How is this game doing?

Discuss the game of Warhammer Online in this forum.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

~Milliardo~

How is this game doing?

#1 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

So the Warhammer Online has been out for awhile now, and I was just curious as to how its doing with the community. I don't own the game because of my ancient computer, but after watching it carefully I decided it wasn't something I wanted to play - the most I got out of it was the music and some interesting artwork. :3

Is the game dead yet or are people still happily playing it? Any new changes? Do the physics for the character models still clip and pop and skip or has that been fixed? Any new DLC?
Aethyr

Re: How is this game doing?

#2 Post by Aethyr »

It's now got the free endless trial, so u can play till level 10 in the first zone indeffinately, and it's much more stable now too. They also added bloom and post processing effects and there have been new content released. Fast travel options are also now included.

However despite this the community dwindles, though they have consolidated servers, and now seem to be on the right path to recovery.

A good expansion with some proven new fixes could breathe life into this game, though it is my oppinion that it's linear state which is a major setback, ie not being able to travel freely as say, wow.
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
Baalan

#3 Post by Baalan »

Have they done anything concerning the HE players total disgust about the lore being totally f-up beyond all recognition?

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#4 Post by Silver »

Warhammer Online is like a spinoff using the basic lore of Warhammer and doing what they wanted with it.

It goes the evil's way this time instead of always being the good guy's victories.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Baalan

#5 Post by Baalan »

Silver, I have no problem if the good guys get the occassional or indeed an everyday kick! Besides, being the underdog has its bonuses...
However, it is one thing to use the generally accepted background created by GW and produce a spin off - and a totally different thing to kill off well established characters of the Asur on a whim!

cheers
"Full of pride and sorrow for what i am gonna do with tears in my eyes and a dream in my heart...Nagarythe shall endure..."
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#6 Post by Silver »

And yet that's how it is.
I don't see why you're complaining, you can go ahead and kill dark elf characters, even Morathi herself.

There's nothing wrong with how they let all the popular high elf characters get killed like that.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Baalan

#7 Post by Baalan »

But that is the thing...DE players did not kill Imrik. They got rid of Imrik by having him (AND his dragon) fall victim to a druchii assassin.
Also, you are made to run around gathering flowers or to quote another player ''Awesome. Just completed a PQ in the Shadowlands which (Quite literally) involved saving Sparrows and BUNNIES hiding from Cold Ones.''
And while you do things like that - the White Tower of Hoeth is in druchii hands... #-o
Not to mention that apparently Asur elves only live in tents and ruined towers.

That is why i asked if the dev-team has taken any steps in making the game more appealing to Asur players.

cheers
~Milliardo~

#8 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Sparrows AND bunnies? :?
Aethyr

#9 Post by Aethyr »

Not to mention the Swordmasters being tanks...
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
Baalan

#10 Post by Baalan »

Yup Aethyr, there are so many issues with the way they did the Asur classes (Shadow Warriors unable to be stealthy?! seriously...).
However, that can be (eventually) rectified and donne properly with a few tweaks here and there...if they decide to jump off the dark elves chariot.

cheers
Archangel

#11 Post by Archangel »

well they have take out the fortreses mearged lots of the severs dessy got alot of love in the last pach they have new desinges for the armour sets in the works and new pach should be coming soon
Korriri Stormblade White Lion of Burlok
Those Who Do Not Rember The Past Are Condemed To Repeat It Mistakes

Kill For The Living! Kill For The Dead!
Aethyr

#12 Post by Aethyr »

Baalan wrote:Yup Aethyr, there are so many issues with the way they did the Asur classes (Shadow Warriors unable to be stealthy?! seriously...).
However, that can be (eventually) rectified and donne properly with a few tweaks here and there...if they decide to jump off the dark elves chariot.

cheers
Go go Archmage! Annihilate those guys...what? You Cant? Lore of Life you say....
Yeahhhhh, I still like it, but only as a game with Warhammer THEMES, i try to separate my train of thought from fluff/tt when i play it.
Archangel

#13 Post by Archangel »

What server do you play on I'm on norn
Korriri Stormblade White Lion of Burlok
Those Who Do Not Rember The Past Are Condemed To Repeat It Mistakes

Kill For The Living! Kill For The Dead!
Naestran

#14 Post by Naestran »

I left the game because it was so unbalanced, especially for SW, has this changed at all because they look like an interesting class they just don't perform against anything, my only joy was being assault specced and hunting down healers with Shadow sting and the other dot, the problem with this what that I had no stealth so getting to any squishies without getting totally destroyed by Sorcerers was impossible. Oh and a WE killed me in 3 secs fact.

It seemed that all of the highelf classes were underbalanced compared to the druichii counterparts, SW get pwned by sorcerers and witch elves, admittedly the Sword master is better than the Black guard, White lions are different to Witch elves and Archmages are just plain terrible, and are completely different to DoK's so I can't really compare. The game just seemed so unfair on my poor little SW.
Telabir

#15 Post by Telabir »

I play an archmage with the path of Asuryan and have a blast, everyone gets angry at me for not healing them though :mrgreen:
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
Tahl

#16 Post by Tahl »

Healer the most wanted and least thanked of all the classes.

