Great Eagle Tips and Tricks

All discussions related to Warhammer Fantasy Battles from 1st to 8th edition go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Collinisimo

Great Eagle Tips and Tricks

#1 Post by Collinisimo »

Due to requests on my Gaming Blog forum, I have decided to throw together an Eagle Tactica. In my list (see sig), I take a grand total of 4 GEs, and after the success I have had with them in 8th Ed., I doubt I will take any less at this point. They have almost been the stars of my team, even though I don't think a single one has lived all the way through a game of mine. Therefor, I would love to share some wisdom with everyone here on Ulthuan regarding Great Eagles.

The following are five different tricks I have picked up in my 8th Ed. games. If anyone else has any eagle tricks, please post them, as I am sure that these are only a few of the many wonderful different things you can do with eagles.

The most recent additions are added in blue. I will be adding in tricks thought up by other people, and adding their name to the contribution list, which is listed below. So far we are up to 9 eagle tricks. Hopefully this will continue to grow with Ulthuan's wisdom!

Collinisimo
wamphyri101
geoguswrek
Ptolemy
Xarhain
tethlis the slayer
krysith
Mithstar
Th3_5had0w_K1ng
Furion

All Battle Chronicler images have been made by Th3_5had0w_K1ng. Thanks!

Trick #1, 'The Classic' War Machine Hunting

I thought that we may as well start off with a classic trick that I am sure everyone is familiar with. And that is warmachine hunting. Through my experience, most of all of my opponents warmachine crew have been s3 and ws2. That means that when you charge that warmachine with your eagle on turn two, which is almost inevitable, your opponents will be hitting you on 5s, and wounding you on 5s. Therefor, they only have 1/3 chance of doing a single wound to you. You, however, will be hitting on 3s, and wounding on 3s as well, so you should be getting .89 wounds on your opponent. That means you will be winning combat mostly every time. 1 from the charge, and 1 for wounds. From my experience, warmachines have low leadership, and will usually break even when beaten by 2 points.

A tip I would like to point out to everyone, is that your opponent will like sticking more than one warmachine together, usually on a hill. This means that if in your first turn, you move your eagle up on his flank and within charging distance of one warmachine, you can usually charge the closest one, beat it and run it down, while at the same time overrunning into his second warmachine, successfully taking out 100-200 points with your single 50 point eagle. Also, if you get this kind of charge off in your second turn, then you only are giving your opponents warmachines 1-2 turns to shoot, depending on who goes first.

Trick #2, 'Wizard Assassination'

Here is another classic that most of you must already know as well. Don't worry old experienced players, we'll get into some more complex tricks later, but this is for those of you who are relatively new and still need to learn the old tricks. Anyways, what you do here usually takes 2 or more eagles, but the pay off is well worth it. What you do is you charge in an eagle to the front of an opponents unit that is holding their oh-so-powerful-mage. Then, you direct all of the eagles attacks at your opponents mage. Because mages are generally fragile and do not have much protection, you should be getting .89 wounds. You're eagle will then surely be killed afterward. However, in your next turn you do the same thing, charge in with a second eagle. With two onslaughts of this, you should be averaging 3 wounds on their mage, and this is usually enough to kill it. And trust me, 100 points is well worth the points for your opponents mage, and stopping their magic relatively early in the game.

Trick #3, 'The Run-Down'

Now here is where things get interesting. This is the one trick that my opponents question/hate the most (other than Trick #5..). Let me set the scene for you:

As you can see in this scenario, your two blocks of PG have just charged your opponents two enemy units. Your GE flies up to the right. You also notice the size and threat of the two enemy units that you just charged. You look at the larger enemy unit to the left. You realize that you have a good chance of tying/holding against that large unit with your PG, but you do not think you can beat it alone. You also look at your opponents smaller unit on the right. You think you can definitely beat that unit alone with your PG unit, but it may take two rounds of combat. Because you were smart and looked ahead, you moved your eagle to the right of the combats, and the reason why will become clear soon.

So the battle goes on. You turn out to be right, neither units go anywhere on your combat phase. Then it goes over to your opponents combat phase. Because you have numbers on the smaller enemy unit now, you break it and it flees. However, you decide not to chase after it with your PG unit. You instead reform looking to get a flank charge against your opponents larger unit, and you let the smaller unit get away, because you know that you need the help in the other combat.

So it is the beginning of you're turn now, and the scene looks like this:

So what do you do? You declare two charges. The first is your PG unit into the flank of the large enemy unit. The second, however, is your GE into their fleeing small enemy unit. You know that if that enemy unit rallies, you will have then gotten no points for it because of the new rules, so you chase it down with your eagle. You charge with your eagle and get the average of 19" charge range. Because they were only approximately 7" away from your eagle, there is close to no way they can flee far enough (and they have to flee, as they were already doing so) from your eagle, so once again that little 50 point model has made up for its points three fold or more, and allowed you to turn the tables on the other larger enemy unit.

Trick #3.2, 'Chasing Away', special thanks to Ptolemy

Here is another similar thing you can do, that helps you clear those smaller units on the board and gain you a few extra points in the game. When you charge a unit, and you know that they are going to flee, then you can charge them once again with an eagle. That way, they are forced to flee once again, either to be caught by your eagle, or run off the board. If neither of those things happen, then it is well worth moving that unit another 2d6" away from the action. Remember, your eagle only has to be within 22" of that unit to be able to declare the charge.

Trick #4, 'The Speed Bump'

This is a simple trick, but I find that it works rather well in slowing your opponents down to give you more time to shoot/magic their big combat units to give you a combat edge when they get to you. Pretty much all you are doing is flying your eagle up to their big units, then angling the eagle so that if the eagle is charged next turn, the big combat unit will overrun in a direction they do not want to go, or they can not charge and reform to get out of the way of your eagle, which you will then just move back and do it again, or they can charge, kill your eagle, and then not overrun, and move a total of one inch in their turn, instead of their typical 8-10" advancement on your line.

Trick #4.2, 'The Double Block', special thanks to geoguswrek!

This is very similar to 'The Speed Bump', however you would use it when it is not guaranteed that you're eagle would hold, ie. your opponent causes Terror. In this trick, you put two eagles blocking your opponents unit, and when he declares a charge against the first, you flee, but then he can only redirect into your other eagle. You flee a second time with the other eagle, and because each unit can only redirect one time in each turn (see page 18), your opponent is then forced to go after the second eagle. If you set it up right, this can lead your opponent into a bad position, sometimes setting you up for a flank charge.

Trick #4.2.1, 'The Double Block'

In this variation of the double block, instead of fleeing with both eagles, sometimes it can be advantagious to hold with the first eagle. Then, when your opponent overruns, he will hit the second eagle, and be stuck there for he cannot fight in combat that turn. However, be watch out for your opponent using Trick #5 on your to try and get through the second eagle as well.

Trick #5, 'The Place Holder'

This may just be my favorite trick of all to use in a game, because it catches your opponent off guard, and can help you get out of very tricky situations. Some of you may already know this trick from reading my past BatReps, and if so, kudos to you for reading my BatReps! Anyways, here is a situation where this trick could be applied:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------[EEEEEEEEEEE]------------------------
----------------------[EEEEEEE]---[EEEEEEEEEEE]------------------------
---------------------[EEEEEEE]--------------------------[GGG]--------
--------------------[EEEEEEE]--------------------------[GGG]--------
-------------------[EEEEEEE]-----------------------------------------
------------------[EEEEEEE]-------[EEEEEEEEEEE]------------------------
---------------------------------[EEEEEEEEEEE]-----------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------[PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP]--------------------

As you can see, your opponent has put a weak unit right in front of your PG unit, in hopes that you will charge it, beat it, and run it down. If you did this, then you would run into his second smaller unit. However, in doing so, you will have fallen into his trap, as he will then be able to flank you with his larger, more formidable unit. So what do you do? You declare two charges. Your eagle is conveniently placed on your right flank, so you charge the small unit right in front of your PG with your PG, then you charge the small unit behind that with the eagle. In doing so, you then proceed to beat that unit and chase it down with your PG, running into the small unit behind it. However, because you flanked that unit with your Eagle, you can then fight another round of combat in the same combat! You then can beat and run down that second unit with your PG, and in doing so get out of harms way from the flank charge.

