what is essential in a competitive HE Army List?

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

bismarck

what is essential in a competitive HE Army List?

#1 Post by bismarck »

I'm looking to start competing in tournaments soon - and I wanted to ask some experienced opinions on what HE should use in a tournament, and how they should play to win.

Thanks,

Ben.
bismarck

When playing an enemy that has no honor, you'll sometimes have to get rid of your own too to ensure a victory.
Dreadlord Blooay

Re: what is essential in a competitive HE Army List?

#2 Post by Dreadlord Blooay »

Well, first of, you could try and introduce what kind of tactics, your good at. Cause while we could post quite a few tactics for varied views, your opponents will have their own tricks, and beside that, each army with their own good cause. But the popular are:

Dragon prince with star dragon. Followed up with nice 4+ ward and re roll 2+ armour, popular is also to give him and hes dragon magical attacks. (Doesn't post names because, yes, book is not with me.)

Followed up with one, perhaps two, scroll caddies. And a dragon prince bsb with the 1d6 combat res banner. But that is a lot of points on characters already.

Core is usually in such a power list, 2x10 archers. Special is something hard and fast, dragon princes and chariots, to follow with the dragon. Rare is usually just repeater bolt throwers. This can make a mean, good, and fast hitting force. All about hitting, and hitting hard and good on the right spot.

Other list I have also seen, but not as much used, is the castling high elves. Using ASF to the fullest, our magical potency and bolts, white lions and all of our core choices, is a good spot to start with. However, I have little to no experince with such tournament lists :(
bismarck

#3 Post by bismarck »

thanks for the reply. i shall have a look at the army book.
bismarck

When playing an enemy that has no honor, you'll sometimes have to get rid of your own too to ensure a victory.
Chracian

#4 Post by Chracian »

Depends on what points level you are playing at, restrictions and so on. However, I will stick my neck out and say the following are our "best" units/characters:
Teclis
Prince on star dragon, VoD, AoC
BSB with battle banner
Caradryan (a personal favourite, not everyone will agree)
Sea guard (not because they are really good, but because they are the least worst use of the core slots)
RBTs
Eagles
Dragon princes
Any elite infantry (swordmasters, phoenix guard, white lions, depending on opponent, white lions for all-rounders)

The following magic items:
Reaver bow
Bow of the seafarer
Star lance
Sword of might
Armour of caledor
Vambraces
2+ ward save vs spells
Seerstaff
Silver wand
Standard of balance
Lion standard

I'm sure other people will think of more things/disagree with what I've said. As has been said, if we know your play style, more direction can be given.

Hope this helps!
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

In an unrestricted tournament, as stated a list built around Teclis or a Star Dragon is probably strongest. The Star Dragon is typically backed up by either 2 Lvl2's and a decent spread of units or a Battle Banner BSB, a scroll caddy and mobile stuff typically DP's.

Under ETC comp, the Star Dragon and 2 Lvl2's seems strongest to me. The UK comps derived from it nerf the SD to an extent, so an Archmage build is a good choice here. This is also true of more subjective comps, where you will get penalised less if you omit the Dragon.

It should be said that if you play well enough you can do well with a balanced army led by a non-dragon Prince for example, at least under comp. It is generally held to be weaker than Dragon/Archmage though.
wamphyri101

#6 Post by wamphyri101 »

I find that magic is getting more dangerous nowdays. Too many armys have a spell that can desimate whole units in 1 shot and if you get a misscast (which happens when you run magic heavy or against the ring of hotek which in touraments you will face) then you will have a hell of a head ache. Ways around it are staff of sorcery (cancel first miscast) as well as teclic (ignore 1 miscast poer turn)

Personally I go with either a star dragon lord with Vambraces of defense, armour of calador and talisman of light + 2 lvl 2 mages. I with annulian crystal and other with 2 scrolls or scroll + ring of corin.

Another fun thing is Lord with nullstone in a unit of dragon princes flanked by 2 lion/tiranoc chariots. Works against any army bar daemons
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Eltherion

#7 Post by Eltherion »

Most Armies go minimum Core units which is either

2 x 10 archers or
10 archers and 19-20 Spears
other combination's are possible see lists on this forum.

Specials
Depends on the type of Army you want to run
If you like infantry armies then a unit of sword masters with Banner of Balance making them Immune to Psychology is good. Usually around 14 in the unit with full command.

Rare Troops
I would suggest at least 2 RBTs
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
Lord Anathir

#8 Post by Lord Anathir »

I dont agree with the dragon princes. I`ve come to prefer lion chariots over them for their fear and panic protection and lateral mobility.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

I think DP's are worth their points but they certainly have weaknesses. Heavy magic and shooting decimates them.

It is hard not to love chariot movement. So I'm currently converting a Lion Chariot!
Brian Mage

#10 Post by Brian Mage »

My two pennys worth...

Most been said.

Apart from against ring of hotek - Teclis is (in my eyes) our strongest lord. Esp if damage heavy lore chosen - plus his defensive magic properties (D3 DD + Miscast protection)
Lord on Star is good, i always go damage output rather than defensive.

Units wise - I always roll with this now if i want to win.
Double Archer
Dragon princes - 2 units of 6 (one is actually only 5 but has Battle Banner BSB in it)
Swordsmasters - 2 units of 7
Pheonix guard Bunker(if using BoH or Teclis)
Lions if using star (5-7)
Tiranoc x1
Lion Chariot x1
however many bolters you points left over allow
eagle
Banner of sorcery

=Winner

However - please be aware that these "two Lord choices do not a good general make". Teclis OWNS magic phases, lord on star, well, he likes to chew (as it turns out!)
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly