Need some help with a list.

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

one87

Need some help with a list.

#1 Post by one87 »

I have been trying to make a 2400 "all commers" list.
The Original idea was posted in the armylist section but i got alot of critism. I was wondering if any1 can help me with a decent one.
In general i was thinking:
lvl 4 shadow mage.
15 silverhelms with a prince. (And maybe bsb?)
30 ish Phoenixguard with razorbanner.
2 x 5 reavers
frostheart
Maybe an eagle noble?

Anyhelp with a decent starter list from which i can work from would be awsome. The above will have some trouble with high-armor lists i gues.
So maybe i should add DP or SM/Lions?. Also equiping my royalty seems difficult and i cant deside wether to put everything on a horse and into the SH bus or split them up. putthing the mage in some archers. and the bsb in the PG for example.

thanks in advance.
rothgar13

Re: Need some help with a list.

#2 Post by rothgar13 »

Try checking out some of the sample lists in my 8th Edition High Elves Handbook. Hopefully, those will give you something to build off.
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

[b][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf04zlExM8c]My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.[/url][/b]
wisetiger7

#3 Post by wisetiger7 »

15 Silverhelms is a bit much for one unit, unless you are going 8 wide. Anything less, and you are wasting attacks. Silverhelms that don't attack the round that they charge are a waste of points. They make up their points first turn, as it is easier to would with S5 rather than S3. It is also important to remember that the helms will mainly be a 'bus' to protect your prince and/or BSB. The prince should be doing a good chunk of damage. At least one of your mounted fighty characters should have a Star Lance. S7 on the charge, no armor saves allowed against it, it can wreck someone's day. Banner of the World Dragon would go well with this unit if you have a BSB in it.

10 silver helms charging into the flank will allow you to disrupt as well as being a solid bus for your characters. Maybe think about knocking down your silver helms to 10, and put the rest of your points into a mage bunker for your lord. Throw the book on him for solid casting. Shadow is a great lore. But there are no real outright offensive spells. They are all hexes mostly. Sure Pit of Shades will be useful against Lizards and Ogres, but mainly you will be using the hexes. High Magic on the other hand will give you +1 to cast making it harder for the enemy to dispel, and give you a little more variety, including some offensive repertoire, whilst buffing your mage's unit.

I currently am riding 9 dragon princes with BotWD bussing the BSB with Star Lance. Solid protection, and solid damage output to win combat turn 1. Remember that we need the enemy to break to our cavalry after one round of combat, or all of a sudden we're hitting at S3. I run them 5 wide, and yes, it pulls down dragon prince efficiency a bit for the back rank only gets 1 attack each, but two ranks allows me to disrupt, again, helping assure a victorious combat in one round of combat.
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)
rothgar13

#4 Post by rothgar13 »

Wait, how exactly is 15 Silver Helms wasting attacks? Did you forget Martial Prowess?

[b][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf04zlExM8c]My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.[/url][/b]
pk-ng

#5 Post by pk-ng »

rothgar13 wrote:Wait, how exactly is 15 Silver Helms wasting attacks? Did you forget Martial Prowess?
The way i see it: If you put characters in there some will be psuhed back to the 4th rank.
But you are bound to get shot at so you can think of it as collateral damage?
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
rothgar13

#6 Post by rothgar13 »

Then just field 14 + BSB or something. The point is that a unit of Silver Helms 3 ranks deep is decidedly not a waste - everyone gets to fight, and you get 3 ranks to combat Steadfast with.

wisetiger7

#7 Post by wisetiger7 »

rothgar13 wrote:Wait, how exactly is 15 Silver Helms wasting attacks? Did you forget Martial Prowess?
Absolutely forgot Martial Prowess :!: I still think 10 is sufficient, enough to disrupt, and still opens up some points for a proper mage bunker, especially if the BSB is with DPs, then the 10 helms and the DPs could run havoc with combo charges :P
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)