Trick #6, 'Placement Stalling', special thanks to wamphyri101!

I believe that the placement of units at the beginning of the game is the one largest thing that will make or break the result of any game. Great Eagles, believe it or not, can give you quite the edge with this, and here is how. The very first thing you place down at the beginning of the game is your eagles. The more eagles you have, the more units your opponent will have to place down for you to see before you start putting down actual units. This way, you can 'pick your fights', so to speak, and place your units the way you want them in relation to your opponents units. I typically try to put my GEs on the flanks to begin with, because with their 20" movement they can get were they are needed relatively easily.

Trick #7, 'Combat Res Generator', special thanks to Xarhain!
Xarhain wrote:One more basic tactic is the combat res generator. Often you'll have flown behind enemy lines to attack a war machine or attempt any number of the tricks listed above, but for some reason the eagle is no longer required. Maybe the cannon blew itself up or the unit you were stalling got purple sunned. Either way, you now have a free eagle you can charge into the back of a stalling combat. With the new lack of unit strength you get +1CR for charging and +2CR for the rear charge. You'll do a wound against standard infantry and maybe take one back. Instant +3CR, and a speedy unit involved in the combat to chase them down once they break!
Trick #7.2, 'Reform Prevention', special thanks to tethlis the slayer!

Not only does charging an eagle into an already existing combat grant you extra combat resolution, but it can also give you much more in certain situations! Now that in 8th Ed, you can take a combat reform even if you lost the combat. Luckily for us, there is a quick and easy way to get around this, and keep your flank bonus. So say you have a flank an a relatively large unit, and you don't think you are going to win by much this next turn, so you want to keep that flank. All you need to do, is charge an eagle into a different flank. That way, because the opponent is engaged in more than one frontage, they cannot take a combat reform!

Trick #8, 'Helping Avoid Standing and Shooting', special thanks to krysith!

So we all know that Great Eagles can take down a small unit of skirmishing archers/skinks in combat. Or even holding up a large unit of archers/crossbowmen for a turn or two so they can't shoot for a bit. The only problem is getting them in combat. There are a couple of ways to do this. First, there is the simple flank charge, or charging from within 10", but sometimes this just isn't good enough, because we don't have enough time to set that up, or you are attempting to charge a skirmishing unit. So how can we charge in without getting shot to pieces from Stand and Shoot?

As krysith pointed out, one way to do this is charge the unit with the eagle from behind one of you're own units. Because of the tall nature of the Great Eagle models, they can typically see over our own infantry units. Therefor, they can charge over units because they can see over them, due to true line of sight. The benefits that come from this, is it becomes much more difficult to shoot at something when it gets a cover bonus. So, if you charge at a unit from behind one of you're own units, they will get a -1 penalty for standing and shooting, -1 for long range (usually), and -2 from hard cover. That adds up to a whopping -4 to shoot at them. This is a 7+ for elven archers, and 8+ for everything bs3, making the likelihood of you're eagle dying much less.

Trick #9, 'Mobile Impassable Terrain', special thanks to Mithstar!
Mithstar wrote:Mobile “Impassable Terrain”: Because magic and war machine shooting has become so dangerous, more and more players are using scouts and skirmishers to try and neutralise the threat. Most scouts and skirmishers operate between the two armies. This creates quite a unique opportunity. If a group of scouts or skirmishers are in front of an important enemy close combat unit (basically any unit you can’t yet combat) or a unit containing the bsb, general, etc, charge it with a GE. Your GE should take no more than 1 wound (using cover) charging in. Combat should be close (±1 point difference, very important) and both units are stuck in combat. However, now you have a combat that can continue for ± 2 turns, slowing down the enemy unit behind it considerably. In the hands of a capable general this tactic (even though it's situational) can be used to outmanoeuvre the enemy to great effect.

This tactic has a very nice synergy with the Lore of Life.
I would however like to point out that this tactic has one flaw. If your opponent has anything that can charge into the combat between your GE and his unit, that can shorten the time where you can cause a road block, so make sure when setting this up your opponent has no way of charging your eagle so that he can just blow through it and continue on his merry way. Remember, the point of Eagles is to be as annoying as possible. :twisted:

Trick #10, 'Basic Redirection', special thanks to Th3_5had0w_K1ng!

The following is taken from the "Redirecting?" thread.
Th3_5had0w_K1ng wrote:I made a quick scenario in Battle Chronicler on a basic redirecting. I was an eagle hater until I learned how to use them. They really are invaluable and allow the Elves to control the flow of battle. Sorry this post seems long but it's worth reading if you want to learn how to use the eagles (plus it's mostly pictures!).

9 Irongut Ogre Deathstar VS 7 SM, 30 Spears, Eagle

Ogre Turn- move up cautiously to give the high elves a 10 inch charge on their turn.

High Elf Turn - Freedom to move units closer without the danger of being charged by the Ironguts. Move eagle at an angle to where the ogres can't overrun into either unit.

Ogre Turn - Lets say he decides to charge the eagle. Excellent.

High Elves - Lets say due to either inexperience or Frenzy he overruns the dead eagle an average 7 inches. This gives us 2 charges on the flank and allows us to benefit from ranks of spears and killing power of swordmaster MSU.

There are more aspects to redirecting but this is the basic premise. Hope this helps!
Trick #11, 'Safe Long Charges', special thanks to Furion
Furion wrote:Guess I can share with you one of the protips ;)

Safe long range charges

Description: your White Lions are 15-17" away from enemy units. While charging at them would be glorious, your enemy has longer range than you. If you happened to fail, you would get charged by both of his units and then lose. What to do then? You have to plan one turn ahead. Position your eagle close to your unit, as per picture. In the following turn, declare a charge with your White Lions on enemy unit, make your opponent react and after all charges have been declared, roll for it. Now there are two options:
a) you rolled high and you are in! With a successful charge you can enter 1" within your unit and you go through.
b) you rolled not enough and you fail charge. With fail charge your unit can't enter <1" from other unit / impassable terrain. Therefore, your unit moves only a little bit (marked with a green line) With careful placement, it is possible that your unit won't even move at all!

That's it. Tell me if you like this short tactica :)

cheers
Furion
Overview:

I guess what I'm really trying to tell everybody is this: think ahead! If you can think ahead a couple of turns, you can set up these neat tricks, and avoid tricks that your opponent tries to set up against you. A lot of this comes from me being an avid chess player, because in chess it is all about thinking ahead. I use the same skills in warhammer, and so far I am doing pretty well. :D

Commentary is welcome and appreciated.
Last edited by Collinisimo on Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 12 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33028]Great Eagle Tips and Tricks[/url]
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
Ptolemy

Re: Great Eagle Tips and Tricks

#2 Post by Ptolemy »

First, great tactica. Trick #5 is not only great, but isn't even known to exist by many veteran players.

Second, the eagle is the most versatile and cost effective unit in the HE army. It is probably the only single unit we field that automatically makes every phase of our game more effective through its ability to answer so many roles in so cheap a package.

Another trick you can consider (which is similar to your number 3), is that if you charge an enemy with a unit that is sure to flee (whatever that may be) and you happen to have a few eagles in range of that enemy after its flight, declare charges with your eagles again. The target must once again flee, and with only 2d6 vs 10'+best 2 of 3d6 you have a great chance of running the bastard down or forcing him right off a table edge.

Trick #4 is, to me, the most important trick a HE general has to learn with his eagles. You can slow down everything in the game with them, as long as you are willing to lose them. This is a great answer to things like unbreakable skaven units. Toss the little bugger in front at an extreme angle and force the entire huge horde line to wheel in a direction that is not to their liking.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Skeetskeet

#3 Post by Skeetskeet »

Gotta love the Eaglehammer. =D>
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he doesn't exist.
Rumor

#4 Post by Rumor »

Problem with trick 5 is that if you beat the 2nd unit in the same phase your not allowed to pursure/overrun a 2nd time in the same phase, so you cant get out of the charge arc of the bigger unit BUT if you beat the 2nd unit you can at least reform to face the bigger unit and then at least have taken out 2 and have a front charge coming from the 3rd instead of a flank.
geoguswrek

