High elf tactica. long range warfare

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Act of God

Re: High elf tactica, at its finest.

#31 Post by Act of God »

NoOoDLe wrote:Sorry, didn't realize that =P Not too familiar with OnG tbh. Just never saw them with any kind of gunline set up..
It's not a setup you'll see very often, most OnG players prefer the hitty approach, I've caused a lot of jaws to drop when they saw me pull out 50 Arrer Boyz (which only cost 300 pts btw). I however don't run that many war machines A) because I don't own that many, and B) because I like to run some hitty stuff to go with my shooting (5 SOBBBU with spears, and the Banner of Butchery = 25 S5 attacks, 14" charge, d6" more if I roll a 6 for animosity or on a WAAGGHH! for 199 pts FTW!) and if that wasn't bad enough, between our 2 lores, we have 2 movement spells both 2d6" so going magic heavy and shooty with OnG can be very viable so long as you play it right.
Sturen

#32 Post by Sturen »

THE GRAMMAR NAZI HAS ARRIVED!
fabiankj wrote:ok, my name is fabian, and I will give you a completely new way of looking at high elves.

I stumbled across this method, when everyone told me how lucky a HE player is with high movement.
But simply, I ask you, why would we want a high points unit, with low strength toughness and no special ws, to charge into, lets say orcs, VCs or even dark elves.
Well, there is no answer actually, it is not going to work.
So here's the thing, one thing elves rock in (stastically speaking) is BS. And, guess what! The only way to use it is to shoot.

Alright, so if you haven't already guessed this tactic is to stay still. Now you may think that normal, but it isn't, I read all the battle reports, and HE's don't move up until the enemy is almost there and that is what all of you do, but why? We attack first, and with more units in our army that can fire then even the Empire, we could just stand and shoot, attack first and win plus instead of moving you can shoot better too.

What I am proposing is an error in judgment on the enemies part. Take dwarves for example, get the RBT's and take out their cannon crew, then bring them on their knees by shooting whatever shooting units they have, and then BAM! the slowest army in the game has to come toward the fastest army. I have literally done this twice to dwarves against the same opponent, theres nothing he can do, he (by luck he estimated one cannon right, and killed one RBT, but he was sooooo lucky).
Another great example, Dark elves, can be easily beaten if they dont get into comabt, just don't go forward and wipe out the crossbows before they get in range ( longbows have range 30 and xbows only go 24) and the dark elves must come to you. They are fast though so you need a GE (great eagle for beginners who don't know) and use it to marchblock and bait the frenzied units. When they do arrive they will be weakened and out of line!
Now if you had moved up, you would have been at -1 to hit and they would have reached you earlier and why? I mean there is absolutely no reason to do that.
Or you could go with my way, no -1, you get another turn of shooting and you get stand and shoot (which most of the time you could do with the other way, that being fair.)

I'll be posting some more tactica. Please do comment
c hw mch bttr tht is nw!! lololol :P

Seriously though, don't be put off by the aggresive responses, they're just slightly blinded by the sheer unreadability of your post. Stick around (learn grammar and spelling) and make up another tactica, you won't get nearly as much abuse :).

On the tactica, you are forgetting one important thing. A dwarf or dark elf army worth it's socks will be easily able to outshoot all but the heaviest of high elven gunlines and a gunline from either of these armies , and many others, will do so greatly. Then from their perspective it's easy. Kill the archers and RBTs with their superior shooting and now your force has to march across and will arrive weak and easily slaughtered, since these armies can afford heavy fire support as well as a solid combat line, in many cases.

BTW, another terribad army for gunlines is lizzies, unless you mean magically :P.

Worth it's socks xD I laughed when I typed that :P
My Log - guaranteed to make your day 127% more awesome!

Also find me on Instagram: @battlestones
NoOoDLe

#33 Post by NoOoDLe »

Sturen wrote:another terribad army for gunlines is lizzies, unless you mean magically :P.

Don't underestimate the power of 500 Skinks with poisoned darts.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
Act of God

#34 Post by Act of God »

NoOoDLe wrote:
Sturen wrote:another terribad army for gunlines is lizzies, unless you mean magically :P.

Don't underestimate the power of 500 Skinks with poisoned darts.
Never underestimate the skinks, I played against a guy in 6th edition who had an entire army of what must have been about 200 skinks, a couple units of terradon riders, a couple stegadons and 4 lv 2s, not only did it hurt, it was one of the most annoying games I've ever played. 400 poisoned blow darts from an army that denies all combat is insanely annoying.
Angel

#35 Post by Angel »

Even when you're able to read it easily it is not a good way to play High Elves. Sure it might work in the odd game if you are very lucky but don't ever think that this is the solution to winning with High Elves, because it isn't.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
pk-ng

#36 Post by pk-ng »

orka wrote:Dear fabiankj,
I'm 14, but I don't write like Jackie Chan speaks English.

