Lore of Heavens some nice synergy

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eltherion

Lore of Heavens some nice synergy

#1 Post by Eltherion »

With the White Lions & Sword Masters losing their re-rolls, I was looking at Heavens to give them a boost.

I run a Level 4 with the Book of Hoeth

Lore Attribute Roiling Skies: When a spell from the Lore of heavens Targets an enemy flying unit the target receives D6 Strength 4 hits in addittion to the spells effect. good vs. flyers* Useful vs. WoC flyers, HE's, Bret Pegs, DE Pegs. No good vs. Ogres, Skaven, TK's, Orcs & Goblins (unless Wyvern).

signature spell Iceshard blizzard: low casting 7+: -1 to hit SM's and WL's could mean only receiving hits on a 5+ nice! ***

Harmonic Convergence: low casting 6+ : re-rolling 1's to hit, wound and armour saves, before it wasn't needed as much but now its great! All friendly units within 12"s on high casting 12+ ****

Wind Blast: low casting 7+ : not as bad as it looks but very situational * Try on a flyer to get the extra D6 Strength 4 hits. (probably swap it out for Iceshard)

Curse of Midnight Wind medium casting 10+ :Target re-rolls 6's to hit, wound and armor saves
pretty good combat assist ****

Urannon's Thunderbolt: medium casting 10+ : d6 Str 6 hits an ok magic missile **

Comet of Casandora: high casting 12+ a pretty good spell if used carefully ***

Chain Lightning: high casting 15+ potentially pretty good vs. MSU style lists as it can keep bouncing ***

So overall *** the Lore of Heavens has improved over what it was, but mainly if using SM's, WL's, Lion Chariots or Characters using GW's, or HE cavalry, then Harmonic Convergence is pretty good.
Last edited by Eltherion on Sun May 19, 2013 6:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
Turion Rilyaloce

Re: Lore of Heavens some nice synergy

#2 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

Good points, I also see synergy for cavalry lists with heavens. Harmonic convergence stops rubber lance syndrome, wind blast and comet both help against castling and gun lines, curse stops killing blow bypassing your 2+ armour. Both thunder bolts and lore attribute deal with units cavalry hate... Flyer that move faster and can redirect or make charges against them to take away lance bonuses. So maybe ideally a Cav prince list with SM and WL in support :)
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Sackree

#3 Post by Sackree »

I would have never condsidered heavens in our last book, but it will now be my go to lore with Lvl 2 metal support, in games which I'm not taking the loremaster.

It now synergises exceptionally well! Giving us rerolls for our great weapons and rubber lances, stopping enemies wounding our phoenixs on 6's, and making sure we pass our 2+ AS.

Though i feel it might not perform as well as we want if we fail to roll a 1 on spell selection.
It's also not worth taking an extra Lvl 1 heavens mage just to make sure our lvl 4 has harmonic.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Eltherion

#4 Post by Eltherion »

Turion Rilyaloce
I agree our cavalry can also get nice benefits, shame we can only cast 1 Harmonic Convergence per turn :(.

Sackree
The odds of getting Harmonic Convergence is better than 4/6, as rolling a double helps, but unfortunately not guaranteed unless using Teclis.
Last edited by Eltherion on Mon May 13, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

Sackree

#5 Post by Sackree »

Eltherion wrote:Turion Rilyaloce

I agree our cavalry can also get nice benefits, shame we can only cast 1 Harmonic Convergence per turn.

Sackree

The odds of getting Harmonic Convergence is better than 4/6, as rolling a double helps, but unfortunately not guaranteed unless using Teclis.
Remember the spell can be bubbled 12"

I know the odds are good, but we've all had those games where we've rolled 3, 4, 5, 6

When want 1 & 2
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Eltherion

#6 Post by Eltherion »

Good point I forgot about the bubble effect nice!!!!

jhneoh

#7 Post by jhneoh »

Comet is even better now. Why?

Banner of the World Dragon

If you're taking Swordmasters or White Lions, there's a good chance that they'll be protected by the Banner of the World Dragon. Once you're stuck in combat with the enemy, just drop a Comet or 2 on yourself and you'll take at most 1 or 2 wounds while the opponent will take a lot more.
siovim

#8 Post by siovim »

I still don't have the new book ( you should think that the mailman dosen't know where i live), but dosen't our cavalry have ASF??

If so, they can't use the re-rolls to hit bonus for harmonic convergence, but i admit that re-roll of 1 on wounding and our armour saves are to good to pass up :)
cptcosmic

#9 Post by cptcosmic »

siovim wrote: If so, they can't use the re-rolls to hit bonus for harmonic convergence, but i admit that re-roll of 1 on wounding and our armour saves are to good to pass up :)
that is right but WL and SM can. lore of heavens works similar to lore of light in the old book in this regard. high S magic missiles to weaken targets, small debuffs & buffs to tip the result in our favor and anti warmachines.

the difference is that you dont have to take several mages to use make use of it.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#10 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

How do you understand "synergy", Eltherion?

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#11 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Heavens was great for my old list, Harmonic convergence helped my shooting, combat, and the armour saves on my Heavy Cav, while Iceshard, and curse hindered my opponents.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
CrystalRainbow

#12 Post by CrystalRainbow »

This actually looks like a very good idea :) I'll be playing a 3k game vs ogres on Wednesday so I think I'll test out Heavens and do a Battle Report on it to share how it goes.
Eltherion

#13 Post by Eltherion »

Hi Swordmaster
"Synergy" I see it is the Magic, Magic items or character that goes well with a particular army or set of units enhancing their usefulness.

So the WL's and SM's which lost their re-rolls in this new book, can regain re-rolls of 1's if Harmonic Convergence is cast on them. While in the previous HE book they already had re-rolls to hit so didn't need the re-rolls of 1's to hit.

Other spells in the Lore of Heavens are also useful depending on the armies make up and situation.

siovim
Where the re-rolls of 1's comes in useful for our cavalry is when they do their 2+ armor saves which if they fail with Harmonic Convergence they get to re-roll the 1's.
Last edited by Eltherion on Sun May 19, 2013 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

cptcosmic

#14 Post by cptcosmic »

Eltherion wrote:Good point I forgot about the bubble effect nice!!!!
the bubble helps RBT and sisters of avelorn too (which is a decent replacement for curse of arrow attraction)
Eltherion

#15 Post by Eltherion »

Ye that spell is way better than I originally thought.

Turion Rilyaloce

#16 Post by Turion Rilyaloce »

I'm really liking this lore, it's not overtly powerful, but every spell is useful and can be used to great effect in combination with so many different units, and very reasonable casting values means the winds of magic wont cripple you most times. If Light wasn't so good in combination with a Dragonlord this would be my default spell lore.
[color=#8000BF]Take a voyage to Tor Caled and behold Prince Tûrion Rilyalocë and the mighty Laurëdraugnir as well as their Caledorian host.http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46899[/color]
Harry Tuttle

#17 Post by Harry Tuttle »

I am also a big fan of Heavens magic, and used it more than any other lore with the 7th ed book. In particular, I like Iceshard Blizzard a lot. The -1 to hit goes a long way towards making our troops harder to hit. It is a subtle bonus that some people underestimate. It is fairly easy to cast and it is signature as well, so you can count on getting it.
----
If you cut off my head would I be me and my head, or me and my body?