#5 Post by geoguswrek »

Oh and don't forget the double block: put two eagles infront of an enemy unit, one in each corner, then he charges the first, you flee and his redirect can only hit your second. Not as cheap or simple as standing the charge, but it is another option we have and is a good choice when fighting terror causers (since if you fail the terror test all your plans are scuppered)

There is also the option of using eagles to prevent stand and shoot reactions (charge with the eagle first, from within 10" and then with the actual combat unit who maybe outside of their movement value)

Nor should we forget that eagles can take on some small units (generally skirmishers) in combat.

Oh and an honourable mention for lance-screwing. Where you place an eagle adjacent to a unit of bretonian knights and thus severely limit their ability to move.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Angel

#6 Post by Angel »

Great tactica, #5 was a new one to me. I will have to try it in my next game, but I only own one eagle models so hopefully he will survive long enough to test it.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Fallen Angel

#7 Post by Fallen Angel »

=D> Awesome Tactica! =D>

That number five works very well, I actually managed to pull that one of by accident in my last game using a varghulf instead of an eagle but an eagle would be so much more cost efficient!

Great job on this once again! =D>
[color=#FFA500]8th edition Scoreboard; Win--Loss--Draw[/color]

[color=#FF0000]VC: 6--1--0[/color]
[color=#006400]OnG: 6--2--0[/color]
[color=#0000CD]HE: 5--0--0[/color]
Xarhain

#8 Post by Xarhain »

That was quick! Thanks a lot mate, I was one of those lobbying for this in your blog. The only one I think you missed you actually detailed in trick 5. What the enemy was trying to do to you, you can do with an eagle. But that's common sense.

Also, fror trick #4, if you happen to have 2 eagles, you can protect yourself from an entire turn. Say a combat is going on for longer than you thought, or you've been outmanoeverd and face an inevitable flank or rear charge. 2 eagles one in front of the other takes the enemy 2 combat phases to run through, meaning you another movement phase. Again though, perhaps common sense.

Very comprehensive and excellent tactica!
maliciousmuz

#9 Post by maliciousmuz »

Will started playing again soon and ebay'd some eagles due to this tactica!!! great stuff, ill be sure to use them more effectively now, which ill need in club- cheers! =D>
Baalan: "Isha's tits! Alith Anar considered an emo?!?"
wamphyri101

#10 Post by wamphyri101 »

Another tactics is Unit placement.

At the start of the game plan place your eagles down first. Most people carry 2/3 atm. This means you have 3 20inch moves placed down before you even have to put down standard units.

This usually means (cause most people take blocks at the moment) that you can face your hard hitting units against whoever you want. Yeah you lose the +1 but you can counter that with the Skiensliver. I would rather get to chose who Im facing off with so I can make better general decisions.
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Collinisimo

#11 Post by Collinisimo »

Due to the wonderful feedback and excellent tips that other people have thought of, I have decided to update the original tactica with everyone's tips. I will include the names of everyone who contributed.
wamphyri101 wrote:At the start of the game plan place your eagles down first. Most people carry 2/3 atm. This means you have 3 20inch moves placed down before you even have to put down standard units.
Ah, yes. How could I forget? This is a great trick that I use every game with my army, because I really only have 4 other units, and this way I can place them where I want them to be in relation to my opponents units. This has been added above.
geoguswrek wrote:There is also the option of using eagles to prevent stand and shoot reactions (charge with the eagle first, from within 10" and then with the actual combat unit who maybe outside of their movement value)
This is an interesting trick, I don't think I remember using this before, but I see it's merits! This has also been added above.
Ptolemy wrote:Another trick you can consider (which is similar to your number 3), is that if you charge an enemy with a unit that is sure to flee (whatever that may be) and you happen to have a few eagles in range of that enemy after its flight, declare charges with your eagles again. The target must once again flee, and with only 2d6 vs 10'+best 2 of 3d6 you have a great chance of running the bastard down or forcing him right off a table edge.
A nice way to make sure some things flee off the board, if they're close enough! I've added it to #3.

