MSU HE v. Vampire Counts -complete

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Hinge

MSU HE v. Vampire Counts -complete

#1 Post by Hinge »

I got a game in today against Rage Quit Gaming podcaster and Ulthuan’s own Divinor. He was running his gorgeous VC, which deserved a better opponent then my proxied/borrowed HE.

Sample pictures of his army can be found at:

http://ipaintlittledudes.blogspot.com/s ... date=false

Divinor’s VC

Vamp Lord, L1, Hvy Armor, Shield, Sword of Might, ToP, OTS, Quickblood, Red Fury, Lore of Vampire
Master Necro, L4, Power Stone, L4, Lore ov Vampires
Cairn Wraith
Cairn Wraith
Necro, L2, Scroll, Lore of Death
40 Crypt Ghouls, Champ
5 Dire Wolves
5 Dire Wolves
20 Zombies, Mus, Std
20 Zombies, Mus, Std
Spirit Host
Spirit Host
34 Grave Guard, FC, Banner of Barrows, GW
2 Fell Bats
Vargulf
Terrogeist

Hinge’s MSU High Elfs

LoreMaster, Top, Book
Noble, Dragon Armor, BSB, Reaver Bow, PoT ST, Halberd
14 Archers, FC
14 Archers, FC
5 Reavers, Mus, Bow, Spear
5 Reavers, Mus, Bow, Spear
6 Silverhelms, FC
6 Dragon Princes, FC, Banner of Eternal Flame
5 Shadow Warriors
12 White Lions, Mus, Std, Banner of Swiftness
6 Swordmasters
2 x 1 Tiranoc Chariot
2x5 Sisters
2x1 Great Eagles
2x1 Eagle Claw RBT
Frost Phoenix

My aim was to take down the TG and Spirit hosts as fast as I could. Then avoiding the Vamp lord and pouncing on anything else that would earn me points.

I will get the write up done this week.
Last edited by Hinge on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=150][url=http://hingehammer.blogspot.com]Hinge Hammer Blog[/url][/size]

[url=http://www.rqgpodcast.com/]Rage Quit Gaming[/url]
Hinge

Re: MSU HE v. Vampire Counts

#2 Post by Hinge »

Deployment

Not caring about Steadfast, and wanting to take advantage for cover from the Elven shooting. The evil Vampires cleverly weight their right flank to take advantage of a large forest (which proved to be the normal sort). In the meantime, the elves set up a fire base around a hill and create a no landing zone for the TG. The Swordmasters find themselves in a wild wood.

Spells are rolled.
Lord-IoN
L4-IoN, Hellish Vigor, Dance, and curse
L2 – Spirit Leach, Fate

The Vamps win first turn

VC Turn 1

Wiith a howl, the left dire wolves charge at an advance party of Reavers. The master horseman prove their metal as they quickly dispatch the wolves at the cost of one of their own. The rest of the horde shambles into the forest. Coming to life as if commanded, the wildwood claims two swordmasters.

Count von Divanor’s wretched minion reads foul words from his forbidden tome, and with a mighty surge of power, the horde rushes forward to the very edge of the forest. Much to the horror of the watching elves, more zombies rose from the ground.

Helf Turn 1

Surprised at the rapid advance of the undead, the Loremaster orders the Eagles out front. The Princes quickly smash some intervening wolves out of the way

The Loremaster’s best efforts to bring magical aid were thwarted by the Master Necro. All shooting is sent at the monstrous creature but it is only lightly wounded.

VC Turn 2

The Eagles are quickly destroyed.
During magic, the Master necro brings more zombies to life while healing the Terror Geist. With a shattering scream, the Terror Geist destroys a unit of horseman.

Helf Turn 2

With a roar, the High Elf line surges forward in an attempt to bust through the ghouls. The White Lion and BSBs unit fail but the rest make it in. The shadow warriors find themselves out of position and the Sisters advance to intercept the Vampire Lord.

The Lore master punches an Iceshard blizzard through onto the ghouls. Shooting is marginal.

The High elves strike fiercely but 9 ghouls and the wraith live.

VC Turn 3

The Zombies charge into the Phoenix. While the Vamp Lord accepts the offering of the Sisters.

During the magic phase, The Master Necro harness the winds and rides them, casting two spells with IF but suffering a wound for his efforts.

The terror Geist screams at the phoenix but only inflicts a single wund on the ancient creature.

