Question about Dragon Princes

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Cpt. Korhil

Question about Dragon Princes

#1 Post by Cpt. Korhil »

So i picked up a box of these the other day And i was wondering as I only have 5 should I assemble them with a full command? I will eventually buy another 5 not not for awhile Is the full command worth it or just the musician?
wizlore

Re: Question about Dragon Princes

#2 Post by wizlore »

Many (including myself) prefer to run only 5 in a unit. Only one rank so you wont waste an attack for the second rank.
Personally I like a champion (because I use life magic and can ressurrect), but some would disagree and take a musician or no command at all.

To effectively beat a salamander group of 3 for instance, you would probably need a bit more than 10 attacks from your 5 dp's. So it all depends on your army and your opponent.

If you run 10 together I would not hesitate to bring full command and a magic banner.
Siegfried VII

#3 Post by Siegfried VII »

For me 6 is the optimum number for a unit of Dragon Princes. Perhaps with musician. A standard should be added only if you have specific plans for this unit.
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
Flame of the Asuryan

#4 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

5 with Musician is the best gain/points set-up, or go with 12 with a character :D .
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Jhaantikaal

#5 Post by Jhaantikaal »

Agree that 5 with musician is probably the best use. However I have had success with 6 with STD, mus and the ellyrian banner. But your first 5 I would just make the musician from the command set.
Follow me on Twitter @DMashford
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Siegfried VII wrote: A standard should be added only if you have specific plans for this unit.
For example if you have no other unit to carry Banner of Sorcery or you plan to go monster-hunting with Eternal Flame.
Bolt Thrower

#7 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I agree that 5 with a musician in the first set would be your best bet. It is nice to have a banner model, but maybe save that for your second set. I have never actually bought the champ, so don't know how crucial that would be. Banner of Ellyrian is still a fun one to use on these guys.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Cpt. Korhil

#8 Post by Cpt. Korhil »

Ok thanks alot guys i was thinking about waiting till i get my 2nd box to make a command I can just make a musician for now! lol
Tethlis

#9 Post by Tethlis »

Remember, the key reason for taking Dragon Princes it to kill things, or to take advantage of their access to magic items/banners. If you don't plan to take any magic items or banner for them, there's not much reason to take a standard or champion. Take the musician, keep them cheap, then run them at the enemy.
Warden of Tor Galadh
Cpt. Korhil

#10 Post by Cpt. Korhil »

Well I play against Woodies the most so i think the Dps will work well as a basic battering ram
Jhaantikaal

#11 Post by Jhaantikaal »

However I will add...

A champion model doesn't necessarily have to be the champion model in game terms, just a splendid 'leader' model. As long as you specify what command the unit does have at deployment 99% of opponents would have no problem with that. So if you think the champ looks a lot better then go ahead and make him up. You cant get away with this for the standard bearer though :)
Follow me on Twitter @DMashford
Renan

#12 Post by Renan »

I finally got mine yesterday and have not opened them. I am considering full command as I do not see myself purchasing another 5 in the near future. Give them the ellryion banner to avoid all the terrain I've got to deal with now.