Once again, if anyone has any more tricks that they want to share, please do so! They are very welcome!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33028]Great Eagle Tips and Tricks[/url]
Jedra

#12 Post by Jedra »

I'm sorry but I can find no mention of eagles getting stomp attacks anywhere in the High Elf army book, BRB or FAQ. Where exactly does the idea that they have it come from?
Collinisimo

#13 Post by Collinisimo »

Great Eagles have the stomp attack, because they are classified as 'Monstrous Beasts' on page 484 of the BRB. In the Unit Type section of the Great Eagle, it says 'MB', standing for Monstrous Beast. Then, on page 85 of the BRB, it says that Monstrous Beasts have the 'Stomp' special rule. On page 85 in the Monstrous Beasts section it even has a picture of a Great Eagle.
Xarhain

#14 Post by Xarhain »

One more basic tactic is the combat res generator. Often you'll have flown behind enemy lines to attack a war machine or attempt any number of the tricks listed above, but for some reason the eagle is no longer require. Maybe the cannon blew itself up or the unit you were stalling got purple sunned. Either way, you now have a free eagle you can charge into the back of a stalling combat. With the new lack of unit strength you get +1CR for charging and +2CR for the rear charge. You'll do a wound against standard infantry and maybe take one back. Instant +3CR, and a speedy unit involved in the combat to chase them down once they break!
wynforth

#15 Post by wynforth »

geoguswrek wrote:There is also the option of using eagles to prevent stand and shoot reactions (charge with the eagle first, from within 10" and then with the actual combat unit who maybe outside of their movement value)
Collinisimo wrote:Trick #7, 'Stand and Shoot Prevention', special thanks to geoguswrek!

Charging in against gunlines to me is a scary business, because of one simple rule: Stand and Shoot. Especially when the unit you are charging with is not exactly the hardest to bring down. For example, you are charging a horde unit of 40 skeleton TK archers with your unit of 24 spears. You know that in combat, you should be able to beat them. However, because of Stand and Shoot, you will be statistically loosing a rank of your spears, lowering your odds. So what do you do? The turn before the charge, you move an eagle up on the flank of that gunline unit. Then, you first declare your charge with that eagle, so that it cannot be shot at because of the fact that it is in your opponents flank. Then, you charge in your spear unit, and because your opponents unit is already in combat, they cannot stand and shoot against you.[/color]
Don't think this works anymore.
A) What you presented is not what geoguswrek said, and also doesn't follow the rules. You would declare a charge with the eagle. the unit would react with a hold. you then declare the second charge, the unit can stand and shoot. you then move both the eagle and main unit together after all charges have been declared and reacted to. Unless you are meaning to charge your eagle in a turn earlier and hope it can win/hold combat.
B) The original tactic worked in 7th but doesn't in 8th. In 7th if any unit was charging from within shorter then half their charge distance the charged unit couldn't stand and shoot against any unit. In 8th the stand and shoot reaction only mentions the 'range to the enemy' not all enemies. so the unit could declare a hold against the eagle then a stand and shoot against the unit in the front.
Foxbat

#16 Post by Foxbat »

I think that we still should make mention of “march blocking lower Ld flanking troops”.

I have used this option in games against O&G and VC.
Collinisimo

#17 Post by Collinisimo »

wynforth wrote:Don't think this works anymore.
A) What you presented is not what geoguswrek said, and also doesn't follow the rules. You would declare a charge with the eagle. the unit would react with a hold. you then declare the second charge, the unit can stand and shoot. you then move both the eagle and main unit together after all charges have been declared and reacted to. Unless you are meaning to charge your eagle in a turn earlier and hope it can win/hold combat.
B) The original tactic worked in 7th but doesn't in 8th. In 7th if any unit was charging from within shorter then half their charge distance the charged unit couldn't stand and shoot against any unit. In 8th the stand and shoot reaction only mentions the 'range to the enemy' not all enemies. so the unit could declare a hold against the eagle then a stand and shoot against the unit in the front.

