Newly Arrived to the Ports of Ulthuan

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

_Revan_

Newly Arrived to the Ports of Ulthuan

#1 Post by _Revan_ »

I have recently fallen into a large amount of High Elves (approximately 6000 pts) and I'm not quite sure what to do with all of it. I have only some of it catalogued, but I'm generally looking for overall advice and tactics for an all-comers force. I'm rather impressed with Swordmasters, and I like Phoenix Guard quite a bit as well. I see the usefulness of White Lions, but I just don't seem to like them quite as much. I lke the versatility in choosing magic, and am looking forward to using several (Arch)Mages.

I have probably close to 100-120 Sea Guard/Archers/Spearmen
There are 30-40 White Lions
About 30 Swordmasters
20-25 Phoenix Guard
15 Elyrrion Reavers
Roughly 30 Silver Helms
2 Griffon mounted Princes
A Battle Standard Bearer
3-4 Mages
A Prince on foot
3 Bolt Throwers
Prince Tyrion
And a handful of Shadow Warriors

As said, this is probably a bit off, but that's my rough guess as to what I came out with, but can't really complain at $230.

So I suppose what I'm asking is, what are some effective ways to play what I have or potential lists, but more so some general tactics, as I'm very unfamiliar with the army as a whole. Ideally I'm looking at playing 2500+ .
FriendlyFanatic

Re: Newly Arrived to the Ports of Ulthuan

#2 Post by FriendlyFanatic »

That's quite a collection you got there :mrgreen:

First off, all the Elite infantry choices have their use against almost all armys.

Swordmasters: A lot of peoples favourite inf unit, and for good reason. When these guys bump into any light to medium armored troops they simply devastate them, you don't even need lucky dice rolls. Problem is getting them there. I love swordmaster against armys like WoC, where their str 5 will help reduce armor save effectiveness and their multiple attacks will help against the big units of cheap marauders. I also use them against a lot of other armys but I tend to leave them out when facing someone like DE or Empire. Unless fielded in very small units, and screened all the way to the front lines they very often won't make it there because your opponent is so afraid of them (this can ofc be capitalized on :twisted: )

Whitelions: When it comes to taking down highly armored knights or high toughness monsters, these guys are some of the best the game has to offer. couple that with a 3+ armor save vs missile fire and these guys are a nobrainer in almost any army. I usually give mine the Banner of Eternal Flame just to further stick it to the Hydra tooting DE. Oh yeah, almost forgot that they are stubborn (they almost never have to take a break test anyway :))

Phoenix Guard: Not much to say here. These guys rock, one of the best weapons I have against the druchii. 5+ As 4+ Ward and ItP means that these guys stick around and don't give away victory points. I don't always include them. If I do I use them to hold the Archmage when he is'nt in an archer regiment. Also these guys carry the banner o sorcery.

You should take a look at Seredain's Cavalry Prince list here: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=33584
Very cool list and I see you got the helms to build it too :) Not only is it effective but I used a slightly altered version and I think it was one of the most entertaining games I have had so far with HE.

Hope some of this helps, and also welcome to Ulthuan. Hope you stick around 8)

Edit: Because of my crappy spelling
Last edited by FriendlyFanatic on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#3 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

$230? Ye gads that's a bargain! with this many units and only needing 2500 points you could make a dozen different lists, all depending on how you want to play, best bet is to read through the army book getting a feel for the units, have a read through some of the treads in the tactic thread here as well as the battle reports, they are great ways to get examples of how units can be used the right and wrong way.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

You've pretty much summed up our default tournament build Revan. Lots of magic and elite infantry. I second the view that Seredain's thread is well worth a look though.