Best lore for RGOH Prince

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Duront

Best lore for RGOH Prince

#1 Post by Duront »

If one was to take a Prince on a dragon with RGOH and a silver wand which lore would you take? I hear good things about Death and using his LD 10 to snipe people, but has anyone else had experience with any other lores?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Best lore for RGOH Prince

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Life can be good if he's on a Mount, for the protection and healing.

High gives you a second spell, I think there's a good case for carrying a scroll here, especially if you don't have an Archmage.

Then again, if he's on a Dragon he's going to get shot at and is going to wade into combat. Maybe something like the Vambraces?
Maedil

#3 Post by Maedil »

Duront wrote:If one was to take a Prince on a dragon with RGOH and a silver wand which lore would you take? I hear good things about Death and using his LD 10 to snipe people, but has anyone else had experience with any other lores?
Can a Prince/Noble use an Arcane item?
Runner-up Hexcon 2011.
Host of The Golden Snotling 2011 & 2012, and The Silver Skink 2011 & 2012.

Shameless promoting of my blog (in English):
[url=http://tromsowargaming.wordpress.com]Northern Wargaming Society[/url]
Rakai

#4 Post by Rakai »

Yes, but only if he's equipped with the RGOH.

On Topic: I still think death may be the best choice. You could also run the RGOH+HoF+Seerstaff setup and choose your spell. A "savage beast of horrors" on your prince could mean some serious damage to whatever he charges.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Milliardo/Avatars%20and%20Sigs/MageKnightGuildLogoColouredh.jpg[/img]
Csjarrat

#5 Post by Csjarrat »

Id go with shadow for miasma, or death. Probably death.
Beasts sig spell requires too many dice (good 3d6) to get wyssans off reliably.
Fire is meh.
Heavens sig spell is nice as reducesmincoming pain and helps you break the enemy.
Light could be ok if you can choose your spell (phas protection)
Life is ok, but is essentially a ton of points for an extra 5+ save you might not get off and probably fail if it does go off.
Shadow is ace, miasma is mega useful, essentially four spells in one. Even a star dragon can strike first with this one, allowing you to torch and tear your enemies to bits.
Death is very useful though, the ability to snipe champs out of units and stop your prince getting tied up in challenges is v useful. Opportune targets like mages and bsbs are easy to kill with this spell too, helping shutdown enemy magic phases and break combats quicker
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Csjarrat wrote:Life is ok, but is essentially a ton of points for an extra 5+ save you might not get off and probably fail if it does go off.
But there's the healing too...

I think first port of call is a Ward save or at least Charmed Shield. Else war machines are very bad news.
Telabir

#7 Post by Telabir »

Another mage knight! Whoop!

I like High Magic as all spells are pretty useful and I love Shield of Saphery.

But then again I am bias against all other lores...
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Telabir wrote:I like High Magic
+1

It's great to use our own special Lore.

I don't think it's the answer to everything but it can work very well.
fjugin

#9 Post by fjugin »

I would defiantly go for Death with a Ld 10 prince. More or less auto-win against some armies (skaven who cannot use strength in numbers against death for example) and very useful against armies that rely on single models (vampire lords, hydras, dreadlords, greater deamons, heralds).
It useful in almost all match ups and can definitely change entire game (something other lores rarely do).
RogueSun

#10 Post by RogueSun »

One more vote for High Magic here.

Sure the spells aren't game breaking (not bad by any means though) but you get two nice benefits:

1. You get a third 'free' spell in the form of Drain Magic. Perhaps not the most viable tactic, but casting it from the prince could make the difference between your opponent getting Dwellers or something just as nasty off.

2. All of the spells are pretty cheap. Since the Prince will only count as a Lvl 1, trying to use spells from some lores may turn into more of a hassle than anything since your prince will be eating up all of your power dice just to get off low level spells.
Csjarrat

#11 Post by Csjarrat »

normally just skip straight on by the lore of heavens, but just realised that iceshard blizzard is a kick ass spell for a dragon rider!
it reduces to hit rolls (shooting and combat) by 1 which is nice at reducing incoming pain in combat (most enemies hit you on a 4, therefore reducing it to 5+) and by pesky xbows and hgunners and also will stop warmachines firing 50% of the time. this combined with charmed shield should really help you out against dwarven and empire artillery trains, meaning you should be able to get into combat relatively unmolested.
on top of all this, it reduces the enemies LD by 1, making them even more likely to fail their fear test every round of combat thus hitting you on 6's! (5+ because of being made ws1, then -1 to hit due to spell effect) it will also make those steadfast tests harder to make and synergises niceley with mages using lore of death.
will def try this out at the weekend!
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'