Enemy of the Month July 09: Dark Elves.

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Comrade Igor

Re: Enemy of the Month July 09: Dark Elves.

#31 Post by Comrade Igor »

Long and short of it really is; shoot them, and protect your own shooting. Out of everything thing in the HE arsenal, shooting is what causes us (DE) more trouble than anything else. Personally i use 3 RBT's, two units of archers and a pair of tiranoc chariots for guarding the warmachines.
scurrdi

#32 Post by scurrdi »

That arcane item, the 40 point one that ends the magic phase whenever we use it? That one can seriously put a hurting on Dark Elves because of that power dice spell that they cast. If you don't use those dice they take wounds. A nice way to wreck a DE's magic day when he loses half of his casters because of his own spells! :D
Elanil

#33 Post by Elanil »

It's 75 points and it's called the Vortex Shard. It also says you have to use it at the start of the magic phase, so that strategy is kind of out.
geoguswrek

#34 Post by geoguswrek »

To move things on... let us start talking about Executioners and Witches.

Exe's are quite expensive, but very nasty, with killing blow and s6 they are a threat to our knights and characters. If there is a hag in the unit, she will have the ASF banner. If there isn't a hag in the unit, then expect an assasin. Either way this unit almost always has some ASF, so charge in expecting this. to be honest i'd just charge them with some DP, since the assasin is going to be tooled up for killing masses, and so we aren't likely to lose many dp, who will then eat enough of the unit to cause trouble. in the second round, our s3 atacks will still hurt the exes, so we are fine if they don't break, and can charge in some support safe in the knowledge there are no more assasin.
Another note is chariots are quite nasty here, since they'll do a few wounds with impacts and then, unless the assasin kills them (not that likely) they may well kill the assasin as well.

Witches are a different prospect, i normally see them used as very small units, both for the Immunity from psych, which makes them fun for running into undead, and as screens/interceptors for the rest of the army. Remember these units are frenzied, and use that frenzy to cause annoyances to the rest of the line, by making them charge infront of things (using eagles, scouts or whatever).
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Elanil

#35 Post by Elanil »

Executioners:
I find that shooting executioners or magicking them to death is pretty effective. If you don't have a hydra to worry about (either you already killed it or it was never present), then executioners should be either priority 1 or 2, depending on whether there's a black guard presence that can be eliminated. I've faced elites protected by a character with the item that halves BS making them hard to shoot, but executioners are still soft.

Witch Elves:
If you're fighting witch elves and there's no cauldron, you should be able to sweep through them with spearmen. Our low toughness makes their poisoned attacks worth a lot less. If there's a cauldron, the witch elves will probably be guarding it. Just stay away from that area if possible, there's no need to get stuck in against stubborn khainite units next to their cauldron. That applies to executioners as well.
Rogmund

#36 Post by Rogmund »

Tough to deal with them, but a lot easier after reading all this stuff :) thx
Eltherion

#37 Post by Eltherion »

Alrighty thought I would throw this in the mix as I am about to enter a Tourney and one of the Dark Elf players used a Master Assassin last year at the same event. Last year the Master Assassin jumped out and killed Thorek (dwarf army anvil character). At the time I laughed (don't like the dwarf gun lines) as I was using Ogres that year, and hoped to face the master Assassin list as he could only use this ability on my Gnoblars. :)

However this year I'm running HE's and 3 of my characters are likely to be on foot. So prone to a Master Assassin attack.

Has anyone got suggestions as to how to avoid him killing my Achmage? If I lost my Achmage turn 1 it would destroy my whole battle plan and Magic Phase. I am happy with my army set up and don't want to radically change it in the off chance I play a DE army that may have this character.

I could mount all my characters which would prevent the Master assassin=Shadow Blade? hurting them, however I have pretty much finalized my list and would struggle to find the points.

While talking about how to defeat DE's I thought I would remind everyone of our Army wide rule of re-rolling Psychology tests vs DE's. This is very handy vs Cold One Knights, Hydras & Dragons and allows our unprotected units to charge or pass Terror tests more easily.

Shadow Warriors A lot of people don't like these guys but vs DE's they aren't bad. For HtH these guys get hatred every round vs DE opponents. The scout rule helps us get the 1st turn if combined with Skeinsliver (less drops more chance of a +2 on the die roll).

Magic which Lores to use vs. DE's Assuming you have a minimum of Achmage and Lvl 2 or 2 Lvl 2's in your HE list.

In most games vs DE's I would use High Magic on a Lvl 2 Caster whatever the set up to gain the +1 for dispelling & the extra spell. I use Seer Staff & scroll which allows Drain Magic, Fury of Khaine & Curse of Arrow Attraction (If you are a shooty heavy) or Courage of Aenarion (if Melee heavy).

A brief run down pros and cons each Lore (Achmage) with Silver wand 5 out of 6 spells.

High Magic: Actually pretty good (hopefully get Flames of Phoenix for killing big blocks), Vauls unmaking good vs. RoH. Drain magic vs. strong DE Magic lists.
Lore of Heavens: Pretty good due to unlimited range on spells. Nice smaller spells to support shooting lists. The comet could be useful.
Lore of Metal: Pretty good vs Hydras, Cold ones & other big armour saves.
Lore of Beasts: A nice balance of spells to use probably not as strong as High Magic but this is a personal choice. Some good supporting spells but no big killer spell. Bears Anger good for foot characters, Movement spell, Bolt thrower, Beast Cowers vs Dragons etc..
Lore of Fire: Ok but probably better Lores to choose from. Wall of Fire (good vs. big blocks) also flaming attacks get past regen saves on Hydras.
Lore of Death: Ok once the opponent closes in
Lore of Life: Not recommended unless vs. shooty DE's list. Not bad for missile defense but no big offense spells.
Lore of Shadow: Not recommended unless you have a good reason for it. Unseen Lurker always good, but pit of Shades not so good vs. high initiative DE's.

Lore of Light: Not recommended. Best used vs. VC's or Daemons.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650