having 40 without wards, but with all the other goodness! Which means 3.75 skavenslaves for WS5, S4, I6, ASF infantry with Martial Prowess and Fear!

Shadow Warriors (A-) I know I did not give them much credit in the batrep, but they killed more than their cost by shooting and had I used them correctly they would be absolutely cool!

RBTs (B-) They are not bad, only in this game they have not been utilized by me as best as they could and they did not have their "perfect targets". Although through hindsight I should have poured everything into the HW Guard and run them over with a single sweep of my SH bus and continue elsewhere.

I will be glad for your comments and criticism.