Ogres! Tactics!

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Kulgan

Re: Ogres! Tactics!

#31 Post by Kulgan »

So it depends on the actual wording of the item wether it affects HE or not.
Exactly. So we probably need someone to literally quote this item or special rule.
commander

#32 Post by commander »

It's not an item. I read it the other day.

"Any enemy unit within 6" is subject to the always strike last special rule"

I believe that was the exact wording (read it yesterday!).

Im 99% sure it didn't say:

"like they were weilding a great weapon"
or anything along those lines.
I wish it weren't true!
None should question the will of Asuryan!
Kulgan

#33 Post by Kulgan »

Well what's the problem then? IMO HE still will go first.
commander

#34 Post by commander »

Kulgan wrote:Well what's the problem then? IMO HE still will go first.
We are inititive 5 base, so yes, we'll go first. Just means we won't get any re-rolls.
Minsc

#35 Post by Minsc »

Read it yesterday: It gives basic ASL to all enemies within 6", so it negates ASF.

You'll get to strike first, but you'll also have to make do without rerolls.
Dj Noise

#36 Post by Dj Noise »

Ugh, i just had to deal with this today againt's an Ogre player and we had a hour long argument on it and we asked 10 people nad it was literally 5v5 on how it works half saying we attack at Ini order, other half saying we go last because ASL cancels ASF and then we have GS ASL still >< why is this such an issue...
Kulgan

#37 Post by Kulgan »

Well asf and asl cancelling out each other, making initiative order count again is literally in the brb. Look up the proper page number then snack the book in his face.
Phloop

#38 Post by Phloop »

Kulgan wrote:Well asf and asl cancelling out each other, making initiative order count again is literally in the brb. Look up the proper page number then snack the book in his face.
And if they still throw a fannywobble point them to all the other cheap tricks they just got in their new book and tell them to stop moaning.
[size=50]Track record since May 2011:[/size]
Ξ W 16 Ξ L 34 Ξ D 5 Ξ
[quote="Ptolemy"]Becalming [Cognition] is a bastard. Its a bastard child of OJ Simpson and Cruella DeVille. [...] As if having a giant Toad that got instructions on magic from ET wasn't enough, they give it the powers of Zen Buddhist Kung-Fu flick monks on top of it.[/quote]
FateWeaver

#39 Post by FateWeaver »

Rule Book, page 66, under always strikes last: "If a model has both this rule, and always strikes first, the two cancel out and neither applies so use the models inciative".

On another note, has anyone thought of ways to deal with Ogres and the new rules for their charging?
Phloop

#40 Post by Phloop »

Don't get charged?
I'm seriously stressing about taking my friend's O.K. on now. Before the update he dominated. Now he's gonna rip me a new one...
[size=50]Track record since May 2011:[/size]
Ξ W 16 Ξ L 34 Ξ D 5 Ξ
[quote="Ptolemy"]Becalming [Cognition] is a bastard. Its a bastard child of OJ Simpson and Cruella DeVille. [...] As if having a giant Toad that got instructions on magic from ET wasn't enough, they give it the powers of Zen Buddhist Kung-Fu flick monks on top of it.[/quote]
commander

#41 Post by commander »

Dj Noise wrote:Ugh, i just had to deal with this today againt's an Ogre player and we had a hour long argument on it and we asked 10 people nad it was literally 5v5 on how it works half saying we attack at Ini order, other half saying we go last because ASL cancels ASF and then we have GS ASL still >< why is this such an issue...
Yeah, i see what they mean, but thats because they aren't high elf players. The speed of asuryan rule is essentially two rules. Ignore great weapons, and their effect on initiative, and get the always strike first rule.

Thus when they are cancelled out, the other part of the rule is still in effect, not making us Initiative 1 for having great weapons. Ill go through why, with the wording, if you like. But, if anyone told me i was initiative 1, i would tell them to get a life, and get a brain. :P
chris_havoc

#42 Post by chris_havoc »

Speed of Asuryan - "All High Elves have the special rule "Always Strike First", regardless of the weapon they are wielding."

