Eltharion on foot

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

micheleantonio

Eltharion on foot

#1 Post by micheleantonio »

Has anyone ever tried this combo w/ a mage and bsb as back up HQ? Any success?
Csjarrat

Re: Eltharion on foot

#2 Post by Csjarrat »

no, for me, on foot his armour is too low and he only has a 5+ ward. he makes a good mage/fighter but will die fairly easily in CC. his real benefit for me is when he is on his pet griffon, as the ward save carries onto stormwing too. this easily makes him the best griffon rider you can field as HE, as it means you can have a big beasty that has protection, a decent fighter on top and is a lvl2 caster to boot meaning you're not trading off as much of your phase as with a dragon.
he also gets +1 AS for being mounted giving him a 3+/5++ iirc
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Eldria

#3 Post by Eldria »

I've played Elt extensively (loving his fluff and as an excuse to use the IOB griffon/my swordmaster Elt model)

On foot he is an expenisve level 2 who can vaguly fight and I never found him worth it.

On stormwing however he helped me win a lot of games in uncomped environments, it wasn't an easy list to play and I had to get it right but he can be pretty darn awesome
Telabir

#4 Post by Telabir »

For me it's Archmage>Eltharion on griffon> prince on griffon> Eltharion on foot.

He's fun to play, although fairly unprotected. However, if you do choose to use him the mage and BSB setup is essential.
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
KJSparkz

#5 Post by KJSparkz »

Having played Eltharion on foot recently in several games I have to say that far from being an expensive mage Knight he can actually be a very worthwhile addition to a list. With WS8 and I9 you can safely go about using him for issuing challenges to any opposing character especially heavily armed ones forcing them to rely on ward saves. Coupled with a Lore of Beasts AM using Savage Beast of Horros for +3S and +3A and Wyssans on his unit he should destroy any opponent in a challenge especially as there are no Armour saves against him.
Giving him Beasts and working with a Metal AM also can be very effective getting the 5+scaly skin spell onto his unit. In the last 2 games I played he slaughtered 2 Vampire Lords(generals) in Challenges winning games for me. As I see it for 285 points and the complimentary use of magic lores he can certainly save me a minimum of 150 points to add to my elite infantry units.
[i]The Dark is generous, and it is patient and it always wins; but in the heart of its strength lies weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.................[/i]
Sulla1111

#6 Post by Sulla1111 »

Use him on foot in SoMagic games. He will be useful with the fulcrum save.