2500 pts. Chrace-themed army list to discuss!

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

kubrick54

2500 pts. Chrace-themed army list to discuss!

#1 Post by kubrick54 »

Hey guys! Long-time reader, first-time poster! I've been playing 40k a lot in the past few years and decided to come back to fantasy with the 8th edition and I love it! However, I find that my former HE list (I've been playing them since 5th edition), a heavily Caledor list with a dragon-mage and lots of dragon princes has been somewhat nerfed due to the new changes. So I decided to focus my efforts on my second list, a heavily Chrace-themed army. I've been playing that list since the beginning of 7th edition but I tweaked it to match the new rules. So here it goes!

Lords: 315

Archmage lvl.4 with Silver Wand and Folariath's robe 315 pts.

Comment: I plan on using Life magic (duh...) and to put her in a White lions unit. She will be able to counter horde units (dwellers), support my fragile, elite warriors (Flesh and Regrowth).

Heroes: 320

Korhil 140 pts.

Comment: Fits the Chrace theme and will lead the Lion guard (Pheonix guard) to grant them stubborn. Also a cheap character that can dish a lot of damage.

Noble BSB with Great weapon, Barded lion (steed), Dragon armour, Amulet of light and Dawnstone 180 pts.

Comment: will the other White lions unit to give them Magical attacks (I play against VC a lot), the obvious BSB bonuses and another 3 S6 attacks. Has a 3+ re-rollable save which is nice. I toyed with the idea to give him Guardian Pheonix but in the end, I chose the re-roll.

Core: 630

40 Spearelves with full command 385 pts.

Comment: Great anti-horde unit.

20 archers with full command 245 pts.

Comment: Granted the champ is not really the greatest thing but I need him for the core points. The will provide a little fire support to take down fast cavalry and other small units/warmachines

Special: 1225

16 White lions with full command, Champ with Gem of courage and Banner of the Eternal flame. 280 pts.

Comment: Will be joined by BSB. 3 Ranks of 6. Can dish out a lot of damage and with the Gem and BSB + stubborn, they won't be running away anytime soon. The flaming attacks are for all the hydras and trolls out there!

20 White lions with full command, Champ with the Other trickster's shard (models in BTB must re-roll successfull ward saves) and Banner of sorcery. 395 pts.

Comment: Will be joined by Archmage. 3 Ranks of 7. Another good fighting unit...

13 Lion guards (pheonix guards) with full command and Razor standard (armor piercing attacks) . 270 pts.

Comment: Will be joined by Korhil to make them stubborn. 2 ranks of 7. Can dish out good damage and take some punishment as well...

Lion chariot 140 pts.

Lion chariot 140 pts.

Comment: Counter-charge units to help defeat strong enemy units and can also flank...

That's 2500 pts. on the nose!

So, what do you think? Do you have some advice? Things you don't like? Thank you for helping me with your future comments!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: 2500 pts. Chrace-themed army list to discuss!

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Some interesting ideas...

The Archmage looks good. I'd be tempted to give her either the 4+ Ward or Talisman of Saphery as well for maximum protection. The problem with Korhil is that he dies easily. Of course you're running Life so you can help him out with buffs. Bit of a fluff pick though I think. The BSB is very vulnerable to war machines, especially cannon as he doesn't get a 'look out sir' roll. You could give him Charmed Shield and/or Guardian Phoenix but it's still a bit of a gamble.

The Core looks OK except that lacking RBT I'd split the Archers into two units. You may need to shoot more than one target per turn. The PG are interesting, I've no idea how they'd do though. The Lion chariots could work well with your blocks I think.

RBT are a matter of taste and you have some archers so can get by without with a direct playstyle. But eagles you really, really need. Failing that Reavers or Shadow Warriors but eagles are best.
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

BSB should have Helm of Fortune instead of Dawnstone.

Don't count on the PG being Stubborn. The enemy should just kill Khorhil. More PG and the war banner will probably keep them going longer than Khorhil

Get two Eagles. You need something to help out your small unit count.
kubrick54

#4 Post by kubrick54 »

Shoot! didn't know about the look out sir! thing with a mounted character! Now I will need to go over his equipment again...

I was thinking eagle also but I'm not sure what to remove from the list to make them fit...
Foxbat

#5 Post by Foxbat »

Yeah, I too would put the BSB on foot. Also, move the Amulet of Light to the Guardian in the BSB’s unit and revise his equipment as required (likely the Armour of Caledor + Guardian Phoenix or Dawnstone).

I would consider dropping the PG unit and making the Spears into your Archmage bunker. To make the Spears even better I would consider giving the unit the Banner of Discipline. The value of having Ld10 troops just can’t be underestimated. Also, give the Archmage either the Talisman of Saphery or the Talisman of Preservation. If you do add the Banner of Discipline to the Spears, you should be able to drop one Archer and one Spear model to hit the 25% Core requirement right on (this should shave 5 points from your current Core spend).

You could also place Korhil in the Spears to make them Stubborn and to act as the Archmage’s bodyguard.

With your remaining points you can add GE, RTBs, increase unit sizes, and/or add other units.