Numbing Chill - "Any enemy model within 6" of a Thundertusk has the Always Strikes Last special rule."

Having actually typed them out I've changed my mind. I used to be of the belief that our Great Weapons would strike last but because every single one of our High Elves counts as having ASF regardless then it seems to me to be initiative order. As you would disregard the ASL rule of the weapon completely.

Even if this isn't the case I also remember asking somewhere on the Carpe Noctem Forum (http://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Hit ... rave-Guard) about casting ASF twice on Grave Guard and the general consensus was that it couldn't be applied twice to a unit. Thus I would apply the same logic here. The special rules can't be stacked and because both are present having them applied to the unit again should have no effect. This logic could get complicated though. Does this mean that if you cast Birona's Timewarp on a unit of Grave Guard that this aura effect would have no effect because the ASL rule has already been applied by the Great Weapons? I would say yes and I would also say that casting Binora's Timewarp on a unit of High Elves affected by this aura would only serve to give them an extra attack and not ASF again.
This war will tear apart the sky,
Letting through the light and we will survive!
And we'll sing!
Marching onward, we're singing for our freedom!
Tethlis

#43 Post by Tethlis »

I really disagree about bringing in multiple layers of ASF versus ASL.

My logic:
-Speed of Asuryan says we ignore the Always Strikes last penalty conferred by great weapons. Basically this means we don't have ASL on us at all, it simply isn't in the equation for our great-weapon wielding troops.
-The special rule brings Always Strikes Last into the equation, and Speed of Asuryan doesn't protect us from it. We ignore the penalty from the weapons we carry, but we don't ignore it if it's on us from other sources. Always Strikes Last is now reintroduced into the equation for us, and we now suffer a penalty that we are not immune to.
-However, since we don't discount Speed of Asuryan, we are now like every other army wielding a great weapon that also gets ASF: The two cancel, we go in Initiative order.

This has been stated multiple times in this thread, it seems perfectly clear to me, and this is the version that I will propagate among the gaming groups and tournaments that I attend.
Last edited by Tethlis on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warden of Tor Galadh
joey_boy

#44 Post by joey_boy »

Tethlis wrote:I really disagree about bringing in multiple layers of ASF versus ASL.

My logic:
-Speed of Asuryan says we ignore the Always Strikes last penalty conferred by great weapons. Basically this means we don't have ASF on us at all, it simply isn't in the equation for our great-weapon wielding troops.
-The special rule brings Always Strikes Last into the equation, and Speed of Asuryan doesn't protect us from it. We ignore the penalty from the weapons we carry, but we don't ignore it if it's on us from other sources. Always Strikes Last is now reintroduced into the equation for us, and we now suffer a penalty that we are not immune to.
-However, since we don't discount Speed of Asuryan, we are not like every other army wielding a great weapon that also gets ASF: The two cancel, we go in Initiative order.

This has been stated multiple times in this thread, it seems perfectly clear to me, and this is the version that I will propagate among the gaming groups and tournaments that I attend.
I think you guy have it wrong. I would look at it like this. You get ASF regardless of the weapon being used. It dose not say that you ignore the effects of the weapon only that you gain ASF regardless of other rules of the GW. Now since the wording on speed of asyrian is such that it only grants immunity to GW/ASL when you have ASF then by removing the ASF you also lose the protection from ASL since that only works when you have ASF as per the rules of Speed of asyrian.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#45 Post by Prince of Spires »

joey_boy wrote:I think you guy have it wrong. I would look at it like this. You get ASF regardless of the weapon being used. It dose not say that you ignore the effects of the weapon only that you gain ASF regardless of other rules of the GW. Now since the wording on speed of asyrian is such that it only grants immunity to GW/ASL when you have ASF then by removing the ASF you also lose the protection from ASL since that only works when you have ASF as per the rules of Speed of asyrian.
But there is no removing ASF. It doesn't say anywhere that you lose the special rule ASF. You simply gain the rule ASL. And ASF + ASL = go by initiative. It doesn't matter how many times you have ASF or ASL applied to you, you only get the effect of each one once.

Also, gaining ASL from the Ogre monster doesn't remove the stipulation that HE ignore ASL from GW from speed of Asuryan. HE still ignore this, even if they have ASL

The mutiple castings of Birona's is interesting. What comes into play here is the difference between having a special rule and gaining a stat increase. Basically, having ASF twice doesn't matter (as you either have a special rule or you don't), but getting +1 attack is something you can get multiple times. So basically 2 birona's gives you the ASF special rule once, +2 attacks and 4*your movement.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
cptcosmic

#46 Post by cptcosmic »

Tethlis wrote: -Speed of Asuryan says we ignore the Always Strikes last penalty conferred by great weapons.
this is an interpretation of yours which actually does not match how the rule is written.

point is: special rules do not stack, does not matter how many different sources. the model already has ASL because it is applied on it by the great weapon thus cannot gain another application of it, you either have the special rule or you dont. Speed of Asuryan does not remove the ASL rule, only skips it.
Eirik

#47 Post by Eirik »

Do you still prevent ogre impact hits by moving within 'less than their movement' of them?
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Csjarrat

#48 Post by Csjarrat »

no, they just have brb impact hits now. if they roll over 10" for charge range then they get d3 impact hits iirc, so look out for maneaters with swifstride!!
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#49 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

It will be some time before any favorite army lists are going to prevail (if at all). But at the moment it seems to me there are quite a few nice options in the book itself. Have you noticed any trends in army lists yet? I wonder what in general Ogre players might be up to as I am going to play against one soon :) Has anybody played them already?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Tarrowhin

#50 Post by Tarrowhin »

Help please! Looks like I'm playing a 2000 point Ogre army in a couple of weeks. I've not seen their new book so any suggestions as to how to beat them would be welcome.
Tarrowhin

Luck is a meeting of preparedness and opportunity
Eirik

#51 Post by Eirik »

Regarding the Ogre item that gives enemy units ASL and the confusion with the HE army book:

I think the problem here is that the army book and FAQ are worded poorly. As stated above, the army book says we get ASF, regardless of our weapon. This is true of any unit regardless of army. A unit with ASF that picks up a great weapon still has ASF, but it also has ASL. The FAQ states that 'the army book takes precedence in this situation', which makes no sense. The army book only needs to take precedence over a BRB rule when the two rules are in conflict. The ASF and ASL rules in the BRB do not conflict with the HE army book.

The RAW interpretation would be that HE with great weapons strike at normal init, since they have ASL, and they have ASF regardless of weapon. This would give them ASL and ASF so they would strike at normal initiative. However, the FAQ says that they strike first anyways, so that becomes the new RAW, even if the reasoning behind the ruling is flawed, the intent is clear. A more omniscient GW rules writer might have said 'HE ignore any ASL condition imposed by weapons'.

But alas, this isn't the case. The case is that HE have ASF, and we get to strike first even with great weapons, but no official ruling says that we do not gain ASL from the great weapon. The confusing way that the book and FAQ are written are probably what led the ogre player into thinking that the ASL caused by the weapon comes back when we lose ASF. In reality, the ASL was never gone to begin with, we were just given permission to ignore it.

Luckily the situation with the ogre is far more straightforward than this. The general FAQ specifically states that no model gains extra benefit from having the same special rule multiple times. This means that if you have ASL twice and ASF once, it is as if you have each once. They cancel out, and you strike at normal initiative. This means that regardless of whether losing ASF also causes us to be again affected by the great weapon's ASL, we still end up with at least one ASL and at least one ASF. This is equivalent to exactly one ASL and exactly one ASF. According to the BRB, you attack at your own initiative in this situation.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Tarrowhin

#52 Post by Tarrowhin »

C’mon guys – any ideas how to beat these big blubber houses?

In the absence of many suggestions I’ll share my immature thoughts. I've seen the recent WD but haven’t seen the new OK book yet and will only be able to get one Wednesday so please put me right on any false assumptions.

2 parts to this post: general thoughts then a quick and dirty stab at a fledgling army list.

Part 1 – Random thoughts

OK Strengths and weaknesses

Strengths

1. OK impact hits. These are lethal. So what? Avoid by re-directing, fleeing etc. Deduction: consider taking eagles, Reavers and/or Shadow Warriors.
2. Stonehorn & Thundertusk. These will destroy pretty much anything HEs can put against them. So what? Avoid, re-direct or destroy at range by shooting and/or magic. They need to be a priority target as they will slaughter HEs in close combat. Deduction: take RBTs and magic that will either kill or neutralise them (e.g. Spirit Leech). Note Stonehorn Stone Skellie rule halves multiple wounds.
3. Multiple high strength MI attacks. Even after impact hits, OK hit hard. So what? HE low T and AS will result in many HE casualties. Deduction: consider Phoenix Guard as most resilient HE troops. Consider magic that will nerf OK high S and T (e.g. Shadows, which offers multiple useful hex spells).
4. Leadbelchers & Ironblaster. These scare the pants off me! With D6 S4 AP hits, even a unit of 3 Leadbelchers can destroy 5 DPs or any other small unit in one go. So what? Dunno to be honest – ideas please!

Weaknesses

1. OK army will have a small number of models and units. So what? There seem to be a number of ways of taking advantage of this:
a. Deployment. I should be able to disguise my main deployment. Deduction. Consider taking additional cheap drops to exacerbate my advantage.
b. Sniping. Destroying single models will have a proportionally greater effect than in high model armies. Deduction: consider sniping attacks (e.g. Spirit Leech).
c. Hex spells will affect a proportionally greater number of the OK army. Nerfing one or two unit of ogres will mean affecting most of their army. Deduction: again, Shadows seems to offer good hex spells. Ideally try to attack the OK army sequentially, concentrating magic and combat power against one or two units at a time.
2. OK low Initiative. So what? Spells that test vs I are particularly effective. Deduction: hey, ho – shadows again! Magic may be the way forward.
3. OK T4 & low AS. Is this correct? I don’t know what their AS are. So what? If they have poor AS then normal shooting should have an effect. Deduction: kill at range and select shooty core troops. Also Reavers as can draw off chargers and shoot.
4. No OK scouts or flyers. Is this correct? So what? If correct then my war machines should be a little safer than usual. Deduction: consider RBTs.

General approach (from the above):

Unit selection.

1. Take my favourite Mage Knight build! Prince with GW, AoC and RGOH. Level 1 Death mage. He never fails me, and Spirit Leech seems a shoe-in. He stands a good chance of destroying any OK model (even the gribblies) at 24” with the buffed spell (10 casting).
2. Back him up with a Lore of Shadows mage. Not sure if L2 – maybe even L4. All of the Shadows spells would work well vs OK, maybe with the exception of Steed.
3. Core units will be archers and LSG. Minimum points.
4. Magic and shooting will only soften him up – there will be some combat eventually. Therefore Specials will include Phoenix Guard, SMs (to take advantage of Mindrazor if it comes up – even an ogre will poo himself at that!) and maybe DPs (although I can see them disappearing in a puff of Leadbelcher powder).
5. Rare will be RBTs (1 or 2?) and eagles (2).

Tactics

Let him come to me and use max shooting and destructive magic for as long as poss. Keep my combat units in cover if poss waiting for opportunity to charge home and prevent OK charges.

Max use of re-directors (eagles, Reavers and Shadow Warriors). Fleeing as required and shooting all the time.

I don’t see a refused flank being of much use as I just want to delay combat for as long as poss. When I charge I need to pre-empt his charging and then hit hard, so prob with SMs/Phoenix Guard and DPs working together.

I should do well at deployment, especially if I’ve some cheap drops; eagles and Reavers can re-deploy quickly so that’s 3 drops before I even have to start thinking. Archers are another easy drop and, by then, I would hope to see how his deployment is shaping up.

Part 2 - Quick n dirty list:

Prince Mage Knight with Death (Spirit Leech).
Lvl 2 Shadows.

~ 20 archers
~ 20 LSG

~ 10 SMs
~ 10 Phoenix Guard
5 DP
5 DP
5 Reavers with bows
5 Shadow Warriors

2 x eagles
1 x RBT

Go on – rip this apart, please! Constructive advice welcomed, but remember I’m going into this blind until I see the OK army book.
Last edited by Tarrowhin on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tarrowhin

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#53 Post by SpellArcher »

Firstly, the new Mournfang Cavalry can take a 2+ Armour Save. Secondly, Maneaters now have an option to Scout (and Swiftstride, so watch out for improved chance of that magic 10+ roll which increases their impact hits).
Bolt Thrower

#54 Post by Bolt Thrower »

SpellArcher wrote:Firstly, the new Mournfang Cavalry can take a 2+ Armour Save. Secondly, Maneaters now have an option to Scout (and Swiftstride, so watch out for improved chance of that magic 10+ roll which increases their impact hits).
I also read a bit about OK being able to take a parry save even while mounted. It's one of their special rules though the name escapes me now.

Their magic is pretty nice in the new book, too. Signature gives a unit stubborn. A magic missile 2d6 S2 no armour save. A S augment. A T augment. A hex that causes a panic test. A spell that gives regen. And a template spell that causes a I test--pass and take a S3 hit, fail and take a S7 hit causing d6 multiple wounds (can be boosted to large template).

I think capitalizing on superior movement would be key. With the high S/T available, bringing very concentrated force to bear seems vital.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#55 Post by Prince of Spires »

Of course, in the case of OK vs HE it is actually the OK that have superior movement. M6 across the board for them.

Personally, I don't think the template spell in the Ogre lore will see that much use, especially against high I opponents like HE. The spell has a chance of misfiring and ending up placed on top of the caster. With their low initiative, the risk of demolishing your own units sounds too big for most instances.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#56 Post by SpellArcher »

rdghuizing wrote:Of course, in the case of OK vs HE it is actually the OK that have superior movement.
Depends how much cavalry you've got...

:)
Tarrowhin

#57 Post by Tarrowhin »

Amount of cavalry, yes, plus how much you can slow him down, distract and divert him. It's a combination of the 2. Way I see it, if I can't control the battlefield I'll probably lose so 'fighting' Ok is as much (more?) about manoeuvring than combat - although the latter will be decisive in the end.

But, hey, I guess that applies to all battles :wink:
Tarrowhin

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#58 Post by Prince of Spires »

While it's true that it depends on the amount of cavalry/eagles you take, I wouldn't count too much on being able to outmaneuver an OK player.
Besides the higher base movement, they also have cavalry (although it is a fair bit more expensive than DPs), a cheap trow-away redirector / suicide charger in the form of Sabretusks, (scouting)-gnoblars, scouting / vanguarding / swiftstriding Maneaters and a great are controler in the form of leadbelchers.

So unless you go for an almost all cav-list or a flying circus, the current OK are more than capable of outmaneuvring HE.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#59 Post by SpellArcher »

While they've clearly improved in this area, I still fancy us as it's a definate strength of ours.

We have all of the movement advantages they do, plus more flexible shooting to take out redirectors and access to movement-affecting Lores they don't.

Of course it's a playable option to build a High Elf army out of infantry blocks and Lore of Life but most include plenty of the elements that give us an edge here.
Csjarrat

#60 Post by Csjarrat »

i think given that they are faster, bigger, harder and tougher than us, our best option is to roll purple suns at them until they go away.
they have very small numbers, so every loss really hurts them. plenty of archers to deal with tusks and maneaters (spears wont stay steadfast against an ogre charge!)
re-direct wherever possible, and charge them if it goes tits up. at least they wont get impact hits that way!
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'