During Combat, the newly raised ghouls were not enough and the unit plus the wraith is destroyed.
Last edited by Hinge on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hinge

#3 Post by Hinge »

Helf Turn 3

With the Ghouls cleared out, the Silver helms find the narrowest of paths between units and charges the TG. One of the Chariots crashes over a wall and through some woods to hit the beats in the rear. The Princes fail their charge on the spirit host. The other Chariot charges into the hulking Vargulf in an attempt to lock it up. The Loremaster’s body guard starts to back out.

Once again, the Loremaster’s attempts at magic are stopped.
Shooting proves more effective as a spirit host and the fell bats are destroyed.
During combat, the Phoenix once again smashes up some zombies. The Terror Geist is destroyed and the silver helms race forward into the Master Necro’s bunker to put an end to his foul magics. The chariot races forward but is to intent on smashing into the Vargulf and fails to see a stump, smashing itself to bits. With out the aid of the second chariot, the vargulf smashes up the single chariot foolish enough to charge it and turns to face the Loremasters body guard.

VC Turn 4

The Varguld hurdles itself into the Loremasters archers. While the Vamp Lord goes after some Shadow Warriors.

During Magic, Once again the Necro raises more troops and heals himself.

The Sliver Helms smash in, killing the apprentice and doing two wounds to the Master Necro. The Vargulf tears into the archers, killing them all and routing the Loremaster, who proves not to be quick enough to get away.

Helf Turn 4

Out to exact revenge, the Swordmasters and BSB’s (after downing a potion) unit charge the Vargulf. The Reavers found thir way to the Master Necro (who had stepped into the middle of its bunker anyways) blocked by single row of the zombies engaged with the Phoenix, so decide to charge to its aid. The Princes decide to do in the spirit host blocking its path. The White Lions step forward to intercept the Vamp Lord.

During combat, the Vargulf is quickly overwhelmed by the Swordmasters and BSB. Even more zombies die. However, the Silver Helms adrenlin starts to flag as they realize the horrors they have been facing. Despite this, they hit the Necro 4 times, yet fail to do the single wound it would have taken to kill them. Exhausted they have had enough and attempt to get away but are run down!

VC Turn 5

The Vamp Lord howls in glee as finally there is an opponent that is worthy of him and charges the White Lions. In a gore filled rampage, he quickly slays 9 of the valiant white lions on his own, dooming the unit.

After a near undeath experience the Master Necro has free reign on his spells, raising even more zombies, many who then put right back down by the Phoenix.

Helf Turn 5

The Sisters charge in to free the phoenix, while the swordmaster move toward the Vamp Lord. The BSB jumps out to Archers to lend support to encourage the remaining High Elf troops engaged in combat. More Zombies die but the unit remains. The Spirit host finally crumbles.

VC Turn 6

The Vamp Lord charges and makes short work of the Sword Masters. The Master necro does not like how the Phoenix is finally getting the upper hand and flees out the back of the zombie unit, though raises some more zombies in the process. When the dust clears, there are 5 zombies remaining in that combat.

Helf Turn 6

The BSB steps around the combat, takes aim at the Master Necro and fires. He hits twice and the master necro fails both Look out sirs and is wounded both times. The RBT’s take careful aim between the woods and intervening troops and fire a hail of arrows, one of which finds the mark… and fails to wound!

The Zombie unit finally crumbles to dust, in the end the Phoenix had a single wound left on him!.

In the end, it was a 300 point loss to the Elves.
Last edited by Hinge on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hinge

#4 Post by Hinge »

What can I say another loss for the High Elves. The game certainly had a couple highs and lows. I made some mistakes, did some things right, and learned some lessons.

1. Magic- I was completely dominated by magic this game. My phase was consistently shut down. Generally PD v. DD was very close, as I often rolled a 1 for one of my winds and he was packing 3 channel attempts. Additionally the Book was nearly useless, most of the time it did not improve my attempt. Finally I think I did not choose my casting strategy correctly. I was often casting 2 spells, throwing nearly equal dice at both. I think I should have gone heavy with one or just try and drip 3 or 4 through. As far as defense, he simply rolled over me.

2. The VC got a bubble Dance off on the first turn with a big casting, pushing his troops closer. This put me on my back heels and I reacted poorly. I had no need to sacrifice the eagle to the ghouls. Frankly, if he wanted to keep pushing them forward, I would have been happy. I should have just focused on slowing down the Vamp Lord. This would have given me one more cheap unit to sacrifice to him, rather than having to resort to throwing more expensive units at him.