I just double checked the rules on charging, and I now see that you are right. The way that my gaming group has been playing (which is wrong, apparently), is that you charge and resolve one unit at a time. However, after reading the rules, I see that you only resolve the charge after all charges have been declared. The way my gaming group has been playing this tactic would work, but after rereading the rules I now see it does not.

However, through your reasoning I see that geoguswrek's idea also wont work, because if you charge with both, then he can simply hold against the eagle, and then stand and shoot against the actual unit. Therefor, that trick has been replaced. I will however include geoguswrek's double block trick.
Collinisimo

#18 Post by Collinisimo »

Xarhain wrote:One more basic tactic is the combat res generator. Often you'll have flown behind enemy lines to attack a war machine or attempt any number of the tricks listed above, but for some reason the eagle is no longer require. Maybe the cannon blew itself up or the unit you were stalling got purple sunned. Either way, you now have a free eagle you can charge into the back of a stalling combat. With the new lack of unit strength you get +1CR for charging and +2CR for the rear charge. You'll do a wound against standard infantry and maybe take one back. Instant +3CR, and a speedy unit involved in the combat to chase them down once they break!
Another great trick, I'll include it above. Well written, so simply quoted.
Jedra

#19 Post by Jedra »

thanks for reference!

You'd think they'd mention that in the stomp section....
geoguswrek

#20 Post by geoguswrek »

I apologise, i misread the rules.
Of xarhain's one, i think this is a really good trick, as an addition you may, in some cases, want to plan to make these charges (ie move the eagles out far to the flank with los to the middle, then anything moving towards your lines can get charged in the front and in the flank. useful for supporting a spear block when it charges something strong.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Delaqure

#21 Post by Delaqure »

Much of this tactica would work well the Pegasus Knights also. More pricey of course by still some valid uses.
Collinisimo

#22 Post by Collinisimo »

Yes, I believe that these tactics would work for most any fliers in other armies, however because I play High Elves, Eagles are what I use. :wink:
tiekwando2

#23 Post by tiekwando2 »

I want to mention that this is one of the best tactic threads I have read on here in a long time.

BTW I didn't know 3.2 and 4.2 which are pretty cool.
Collinisimo

#24 Post by Collinisimo »

tiekwando2 wrote:I want to mention that this is one of the best tactic threads I have read on here in a long time.
Thanks, that means a lot. Its good to hear people appreciate it. :D
Marinero

#25 Post by Marinero »

=D>

Very nice and comprehensive article. Thanks for putting it up!
Sulla1111

#26 Post by Sulla1111 »

For #5, you could have just as easily rear charged the first unit with your eagle while front charging them with the PG. Then, when you win, the PG hold and the eagle runs down the foe.

Don't be afraid to sacrifice an eagle either, to buy time for the rest of your army. For example, if a big horde is coming toward your army and you want a turn to blast them, put an eagle one inch away but at almost a 45 degree angle (make sure it will be front charged, not flank, though). If he charges, you will hold meaning he goes precisely 1" then turns to expose his flank. Now your opponent is faced with an unenviable decision. When he wins, he can pursue or overrun (unless somehow your bird survives and holds), but this will bring the flank of his unit closer to your units for the inevitable countercharge, or he may be able to reform (assuming he's not frenzied) for a net move of 1". So you have either ganined a probable flank charge or slowed your opponent to 1" of movement with his best unit... and if you have another eagle, you can do it again next turn.
Nanadien

#27 Post by Nanadien »

This is a great tactica. It makes me wanna up my GE count from three to four :)
Brian Mage

#28 Post by Brian Mage »

I think you have single handedly just increased the sale of great eagles 2000%!!!
Excellent work.
This thread does need to be stickied immediately.
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Loremaster

#29 Post by Loremaster »

I have all but gotten rid of RBTs in my lists in favor of Great Eagles. I have even been known to run up to 4 of them in a 2k list :D

This is a great thread on tactics-- +1 to sticky.
Xarhain

#30 Post by Xarhain »

Collinisimo wrote: Another great trick, I'll include it above. Well written, so simply quoted.
Great, cheers! Only thing is can you change the "require" in the second line to "required". Spelling mistake that has now seemingly become immortalised! :lol: