Eltherion's MSU HE's 2 day Tourney (some pics)

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eltherion

Eltherion's MSU HE's 2 day Tourney (some pics)

#1 Post by Eltherion »

This is the annual 2 day event in Tasmania, Australia, this year unfortunately there was no comp score so people could bring whatever they wanted. In spite of this there were some softer armies at the event which consisted of 23 players + the bye buster Greenskin Army.

All the games were Battle Line at this event.

Eltharion's MSU list
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
My Level 4 had Lore of Metal instead of Shadow.

Eltherion's MSU High Elves

Day 1.

Game 1. Eltharion's MSU HE's vs. Cameron's VC's

Vampire Army
2 Mortis Engines, 5 Hexwraiths, one unit of 130 Zombies with 3 Banshees, 3 Necromancers, Vampire Lord (with folding fortress).

Folding Fortress and undead Army.

8-12 loss (really unlucky this game should have been a 10-10).

Game 2. HE's vs. Ogres

Ogre Army
4 Mournfangs, 6 Leadbelchers, Ironblaster, Stonehorn, 8 Ogres, BSB Bruiser, Butcher, Tyrant, 7 Iron Guts, 6 Ogres, Firebelly.

9-11 loss (a careless mistake let victory slip from my grasp).

Game 3. HE's vs. Paul's Goblin Army

Paul's Goblins
2 Bolthrowers, 1 Doomdiver, 2 Rocklobbers, 3 Chariots, 2 Pump Wagons, 2 Mangler Squigs, 2 units Squig herds, 2 units wolf riders, 3 x 50 Night Goblins with Fanatics, Lvl4, 2 x Lvl 1's, Character on a wolf

11-9 win (not targeting his Level 4 in combat cost me a battle point, slow play by my opponent meant only 4 turns played which prevented a bigger win).

After an ordinary first days performance I had to go for the 20-0's to place anywhere in the Tourney.

Day 2.

Game 4. HE's vs. Connor's themed pestilence Skaven Army

Connor's Skaven
40 Plague Monks with Furnace and Lord Skrolk, 3 Rat Ogres, 2 x 7 Censor Bearers with Champions, 2 Plague Claw Catapults, 40 Plague Monks with Plague Priest on Giant Rat, 35 Clan Rats with BSB and Poison Wind Mortar.

Plague Claw Catapult with Skrolk & Plague Priest before deployment.

Furnace advancing towards the High Elf lines.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12-8 win (careless play in turns 5 & 6 cost me an 18-2 win :( ).

Game 5. Eltharion's MSU HE's vs. Chris's High Elves

Chris's High Elves
4 RBT's Eagle Claws, 2 Eagles, 16 Silver Helm bus FC, 20 Phoenix Guard, 24 White Lions, Alariel Everqueen, BSb Noble, 30 Spearmen, Lvl 1 mage Scroll, Ring of Fury.

Eltherion's Swordmaster unit with BSB

14-6 win (lucky dice helped here, but I finally got a solid win)

I was really disappointed with my generalship throughout the 2 day event, tiredness was partially to blame here. However the army played really well and careless mistakes cost me quite a few battle points.

I ended up 11th out of 24 and the top overall High Elf at the Tourney, however 2 Frosty lists got more Battle points than me.

Overview of how the units performed.

Battle Standard Bearer*** This guy did his job well and the extra wounds from the bow were useful as well. Undecided about the potion of Strength its a lot of points for a one off use.

Dragon Princes*** These guys were my shock troops and I used them to take on the enemies harder hitters.Game 2 they charged and defeated a Stonehorn, game 5 they defeated a Silver Helm bus and second unit killed RBT.

5 Silver Helms with shields*** This unit performed really well throughout the Tourney especially game 2 vs. Ogres (killed 4 Mournfangs & 6 Leadbelchers), game 3 vs. goblins (killed 2 x 5 wolf riders, & Squig herd), and game 5 vs. High elves (killed an eagle & eagle claw).

White Lions*** These guys are still solid even without the re-rolls to hit, however I found units of 10 to be too small for survivability.

2x Eagles*** sacrificed when needed to re-direct enemy, an essential part of an MSU army. Killed: Mangler Squig, Rock-lobber.

Sisters of Averlorn*** These units sniped a lot of small units over the course of the Tourney, they also contributed to reducing units sizes before combat.

2 x RBT's(Eagle Claws)*** The Tactical flexibility these units bring to the list is awesome, 2 seems about the right number needed.

Achmage*** with Book of Hoeth was really good but I didn't use him very well and had the Ring of Fury which wasn't needed. I was worried about not having a scroll but the book was so much better and allowed me to dominate the Magic phases with a solo Lvl 4.

Swordmasters** I am really unsure about these guys now as they are so brittle and more prone to fluffing their dice rolls (great if buffed by Enchanted Blades). Game 3 they underperformed and game 4 & 5 did well.

Seaguard** These guys were solid largely using their shooting which helped win in Game 5 vs. other HE's. Game 4 defeated some Clanrats.

Ellyrian Reavers** This unit was useful but fragile as well died in 4 out of 5 games.

Under performing units/items.
Ring of Fury: partially because I didn't use it or didn't have enough dice.

Banner of Eternal Flame: Due to the army match ups wasn't used, might be a better Banner to use with the WL's. It is also a bit redundant with Lore of Metal and the Sisters providing flaming.

Tweaks to the list for the future.
Probably dropping the Ring of Fury and re-investing the points into troops. This item did small amounts of damage but was rarely used due to lack of power dice and easily stopped by Level 4's.

Probably boosting the size of the White Lion units and dropping or swapping out the Banner of Eternal Flame.

Maybe mounting the BSB on a horse.

Might swap out a unit of Seaguard for more Silver Helms.

Generalship errors
1. Games 3 and 4 I didn't allocate enough attacks onto the Lvl 4 Mages which cost me 6 battle points.
2. When I miscast with my mage game 5 he was out of BSB range due to backing away to avoid Dwellers cost me 4 Battle points.
3. Game 4 trying to finish off the Censor Bearers with shooting instead of charging them cost me 4 Battle points.
4. Game 2 being careless with my BSB and Achmage cost me 3 Battle points.
Last edited by Eltherion on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 am, edited 47 times in total.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
Stormie

Re: MSU HE's at a 2 day Tourney.

#2 Post by Stormie »

I've also found the 5 Silver Helms to be a surprisingly effective unit for their cheap cost. Thanks for the summaries!
Jimmy
Centurion

Re: MSU HE's at a 2 day Tourney.

#3 Post by Jimmy »

I've always wanted to head back to the motherland and play a tournament in Tasmania. Thanks for the summary of battles.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Eltherion

Re: Eltharion's MSU HE's 2 day Tourney (some pics)

#4 Post by Eltherion »

Jimmy

Ye you should come down next year for the Championship, we used to have a few Vic's come over.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650