2,000 Points vs. Ogre Kingdoms

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Dentu

2,000 Points vs. Ogre Kingdoms

#1 Post by Dentu »

Hi, I'm still new to the hobby and posting here, though I've been lurking for stratagems for a while now. I'm facing my friend, also a newbie, tomorrow. He plays the Ogre Kingdoms. Anyway, my list-

Archmage level 4 with Seerstaff, Folariath's Robe and on a Horse using the Lore of Life (General)

Mage level 2 with Talisman of Endurance and Silver Wand using the Lore of Fire
Noble with Foe Bane and Armor of Caledor

30x Lothern Sea Guard with full command
10x Archers with musician

10x Sword Masters with full command, Howling Standard, and Guardian Phoenix
8x Phoenix Guard with full command, Banner of Sorcery, Sword of Might, and Curse Icon
5x White Lions
8x Silver Helms with full command

=1996 points

I'm lacking a proper piece for a BSB which is why I'm not using one. I was thinking of putting the noble with the sword masters and letting the mage and archmage float. Buff the swordmasters and keep them alive with Throne of Vines-enhanced Flesh to Stone and Regrowth. I'm really afraid of the sheer damage the ogres can deal here.

Thoughts?
Bolt Thrower

Re: 2,000 Points vs. Ogre Kingdoms

#2 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Folariath's Robe is model on foot only, so your Archmage can't take a horse while wearing it.

It seems like odd numbers on the special units. Are you limited by models you own? Maybe your opponent would be so kind as to let you proxy models for other things.

As it is, it will be difficult to protect those Phoenix Guard and White Lions from running away. Sword Masters have historically been run more efficiently in small numbers (assuming they don't get shot up). So, maybe dropping them down to 7 and then combining your PG and WL points into one unit of one or the other would clean up the noise a bit. 8 helms probably won't get you much more than just 5 so that would be better. Then take the points saved from the 3 dropped there and the 3 dropped swordmasters and get a bolt thrower in there :D

This would leave you with the following roughly:

AM
Mage
Noble
30 LSG
10 Archers
7 Sword Masters
13 Phoenix Guard (or lions but I like PG)
5 Silver Helms
1 RBT
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Dentu

#3 Post by Dentu »

Yeah, that was all the specials I own except for five shadow warriors that I figured would be entirely useless versus ogres. The RBT is something I left out initially because I had no room, but knocking out silver helms and sword masters makes sense. And I could really use something that can just about auto-kill an ogre every turn, so absolutely. Would it make sense to shift the two mage models around and make the archmage on foot and the regular mage on horseback in order to retain the robe?
Bolt Thrower

#4 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I think shifting the steed would be just fine. I actually like running a mage on a steed. They are very maneuverable and that's always handy.

I never have the models I need in my lists as the cash usually goes towards sustaining life, leaving little to put towards my army. I often have dragon princes that look suspiciously like silver helms and spearmen that dressed up like goblins for the day. :lol:
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves