Common Lvl. 2 Builds

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rommel44

Common Lvl. 2 Builds

#1 Post by Rommel44 »

Hey mates. Still working on updating my list to something that I feel with being more competitive, and I have decided on running Alarielle, and placing her in a unit of 30x Swordmasters w/BOWD =D. However, since she is going to be runnign High Magic, I am also running a Lvl. 2 Wizard, but not sure what lore to give him or what is the "Best Build" for him in this edition.
Appreciate the help mates.
Larkspire

Re: Common Lvl. 2 Builds

#2 Post by Larkspire »

Dispel scroll+Ring of fury is probably best.As for the rest,season to taste..lore will be matchup dependent.Shadow is almost always good.
Eirik

#3 Post by Eirik »

Oh man, I would not want to rely on magic against the high elf player with book of hoeth and dispel scroll.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
jayzerus

#4 Post by jayzerus »

I always run a level 2 on metal with Khaines Ring of Fury and a dispel scroll. Good for taking out miscellaneous chaff (ring on one die), heavily armored troops and characters (searing doom) and of course, the scroll.

Even if he doesn't do anything with searing doom, just the fact that you have it will sometimes cause your opponent to play differently than he/she wants to.
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

For me, if I even run a second, low level mage, the dispel scroll is a must. That's the cheapest option and from there, it depends on where the mage is going to be put. The ring is only useful if your mage will be within 18" of the enemy or in a unit that will benefit from a ward buff i.e. not useful if he's bunkered in a unit of 10 archers on your back board edge. Other than the ring I think you should be looking at other 'utility' items, again depending on the mage's role. For instance, the crown of command, ironcurse icon, etc, etc can all be very useful on a secondary mage depending on where he is going to be deployed.
Rommel44

#6 Post by Rommel44 »

John Rainbow wrote:For me, if I even run a second, low level mage, the dispel scroll is a must. That's the cheapest option and from there, it depends on where the mage is going to be put. The ring is only useful if your mage will be within 18" of the enemy or in a unit that will benefit from a ward buff i.e. not useful if he's bunkered in a unit of 10 archers on your back board edge. Other than the ring I think you should be looking at other 'utility' items, again depending on the mage's role. For instance, the crown of command, ironcurse icon, etc, etc can all be very useful on a secondary mage depending on where he is going to be deployed.
Currently I was considering putting him in a Horde of either Spearmen or Seaguard w/a Dispel Scroll and the Ring of Fury so he can help cast spells and give the Seaguard a Ward-Save in the process, however Im still not sure what Lore to give him. Already plan to take Alarielle w/High Magic, and right now I am debating on either Shadow or Beats to take with my Lvl. 2. Thoughts?
John Rainbow

#7 Post by John Rainbow »

I would go with either Beasts, Heavens or High magic. You want something low cost (Alarielle will use most of your dice most turns) and something that can maybe benefit the unit he's in. If you're planning on stacking ward saves, High might be a better option as a 6++ from the Ring really isn't worth much at all.
NexS

#8 Post by NexS »

I always go High Magic with a scroll. The Lv 2 mage in my lists are almost always used for ward save buffing/scroll caddy. I'm guessing they survive mainly because I put them in units with more threatening characters to steal the attention. Or maybe he's just a lucky mofo!
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
HERO

#9 Post by HERO »

Lv.2, Ring, Scroll, High Magic, in PG unit
Lv.1, Heavens, Scroll
Lv.1, Beast, Scroll
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]