Now that's out of the way:
1) saying your tactica is world's finest isn't something you normally do (although others may have their opinion), even if it's true, wich clearly isn't;
2) it isn't only pk-ng who finds your spelling a nuisance, it's an agreement made on the forum. Maybe you should read some articles about behaviour on the web, as well as the site's guidelines;
3) as pretty much anyone tries to make clear, HE aren't suited to fight as a gunline. If it works for you, fine. You may try to persuade others to try it too, but you should not insult them and stick to your own opinion at all times. At this point, the topic doesn't belong in the tactic's section anymore.

A side note: when people tell you something, don't immediately laugh it away, they could be trying to help you.
Jackie Chan's cinglish is da best man!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Allerion
Librarian

#37 Post by Allerion »

Man, normally all the trolls end up in Off-Topic...
Its really bright and sunny outside OT.... It hurts me eyes

anyway

1) speak at least sort-of-proper english, please
2) DE can take a single unit of repeating crossbows that pumps out 30 bolts. DE can out-gun us with their normal armies. so when you have to concentrate on trying to take down their BG/harpies/hydra/other nasties as they charge toward your archers, their 2 core units rape your army. fun stuff.
3) never going to work against some armies, unless your opponent is REALLY stupid. when a WoC is full of knights w/ 1+ saves, and youve got a bunch of S3 attacks, good luck with that.
Excited for TOW
Asur Ryan

Re: High elf tactica. long range warfare

#38 Post by Asur Ryan »

I agree with Lord A this isn't as ridiculous as everyone is saying. Standing still is my default position with HE, one which I'm trying to change at the moment, though I'm doing this due to criticisms on here that it is boring, rather than due to any lack of effectiveness -it always works great! RBTs, magic and the magic bows are the keys to the tactic as these will cause problems for anything - archers and LSG also have their place but don't do a lot against high toughness/armour armies.

I've used it successfully against dwarfs and although the cannon did a fair amount of damage before I finally got rid of it the organ gun and thunderers became useless - never a bad thing! The dwarfs ended up having to come to me, which they didn't enjoy at all.

I have been outshot by an empire gunline, though ironically I ended up winning that battle as a small number of SMs (I never take a 'pure' gunline) made it through and made a mess of everything.

The fact that we can always strike first even when charged and that our spears are more effective when charged further increases the usefulness of standing still. It also allows you to screen SMs by putting them behind stationary archers - since your enemy will be forced to come to you they will still see combat. When using this tactic it is however important to have a unit of DP for those times when it does become important to get somewhere quickly, but generally I find that an army based on shooting is extremely effective for HE.
Princess Amalthea's Superstars
Wins 8 / Draws 3 / Losses 2
Alathenar

#39 Post by Alathenar »

fabiankj wrote:ill stop swearing as well
fabiankj wrote: crap
fabiankj wrote:fuckin
.... :|
If only I saw this tactica before I ventured into the world of WHFB. :roll:
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
fabiankj

#40 Post by fabiankj »

Asur Ryan wrote:I agree with Lord A this isn't as ridiculous as everyone is saying. Standing still is my default position with HE, one which I'm trying to change at the moment, though I'm doing this due to criticisms on here that it is boring, rather than due to any lack of effectiveness -it always works great! RBTs, magic and the magic bows are the keys to the tactic as these will cause problems for anything - archers and LSG also have their place but don't do a lot against high toughness/armour armies.

I've used it successfully against dwarfs and although the cannon did a fair amount of damage before I finally got rid of it the organ gun and thunderers became useless - never a bad thing! The dwarfs ended up having to come to me, which they didn't enjoy at all.

I have been outshot by an empire gunline, though ironically I ended up winning that battle as a small number of SMs (I never take a 'pure' gunline) made it through and made a mess of everything.

The fact that we can always strike first even when charged and that our spears are more effective when charged further increases the usefulness of standing still. It also allows you to screen SMs by putting them behind stationary archers - since your enemy will be forced to come to you they will still see combat. When using this tactic it is however important to have a unit of DP for those times when it does become important to get somewhere quickly, but generally I find that an army based on shooting is extremely effective for HE.

Amen, lol u acually agree with me.
Finally someone who see's sense. I agree that high elves shouldnt only be long range, only a foool would do that, i hav three chariots and 6 SM as well. However staying staionary is DA bomb. Anywayz thanx for all you comments and yes i agree high toughnes people are hard to kill. This is why magic is so important. If long range is your army i strongly sugggest teclis because he is the best offensive magic caster that i have ever fielded or fielded against (soz for the spelling) any way, usually high toughness units hav good LD so its a real bitch to make them break, however magic works its charm and usually it works. Also i fully agree the ASF rule proves that HE are effective in long rang. Of course some people may not find this ideal which is their opinion but it works.
fabiankj

#41 Post by fabiankj »

Asur Ryan wrote:I agree with Lord A this isn't as ridiculous as everyone is saying. Standing still is my default position with HE, one which I'm trying to change at the moment, though I'm doing this due to criticisms on here that it is boring, rather than due to any lack of effectiveness -it always works great! RBTs, magic and the magic bows are the keys to the tactic as these will cause problems for anything - archers and LSG also have their place but don't do a lot against high toughness/armour armies.

Amen, lol u acually agree with me.
Finally someone who see's sense. I agree that high elves shouldnt only be long range, only a foool would do that, i hav three chariots and 6 SM as well. However staying staionary is DA bomb. Anywayz thanx for all you comments and yes i agree high toughnes people are hard to kill. This is why magic is so important. If long range is your army i strongly sugggest teclis because he is the best offensive magic caster that i have ever fielded or fielded against (soz for the spelling) any way, usually high toughness units hav good LD so its a real bitch to make them break, however magic works its charm and usually it works. Also i fully agree the ASF rule proves that HE are effective in long rang. Of course some people may not find this ideal which is their opinion but it works.
Sturen

#42 Post by Sturen »

=D> That post was better spelling-wise.

Firstly, SMs are better in 7s :P.

Is the army you run a little like this?

Teclis
Noble of some kind

2x10 archers, maybe 3, depending on points

3 tiranoc/lion chariots
6 SMs
Some shadow warriors?
A bunker for Mr. T

2-3 RBT 1-2 eagles

I can see that that is a strong list, however, Teclis is a crutch imo. He is so powerful that him and a bunker could quite possibly win alone. Try playing with an ordinary archmage and level 2 build. You'll notice the difference and have to work for your wins a lot more.

Please stop swearing, it is against forum rules and doesn't make your posts better in any way :).

Wicksi

#43 Post by Wicksi »

Acually I have played a gunline against dwarfs with great success (was a draw!)
I had a Archmage with silver wand and fully loaded on power stones
a backup mage with seerstaff and power stone

they both took life and got the... have forgotten the name of the spell but "master of stone" or something like that and I had 10archers (dont got any more in my army so couldnt field more) 4RBT's Some Lsg's (got loads of spearmens) 8shadow warriors 1eagle. something like that.

Wasn't to bad.
Sturen

#44 Post by Sturen »

That sounds like a: I know I'm facing a gunline, take everything that's good against them! list :P.

But nice work outshooting them stumpies!

Greenman

#45 Post by Greenman »

i ain't got a fnrffn clu wtf he's jibba jaffn about...i'm a mod.
i just got me hair cut.looks really cool..bought a fred perry shirt,square-toed brogues n'evryfing...
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#46 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Greenman wrote:i ain't got a fnrffn clu wtf he's jibba jaffn about...i'm a mod.
i just got me hair cut.looks really cool..bought a fred perry shirt,square-toed brogues n'evryfing...
Wait, what? cos I know you ain't a bot...
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Greenman

#47 Post by Greenman »

someone asked earlier in amongst all the banter "where are the mods?"..i was just sayin we're all goin to brighton..gonna collect shells..thousands of 'em-a variation of a theme or film or summink.anyways,the kid's got enough front here,to expand upon his largeness.to give him his due he'd probably expand it in one's face should one ever have the good fortune to meet him across a gaming table..i find clearasil usually does the trick
Sturen

#48 Post by Sturen »

Wait, what? cos I know you ain't a bot...
you sure?

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#49 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Yeah. 49 posts is too many, combined with the fact I've seen him post normal stuff elsewhere.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
NoOoDLe

#50 Post by NoOoDLe »

Sturen wrote:Please stop swearing, it is against forum rules and doesn't make your posts better in any way :).
It is? o_o

Edit: Just checked. Thank fuck it's not. x'D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
mmirch54

#51 Post by mmirch54 »

LOL!

I'm with Minsc, this is most pointless thread so far this year...

However it does make some great reading if you need a lil entertaining.
Sturen

#52 Post by Sturen »

NoOoDLe wrote:
Sturen wrote:Please stop swearing, it is against forum rules and doesn't make your posts better in any way :).
It is? o_o

Edit: Just checked. Thank fuck it's not. x'D
Ahh... You're right.
I guess occasional swearing is okay. But randomly swearing several times in every post isn't.