Enemy of the Month: May 2010: Warriors of Chaos

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

geoguswrek

Enemy of the Month: May 2010: Warriors of Chaos

#1 Post by geoguswrek »

Theres been a fair bit of chat about these guys around the forum of late, so i thought they would make an acceptable choice for the month.

So what do you do against the horde of 1+ save knights and the rather impressive magic?
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Dreadlord Blooay

Re: Enemy of the Month: May 2010: Warriors of Chaos

#2 Post by Dreadlord Blooay »

I am sure there are many more experienced players to ask, but what I got out of my battles is:

-March blocking. They got no warmachines, almost, but that doesn't mean eagles do not have a place. Eagles can march block and it can be important if you want to get the edge in the movement phase.

-If your not going star dragon, chose lore of metal. +1 armour save is just begging to get some fury of the forge on it, you should give it what it needs.

-You better have some good magic defense, cause infernal gateway is a nasty spell which can, potentially with enough time and luck, destroy entire armies by itself. Especially small and cute ones like high elves.
Nanadien

#3 Post by Nanadien »

I recently encountered a pretty nasty combo (w/o remembering all item names) of the Warshrine + a big unit of Chosen with MoT, Rage Banner and the item that lets you +/- 1 on the Gift Table. After a few turns this ofc led to them having 4 attacks with 4+/3+ saves with stubborn. Before they got the ward and stubborn they had MR(2) during several turns.

How do you counter them best? My guess would be avoiding them and lure them away with eagles? Is it any idea to try to bolt the shrine instead?
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

1) The only thing that can reliable kill Chaos Knights in combat are White Lions preferably with Lion Standard or Standard of Balance
2) Lore of Metal is essential against them
3) Gateway is scary. Pandanemium (however you spell it) is a nusiance. Infernal Puppet is just nasty.
4) Hellcannon is touch and go. I've seen it perform really well and cause alot of problems to people's battle lines or has done jack all game
5) Chaos Spawns are crap. Just shoot with archers with it.
6) They're characters are pretty well shielded (minimum 4+ up to 1+) so RoBI on them 3 dice will pretty much force them to burn through their scrolls early on.
7) Marchblock as much as possible and shoot everything. Wait for him to come to you.
8) My prefered shooting order Marauder Horsemen / Dogs > Chariots / Spawns > Infantry (depending on mark). Essentially their fastest units to slowest units.
9) Magic preferance RoBI on their characters depending on items if you know them. And SotF on Knights.
10) Support lore I would take can be either High, Beast or Metal again. Really depends on terrain, what kind of WoC army, what characters etc.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Alathenar

#5 Post by Alathenar »

As said, Metal is the way to go against them. My AM with BoH accounted for like half my opponents WoC army once purely because of SotF. Though there is always that 1/3 chance of not getting it with BoH.

Magic defence is really important, unless ur going magic urself, you will probly need 2 caddys or the crystal to stave off the worst of their magic. Scroll the gateway as much as possible, just...don't...let...it...go...off.

Prince with BotS on a Eagle/Griffon to flank shot and fillet through there knights. And you dont have to really worry about him being shot. unless a lucky hit from a hellcannon.

Eagles really shine against WoC.

Take advantage of their M4 troops.

All I can think of for now.
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
Dreadlord Blooay

#6 Post by Dreadlord Blooay »

Also, note this, their M 4. There is 24 between you. If you can marchblock him everyturn, it will take 6 turns to get over the 24 gap. Which equals game over. :D (This is explaining one reason, to take advantage of M 4, as the other users have said.)
Flame of the Asuryan

#7 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

Best unit against equally points chaos knight unit is 14 Swordmasters, FC, Banner of Balance, Talisman of Loec.
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Abhorash.

#8 Post by Abhorash. »

Heres some very basic guidelines to dealing with Warriors of Chaos:

Marauders (horsemen and warriors) = Archers, Repeating Throwers, any combat unit really.

Warriors = Swordmasters, White Lions, Phoenix Guard to annoy him and out CR him.

Chosen = White Lions, preferably get something in their flank.

Chaos Knights = LORE OF METAL, Teclis, Noble on eagle with Starlance and ToL, Star Dragon, Dragon princes can damage them.

Spawns = Archers, RBT, Shadow warriors.

D Ogre Shaggoth = Dragon Princes are pretty good, probly have to flank it with Swordmasters, Stardragon eats these. :D

Giant = all ranged bows, Reaver bow, sword masters in dire need, Curse of arrow attraction to shoot it to death in one round.

Trolls = White lions, White lion chariot, get a flank on them asap, lore of metal, or lore of fire.

Warshrines = ....Leave it until you've dealt with the unit it is buffing. than charge with something heavy.

Hellcannon = Noble on eagle with SL and ToL. hope shadow warriors get lucky, Alith Anar? Stardragon if you are desperate.

Exalted Champions = Noble with White Sword and ToL, Lore of Metal, Combat oriented prince.

Chaos lords = Avoid than smash from many direction, you may kill it, Lore of metal, stardragon prince.

Daemon Prince = LoL such a joke.

Archaon = Slap your opponent immediately. :) (Vauls unmaking, Stardragon, Killing blow hero, Lore of metal.)

Infernal Gateway = 2 Dispel Scrolls, hope for a miscast, kill his caster.
[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/13.jpg[/img][/url]
Eltherion

#9 Post by Eltherion »

Infernal Gateway is nasty but if we use lots of cheap units then its effect will be minimized. "So don't put all your eggs in 1 basket syndrome" this could also mean characters outside units or with cheap units. As said before save a scroll for it. Usually Infernal will be off on a double 6 anyway. If not in a Tourney Army but just a club game you can try Sigil of Asuryan 50% chance of destroying the spell.

If you have a big uber unit with Tyrion or Prince then Banner of World Dragon on BSB stops the gateway hurting big expensive unit.
Last edited by Eltherion on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
Baerion

#10 Post by Baerion »

Not a lot to add, people have covered a lot of the basic things.

A lot of times my opponents will give their fast cav immune to psych so that they never panic. If a big unit of warriors has the mark of khorne use eagles or fast cav to lead them away or open a flank for a charge. Watch out for sending BT's at nurgle knights as well as chance to hit is reduced. Again best thing is to hit them with metal magic, but if not then something in the flank can do. The knights do have magical weapons and are just as tough on the charge as they are in subsequent rounds due to the weapons.

Another thing to mention is their characters always have to issue a challenge so use this to your advantage if you can. Having a unit champion available to accept a challenge could save your rank and file a lot of hurt from a combat lord for a turn.

I haven't played against ogres or trolls, but dragon ogre units can be brought down by repeater fire. Sending 6 shots at them is better than one with a chance of D3. The -2 will remove most of their armor and you'll rarely not see any wounds go through where as a single shot could miss, or only roll 1 wound on the D3 anyway. Try and avoid a frontal assault from them as they hit very hard.
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693