3. The Silver Helm Dart worked well. My opponent had initially positioned his Vargulf such that once the Ghouls were gone, The Silver Helms only charge was the vargulf. However, I reformed the Archers by taking files away (narrowing the unit), providing just enough space to create an angle that allowed me to shoot between the Vargulf and the grave Guard. I love high damage out put on a narrow front.
4. Ah, turn 3/4. I got some excellent charges off. However, my big mistake was keeping the Loremaster in the Archer unit. By jumping ship, I am pretty confident I could have kept him alive. He represents 430 points to my opponent and was the difference in me winning and losing on its own. I also wonder what would have happened if the right Chariot would have followed up and hit the Vargulf instead of failing a DT test and smashing itself to bits. Bad decisions always seem to lead to failed dice.

5. The master Necro. Arrgh! Twice I had him down to a single wound and could not finish him off. Those points would have brought it to a draw. So close.

6. I plunked the Sisters down opposite the Spirit Hosts. I think I would have been better served to deploy them near units I do not want ethereal units messing with instead. This was a case of having a cool new special rule and wanting to use it rather then what is most tactically expedient. If I placed both on my right, I would have had 2 units shooting at the Spirit Host and hopefully getting rid of it so the Dragon Princes could swing around that flank. Even knocking wounds off of it would allow the DP to charge and crumble the unit in one round/turn.
It was a super fun game against a gorgeous army and a guy who is a perennial Best Sports candidate at every tournament he attends. There were several momentum swings where I thought I had it and saw my hopes dashed.

With getting some games in, I am finally getting the hang of the army and am looking forward to reversing my fortunes in the next battle.

Divinor

Re: MSU HE v. Vampire Counts -complete

#5 Post by Divinor »

Great battle report bud! This was a highly entertaining game. I wish I would have been a little more tactical, it appears all I did was create a gigantic bubble of doom and march forward =).

Here are some more pics of the battle, I'll try and get the rest up soon. Maybe not. Who knows?

Ulthuan Plog: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46990]Div's Athel Loren Elves[/url]
Blog: [url]http://ipaintlittledudes.blogspot.com/[/url]
Podcast: [url]http://www.rqgpodcast.com/[/url]
Hinge

#6 Post by Hinge »

Holy crap. Thanks Div. My three complaints:

You had to show my proxied army v. your amazing army.

blank out my face?, I am better looking then Brad Pitt!

who's ogre gut did you photo shop into that picture.

Hinge

PS

7 months until Waagh Paca's Manliest Man contest! Time to "pump you up"! (to old a reference?)

and yes, finish the pics dude. You played the game well. I tried to bait a no fly zone for the TG and you did not even think to bite on it.

Notice the strategically placed End Game tape measure? Should I be asking for a royalty?

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#7 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for the report! It was a great read and the pictures with comments only spiced it up! Excellent stuff and inspiration for my own reports too! =D>

Now onto some random comments on the game itself!

I am fully aware that I am talking with the benefit of the hindsight but knowing that VC army needs to have a compact formation and that trees offer some shooting protection not slowing the army down, was it really a good option for undead to deploy on the left flank? I presume you anticipated that. Do you think that deploying regiments on the right flank further away would be beneficial?
Your shooters were in a good position already while adding a few inches might help (that's what she said anyway :)).

It is hard not to notice you are sporting narrow formations, in particular for cavalry. You have mentioned in the summary of the game you like it. I understand it is good to have more attacks at narrower frontage and that you can sneak in between units easier but then what about wheels?

Oh, almost forgot. Could you tell which character in VC army was where? I think wraith was with gouls, master necro and his apprentice were in zombies and lord and second wraith were with grave guard. Am I correct?

In your turn 2 you performed fantastic combined charge against ghouls. But I have also noticed you pulled back the reavers behind the house. I wonder if that helped if they diverted zombies so that you could have protected the phoenix from the flank charge. It would allow you to have it free to fly again and maybe be more useful elsewhere?

It was a little unlucky to lose a chariot in the woods but then these things happen sometimes. I was wondering, however, if another option would have been good as well. You could charge the vargulf with chariot and silver helms. It is of course risky as even if it is easier to wound than TG it has that tricky regeneration and it might render the attacks useless. It, however, offered a potential to kill it and then overrun with SH into a TG as well. Which was enough to kill it too. Do you think it was viable option?

Of course destroying TG gave you the chance to get to the master necro which was a great opportunity in itself. A pity he was lucky enough to stay alive and heal himself. He was very lucky that game indeed!

It was indeed most unfortunate to lose the Loremaster. Did he fight against the Vargulf too? I agree, moving him out of the unit should have saved him and unfortunately for MSU armies, the characters are so expensive that losing one is very often the difference between lose or win. As it was the case here as well.

You also raised a very important issue with the Loremaster. I will need to test it in more games but in my recent one I have found out that casting as many spells as possible put a lot of pressure on my opponent. Of course dispelling spells from 3 casters is a huge challenge anyway. You did great killing the apprentice and you almost got the master too.

It was still a very close game. It is also worth mentioning that if you saved the Loremaster and got the master necro it would have been a nice swing into your favor. The bright side is that you can do that next time! Add to that some lessons learned (you have already mentioned some things to do differently, like sisters deployment) and it can easily be your win next time!

I would also like to add that I like a lot your charges from all directions! Your smaller frontage and units such as chariots definitely allow that. What is more it seems that it is hard for the enemy to anticipate that. Well done! =D>

Thanks again for a great report and to Divinor for awesome pictures!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Divinor

#8 Post by Divinor »

Yes, those darts and chariots are surprisingly narrow. With so many threats presented it is very difficult to predict all of them, which is exactly what happened against the TG. I was insanely lucky that my master necromancer was able to survive the helms :mrgreen:
Ulthuan Plog: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46990]Div's Athel Loren Elves[/url]
Blog: [url]http://ipaintlittledudes.blogspot.com/[/url]
Podcast: [url]http://www.rqgpodcast.com/[/url]
Hinge

#9 Post by Hinge »

@Swordmaster-

As usual, your feedback is welcome. Yes, you have the character positions correct.

I think you hit the mark on deployment. My approach had a fundamental flaw in that it allowed Divinor a shorter route to me, allowing him to put pressure on me right away and leading to some sub-optimal decisions on my part. I think my deployment had an element of hoping I would get the first turn, even though the odds were against it. I really need to assume I will not be getting the first turn. I am finding that I am always surprised when an Archer unit is in range when I think it is not. I am going to blame the transition from blow pipes, where you need to be up close and personal, to the Longbows! If I had kept my line anchored on the hill but shifted the deployment to the left side of it, I think it would have played out much better .

I view the Silver Helms as more of a missile rather than a maneuver element. It can create a large threat zone while taking up very little space in my lines. I can launch them to support other units or for a suicide assassination run. There narrow frontage will catch some people by surprise when I squeak through a gap, along with their long charge ranges. The wide swinging tail is less of a factor in this situation.

I view the Dragon Princes much differently. In the last 2 games, they have been 2,4 and 6, wide at times. This is partly to take advantage of their multiple attacks and partly bringing the best formation for the situation.

I thought about going into the Vargulf with the Silver Helms but screams have been the bane of my MSU lists and I really wanted to make sure I locked that TG down. Once I saw I had the potential to overrun into the necro bunker, it seemed a better choice.

Being more worried about the scary noises coming from the other side of the house, the Reavers were unable to march.

Eltherion

#10 Post by Eltherion »

Another good good Batrep Hinge and a well fought battle.

Here are a few of the things I have noticed about this game.

Firstly the VC player had a lot of points tied up in the GG with characters and this was the key unit to destroy. Admittedly a difficult thing to do as the VC player had lots of chaff units to prevent combo charges on this unit. Also it being behind the woods meant it was harder to shoot and Magic to reduce the GG numbers.

Getting the Phoenix tied up with Zombies was not going to net many points even if it won eventually. So the turn the PG went into the Ghouls the ER's may have been able to charge the Zombies or just get in the way to prevent a flank charge on the FP.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
Tuor Faelivrin

#11 Post by Tuor Faelivrin »

I had similar experience with my MMU+MSU army vs similar VC army but with much worse results. The big GG unit is the most difficult to handle, especially if there's no anti infantry spell like Fiery Convocation.

Interesting, grueling battle!
[i]"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender[/i]
Iluvatar

#12 Post by Iluvatar »

Thanks a lot for this report, Hinge! Just like your report against Skavens, I couldn't help wonder how you could pull a win with your army, but that's the charm of MSU. In the end you lost, but it was a close fight and could have turned easily in your favour, as others said (damn necromancer! :P ).
You're also right about deployment: I guess you left the most obvious path open to the VC army. I do hope you'll share other reports with us, so we can check if you learn from those defeats! :wink:
mclovin25

#13 Post by mclovin25 »

Really good report. I enjoyed reading that and the pictures really helped me visualise what was going on.
As a VC player I find that magic is something that I rely on a lot in order to bring back troops and bog enemy units down for multiple turns. Have you considered shutting down his magic maybe with a lvl4 Mage instead of the lvl2. And with the law of high magic you get that extra +1 to cast which will give you that fighting chance with spells like fiery convocation.
All in all though it sounded like a close game and great fun to play. :)