If you win, it's cause the tank killed it.
If you lose it's cause you allowed the tank to be killed.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#17 Post by Silver »

Telabir wrote:I play an archmage with the path of Asuryan and have a blast, everyone gets angry at me for not healing them though :mrgreen:
Which makes you a winner.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Lord Anathir

#18 Post by Lord Anathir »

More like a greedy scrub. As a tank player the team has basically already lost when the mages choose not the heal. If the tank can't trust the healer to help him the tank can't do his job properly and the whole team collapses.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#19 Post by Silver »

The game is complete crap, better to have fun playing it than forcing yourself to do what you don't feel like doing.

Gogo pewpew archmage.

In any case, GWShop has failed so much in the computer game business - first by letting Warcraft come to existence and then by letting a team controlled by EA make their MMO.

And even without EA I'm fairly certain this game would've failed as miserably as it did.
Kalandros Shadowsun
jwg20

#20 Post by jwg20 »

Yeah, I tried it, and was optimistic at first, but it just isn't much fun. Their original idea of warhammer online seemed much better (with a huge map to explore, and the ability to tour the vast cities of the empire and walk their forests hunting beastmen), but it was also impractical and too difficult to do as an MMO. The ended up losing funding because development was taking too long, so they went the shorter route with small regions you could fight. The regions are okay, but they're too small for my liking, and its too difficult to work with certain characters if you aren't a high enough level.
Link to my YouTube Channel:
Botjer

#21 Post by Botjer »

PVP in WAR is bloody awesome!
the rest is... not so good.
Orcs are probably what they did best.
Caradryal

#22 Post by Caradryal »

Unfortunately it never has been and never will be as good as WoW :?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#23 Post by Silver »

Caradryal wrote:Unfortunately it never has been and never will be as good as WoW :?
Because WoW has a better system, better support, better content (wider, more casual, except for the hardcore parts which they nerf to casual level after a while).
The story of WoW has gone so far off course, its ridiculous - the only thing Warhammer had going for it in an MMO was its extremely rich background and Mythic completely failed to take advantage of it by throwing it into a very pathetic attempt at a functional system, WoW is smooth, WAR looks so stiff and clunky - its sad. And WAR's 'end game' trying to mimic WoW somewhat was their biggest error - you don't make that sort of content in a PvP MMO. Ugh.

Oh well.

First WAR and then that horrible horrible Ultramarine Movie. Games Workshop really likes to look bad. If only they had agreed to let Blizzard use the Warhammer IP for what instead became Warcraft...

Funny how things turn out, eh?
Kalandros Shadowsun
Caradryal

#24 Post by Caradryal »

Silver wrote:
Because WoW has a better system, better support, better content (wider, more casual, except for the hardcore parts which they nerf to casual level after a while).
The story of WoW has gone so far off course, its ridiculous - the only thing Warhammer had going for it in an MMO was its extremely rich background and Mythic completely failed to take advantage of it by throwing it into a very pathetic attempt at a functional system, WoW is smooth, WAR looks so stiff and clunky - its sad. And WAR's 'end game' trying to mimic WoW somewhat was their biggest error - you don't make that sort of content in a PvP MMO. Ugh.

Oh well.

First WAR and then that horrible horrible Ultramarine Movie. Games Workshop really likes to look bad. If only they had agreed to let Blizzard use the Warhammer IP for what instead became Warcraft...

Funny how things turn out, eh?
Like you say its a pvp mmo but even the pvp fails compared to wow's :(

I didn't evern know blizz asked for the GW licence ... seriously they turned blizzard down and gave it to Mythic/EA? (if i remember correctly) how retarded can you get.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
Silver
Shiny and Polished

#25 Post by Silver »

Caradryal wrote: Like you say its a pvp mmo but even the pvp fails compared to wow's :(

I didn't evern know blizz asked for the GW licence ... seriously they turned blizzard down and gave it to Mythic/EA? (if i remember correctly) how retarded can you get.
Back when Blizzard was a nothing in the sea of pc dos game developers. Has nothing to do with the online games.
Kalandros Shadowsun
Nicene

#26 Post by Nicene »

As an enormous fan of Mythic but someone fairly unfamiliar with Games Workshop (so coming perhaps from a different angle than a lot of you guys), I played Warhammer with a lot of enthusiasm when it first came out (maybe 3-5 months).

Classes I played (got all these to max level and did all of the world pvp/battlegrounds/sieges available at the time):

1. Bright Wizard: Single best class ever created for an MMO. Extremely fun, infinitely powerful, absolutely frail glass cannon.
2. Chosen: Meh.
3. Warrior Priest: A lot of fun, especially with the new Defensive Target system.

Things I liked:

1. Action points (great resource system, very simple)
2. Defensive targets (you can target one friend and one enemy at the same time; really opens up cool class designs like archmage, shaman, disciple, especially warrior priest). This basically means you have abilities that say something like, "attack the target, reducing its strength and toughness--your defensive target gains these stats instead."

