BSB - mounted or on foot?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gugga

BSB - mounted or on foot?

#1 Post by Gugga »

Hi all, I am very new to the game, waiting for Island of Blood to start painting my first models.
I am very confused about the BSB, considering two protective set-ups. Could you please advise me on which one is better?

1.) On foot (168 pts): Great weapon, Armour of Caledor, Dawnstone
2.) Mounted (182pts): Dragon armour, Barded elven steed, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Helm of Fortune

They cost practically the same, th guy on foot has 1S more, but the mounted guy has 2pts better armor. My main concern is that while being mounted, he loses the look out rule and is vulnerable to war machines.

Given your experience playing, which of these two set ups would you prefer?
I plan to build my army around the models from Island of Blood and the new batallion. Do not know if I want to purchase a unit of DPs yet.
Taliessin

Re: BSB - mounted or on foot?

#2 Post by Taliessin »

If you want him well protected, put him on foot, give him some decent protective magic gear and a greatweapon, Highelves can't field enough calvery to protect him, so its better to go infantry and nearly guarantee Look Out Sir, as well as plenty of ablative wounds surrounding him.

Just my oppinion however :)
May the Mods smite me if I step out of line. ;)
[size=1]...and we're watching, with fiery lightning and the wrath of god... and such[/size] <-- Apparently they can place hidden messages in my sig! O.O
Athanoes

#3 Post by Athanoes »

i'd say on foot with a block of infantry is much better than mounted.....
i usually put min in a block of sea guard forming my main line where his 12" bubble keeps my army in the fight

try both see which one works the best with your tactics......
basmans_grob

#4 Post by basmans_grob »

Can you have both the enchanted shield and helm of fortune - they are both magic armours
Athanoes

#5 Post by Athanoes »

basmans_grob wrote:Can you have both the enchanted shield and helm of fortune - they are both magic armours
unfortunatley not you can only have one item fromeach type, thats why a lot of people take Armour of caledor, which also happnes to free up the extra arm to carry a great wepon
Flame of the Asuryan

#6 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

Then, if you give him the Dawnstone like I do, He will still have a 2+ armoursave with re-rolls. That will protect him against mass str. 3-5 hits, that you see a lot these days.
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Gugga

#7 Post by Gugga »

Thank you, guys. I indeed overlooked the two magic armors thing.
I want to put BSB in the center, but the center is already occupied by the anvil 20 PG unit. Is it safe to put BSB in there?
Jedra

#8 Post by Jedra »

It is just about the safest place to put him ;) Those PG aren't going anywhere. And with fear you have a good chance of him only being hit on 5+.

For the record, I basically use a) as well. Also, you can never get a better than 1+ armour save, so even if b) was legal, the helm of fortune would be no better than a dawnstone in terms of what you get.
Todesguck

#9 Post by Todesguck »

The rulebook says magic armor and magic shild is legal!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

I think the cavalry option is worth looking at if you have a big unit of these, otherwise I'd go with the foot option.

You could run the mounted guy in and out of units in the last edition but I think that's too risky now.
tethlis the slayer

#11 Post by tethlis the slayer »

Todesguck wrote:The rulebook says magic armor and magic shild is legal!
Nope. you can combine magic armour or shield with mundane armour/shield, but a model cannot have more than one magic item of the same category.

My preferred setup for the mounted BSB is Dragon Armour, Helm of Fortune, and a GW. Gives him a 2+ rerollable save and 3 S6 attacks. Occasionally I'll add the Guardian Phoenix or Opal Amulet for a ward save. A particularly useful item for him is the Gem of Courage - seeing as a BSB is killed if he or his unit flees from combat, being able to take a difficult break test on 3D6 can help keep him alive (plus its only 10 pts).
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

tethlis the slayer wrote:A particularly useful item for him is the Gem of Courage - seeing as a BSB is killed if he or his unit flees from combat, being able to take a difficult break test on 3D6 can help keep him alive (plus its only 10 pts).
I love the Gem. If GW had ruled that great weapons don't allow ASF re-rolls I'd likely have gone with this + Sword of Might. Very handy for a surprise hold when your opponent relied on breaking the unit.
Janwin

#13 Post by Janwin »

My own kit for the BSB on foot is similar, but I use the Guardian Phoenix instead of the Dawnstone. I'd rather have some save at all against things that remove armor saves than an ability to re-roll a non-existant armor save (because it was removed).
captaingalenus

#14 Post by captaingalenus »

Armour of Destiny for a BSB is another good option. Heavy armour and a 4+ ward
Courage and Honour

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw58gfs.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/p25iqs.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img]

[color=red]Vaul's Vacant Visionary[/color]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

Or Dragon Armour plus the 4+ Ward Talisman.

Though I guess you might need that for your Lord.
Telabir

#16 Post by Telabir »

I usually go on foot with Armour of Caledor and Guardian Phoenix for a nice 2+/5+ save. I used to go mounted with Battle Banner but it's lost its effeciency due to steadfast. I also gave a mounted version Radient Gem of Hoeth just to surprise my enemies.
If I wasn't an arrogant high elf who only uses weapons forged by Vaul (or Paul) I'd give him DP kit and generic 4+ for maximum protection. I'm a strong believer of only infantry in an infantry unit otherwise I don't think it looks as good.
A great weapon is a must normally though I don't see why sword of might is taken over a halberd.
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
Angel

#17 Post by Angel »

Telabir wrote:A great weapon is a must normally though I don't see why sword of might is taken over a halberd.
Magical attacks.
Or because it looks cool.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
wynforth

#18 Post by wynforth »

Angel wrote:
Telabir wrote:A great weapon is a must normally though I don't see why sword of might is taken over a halberd.
Magical attacks.
also because it still allows a shield
Arious

#19 Post by Arious »

wynforth wrote:
Angel wrote:
Magical attacks.
also because it still allows a shield
I thought Halberds were two handed weapons?
8th Ed: 1 Massacres, 1 Solid Wins, 2 By the skin of my teeth wins, 0 Draw, 0 Defeat
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33182&p=689984#p689984url]Arious Painting Log[/url]
Xarhain

#20 Post by Xarhain »

They are, he means the sword of might allows a shield.
Ptolemy

#21 Post by Ptolemy »

Since I'm running a RGoH Prince, my AoC is used up with him making me get creative with my BSB.

For my foot BSB, I've started going with the Sword of Might, Temakador's Gauntlets, Dragon Armor and a shield. It gives him a 3+/5+ (on STR 4 or more) which is pretty respectable. He loses the point of STR to gain the +1 armor from the shield, but I tend to think the trade is worth it.

I stick him in with my White Lions. The White Lion champ has the Potion of Recklessness for the extra attack on the charge. The champ fields challenges against characters. If there are no characters, I let the BSB chew up the unit champ and be safe from RnF attacks coming back. White Lions with rerolling misses and STR 6 will butcher more than enough enemies to make up for it. By being with the Lions, he also doesn't really need the Gem of Courage. Stubborn unit on his LD 9 with rerolls isn't going anywhere.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]