What are good tactics against a cannon heavy empire list

Discuss your tactics for the 7th Ed army book here, together with tactics for other races.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

What are good tactics against a cannon heavy empire list

#1 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Hi again! This is my 2nd topic and last time i only got advice from dabber so id like alot more advice.

I play against an empire army who likes to go 2 cannons in a 1000 point list and a steam tank if in 1500 or more. What the heck should i do against the stank and the cannons without losing a lot of points.

I usually take 2 mages, two units of 15 phoenix guard, a unit of 10 archers and 2 RBTs. Is this a good list? it has worked only 60% of the time with good dice rolling. Help?
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
HERO

#2 Post by HERO »

RBT and Eagles.

A Steam Tank in 1500 points is a little too much for High Elves :-P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#3 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

how would you use eagles? not used to eagles since im a new warhammer player. RBTs have been the way i've been going. Would spirt of the forge with mage be good too?
Kylim

#4 Post by Kylim »

Lore of Metal is a good lore to use against this kind of list with the anti-war machine/chariot spell and two 2D6 magic missiles.

An Eagle has two important roles march-blocking and redirection, I'm not too sure on the rules for the STank, but if it counts as a chariot for purposes of movement it can't march. Now redirection-wise what you'd do is just when your opponent has set himself up to charge an important unit you fly the eagle in front of the STank an inch or two away with the base pointing away from his target so that he either has to shoot your eagle out of the way in order to charge which means your eagle just bought you an extra turn or he has to charge the eagle which with the way the eagle is aligned he either pursues/overruns the eagle away from his intended target or he has to test to restrain which buys you an extra turn.
Allerion
Librarian

#5 Post by Allerion »

Plan A: go magic heavy. bring teclis. bring another lv2 or two. bring the BoS. bring out the RBTs

plan B: hide :D

at 1000 pts we dont have much to counter gunlines, maybe 2 lv2s. use ERs or SWs or eagles to take out crews. as said, 1500 pts doesnt get much better, except magic can be a little better, cause its easier to work the BoS in.
Excited for TOW
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#6 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

As many Eagles in a list as you're allowed should do the trick. Worked against Dwarves at 2000pts, and Empire are softer.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Keith

#7 Post by Keith »

The problem is, if you take eagles, you lack the best tool you have to deal with the steam tank... which is your bolt throwers. Take some shadow warriors to deal with cannons. Take two bolt throwers... just place them wisely, cannons are awesome for killing bolt throwers.

Your number one priority should be killing the tank, (or at least putting 4-5 wounds on it) with your bolt throwers/ lore of metal mages. even the default spell is good against the steam tank. you need to put wounds on it ASAP.
Drakova

#8 Post by Drakova »

It's funny, I keep smoking the empire gunline player I have too play. I bring a dragon and a lion chariot and even swordmasters in my all commers list, so he has plenty of juicy targets. Terrain, movement, and a good understanding charge direction can be very important. It only takes like 2 dragon princes to kill like 50 billion gunmen if they run down the side the right way.

tips for fighting a gunline, really good ones.

1) Vanilla Dragon Prince Flankers- Fast enough to make a charge from an angle so the majority of the army can't shoot at them, without turning to shoot. AKA not shooting. I run at a angle so i can barely get in a range of something while being out of range of things like hellblasters with my DP. I like the DP for their LD 9 and higher fighting stats is really important. 2 DP can destroy entire gunlines in close combat.

2) Spearmen- cheap commandless spearmen unit running straight at slow moving or stationary war machines is highly effective. My 90 point spearmen always get shot at because people hate losing a their gunline to 10 lowly spearmen, dwarves are little bit of an exception too this though.

3) Weakest Link- Ok so you have your flanks set up. How the hell is your center going to hold up you might ask, try this. If you have PG WL and SM, put the ellyrain banner on the SM and run up through a forest, If you have another forest run your WL throough that. You're PG can proudly stand in the very center where the majority of the 24 inch weapon can hit you. Let them take this.

4) Sacred Incense is overatted but an ok second to banner of ellyrian for avoiding ranged attacks.
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian

#9 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

I usually take lore of metal with my mages. I like to use the bolt-throwers against the cannons first as they cause A LOT of damage. I have to take as many bolt-throwers as there are cannons. Empire takes about 20 gunman and 10 outriders so archers and phoenix guard are amazing. Thanks for helping me out on the eagle thing Kylim :D