Failures of the game (as I saw it):

1. only two factions. Mythic really should have done the three-faction system like in DAoC, which to this day had the best world PVP I've ever played. The rich lore of GW, steeped in chaotic invasions and surging warlines, just fell apart with the dumb static 1v1 faction system. Much better would have been to divide the races into three sides, but perhaps GW nixed this idea, or they ran out of money, or something.
2. buggy/laggy/unstable world pvp (at least when I played). Also, the penalty for dying was too little, which made even world pvp into something like a WoW battleground or Halo/Quake3, in which you just ressurect after a few seconds and try to get as many kills before time runs out without regard to personal survival.
3. homogenized class system. Basically every class in one faction had a pretty much identical class in the other:
witchelf/witch hunter
black guard/swordmaster
orc warrior/ironbreaker
sorceress/bright wizard
chosen/white lion
shaman/archmage
squig herder/shadow warrior
chaos discrider mage thing/engineer
disciple of khaine/ warrior priest
??/rune priest (can't remember the Destruction healer's name)

Couple this lack of imagination with the fact that certain classes were just OBVIOUSLY much stronger than their counterparts, and of course the game didn't feel right. Archmage was a terrible class next to the amazing shaman, a bright wizard was worth about 6 sorceresses, and so on. Also, some of the classes were too buggy/boring to play (white lions, swordmasters).

That being said, I did play it for a few months and had a lot of fun. My favorite was duoing with my warrior priest and a buddy's ironbreaker. The two of us would run around in world pvp and just fight whatever; the two classes really meshed and were a lot of fun. There just weren't enough people to fight (or else it was a huge zerg) because of the introduction of Battlegrounds. Really, it was a huge mistake to build Battlegrounds for the highest character level--they should have forced people to do world pvp, and then focused on that to make it fun. Allowing people to level up in low-level BGs was a great idea (who wants to kill 700 Great Eagles with yet another character), but should have been left at that.

Finally, the Destruction lore was MUCH better.

Orcs? awesome. Absolutely amazing implementation/voicing/art/tooltips/everything
High Elves? Have you seen the sunrise?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Diukon

#27 Post by Diukon »

Ive tried beta nad I didnt like it. :P
Follow my kin!
Marwynn

#28 Post by Marwynn »

At this point, I'd say stay away. I even left WoW for this game (before leaving WoW forever) and that was a mistake. I came back later, and it's still a mess.

It suffered thanks to that condescending british guy who made all those promo videos. Oh yeah, I love contributing the most in a Public Quest only to lose out on the rewards because of the random number generator. Please, let me farm this crap endlessly. I still remember that video he made where he said "Who doesn't love to gamble?" I don't and a significant chunk of your customer base doesn't either.

His immaturity tainted the product. The Order races had less overall effort placed into them than the Chaos races. And I say that as a Chaos player (primarily).

They did not translate the world properly, relying mostly on stereotypes from other fantasy worlds. For crying out loud, they break through with just two Arks and proceed to rape and raid clear through Ulthuan. Elves apparently live in tents and ruins. Walls, especially for say cities that are surrounded by nasty animals, are non-existent.

Also, that whole thing about the militia? You know a decade or three spent in service as an Archer then a Spearman? Yeah, that apparently means you get to recruit some random kids to be Archers with parents lamenting the fact. Nevermind that they have all undergone that training and should have already prepared their kids to do so. And in fact they themselves should be mobilized.

If you're a fan of the lore, you'll be annoyed. The Archmage's a healer though can deal some damage (how I played it), the Sword Master's a defensive tank, the Shadow Warrior might as well be firing a machine gun-bow that you need to absurdly arc up to shoot something right in front of you. The White Lion has a white lion pet that is easy enough to kill or ignore.

And now they're going to turn it into some sorta PvP arena thing. I dunno.

Stay away. Or sate your curiosity by trying the demo first.
Tethlis

#29 Post by Tethlis »

I've been subbed since Beta, still play regularly. My WH's nearly 100... You'll find me on Gorfang
Warden of Tor Galadh
Larose
Chronicler

#30 Post by Larose »

I loved it, and hated it at the same time. Tier two probably had the best pvp I'd ever played at this time destruction overran the server so it was a super up hill battle but unreal fun and very few bugs. As You went up in tiers though things got buggier they didn't take enough time to test things and think things through. The tier 4 fortresses were a complete mess with lag and just not well done at all. I built a guild with my best friend up to around 100 people (called the Silver Knights) they had a lot of potential with a lot of the areas, more customization with the guild cloaks and symbols couldve have been added, balancing were a bit of an issue. I played a Swordmaster spec 'd in wesponskill haha epic in hand to hand. Diciples of khaine were insane. The final city stage was an epic pvp war until you got into the city and wanted to face palm your self the whole time :roll:

All I did was pvp the whole time... It was still fun as hell I don't care what anyone says defending a keep with your guild and like 15- 20 others against a sea of about 50 -60 destruction players was epic and fun. Their impact system was so cool, shield wall anyone?haha could have been done better still! They just didn't take enough time to sort things out which is odd as the shadow WoW cast was huge an the expectations of the game were soooooo damn high. WoW didn't help for being completely smooth unlike its beginning .. No one seems to remember that though so a lot quit and the game lost its momentum.
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.