A new painting blog - OK Army project: Last two Maneaters

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

MasterOfNone

Re: A new painting blog

#31 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote: It's an acronym for you!

:)
Doh!
SpellArcher wrote: The guy fifth pic down from the start of the thread.

I love your eagle rider. I can appreciate Shannar's point of view but my High Elf army is of those models and is about 75% converted.
I see, then definitely not the Bladelord.
Thanks for the comment on the eagle rider.
I also have a rather relaxed attitude to miniatures and converting them, only I don't have the patience to do it systematically.

A question on heroes on eagles in 8th edition. Not sure if I read the rules wrong, but the eagle should be a monstrous mount, not a monster, right? As such, should it not form a single unit with the rider, that has combined T and W stats (the higher of the pair), while WS and S for attacks are treated separately?
If that were the case, it is a great upgrade in survivability for the hero, that costs only 50 points
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#32 Post by MasterOfNone »

New page, time for a few new images.
Dragon Princes :)

It's rather unlikely that I chose to field all of them, but it's nice to be able to, just in case...
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#33 Post by Prince of Spires »

MasterOfNone wrote:It's rather unlikely that I chose to field all of them, but it's nice to be able to, just in case...
I have a "rule" that any model I finish needs to be used (if at all possible of course) in my next battle. Which has led me to field some interesting models like a dragon mage or a skycutter. So I would say, field all 10 of them in a battle at least once ;)

They look great by the way. The grey and red work very well together and I like how stoic they look. And the banner is lovely.
MasterOfNone wrote:A question on heroes on eagles in 8th edition. Not sure if I read the rules wrong, but the eagle should be a monstrous mount, not a monster, right? As such, should it not form a single unit with the rider, that has combined T and W stats (the higher of the pair), while WS and S for attacks are treated separately?
If that were the case, it is a great upgrade in survivability for the hero, that costs only 50 points
You are correct. They become monstrous cavalry and not a monster. Which makes them a pretty decent choice. The model has 2 downsides.
- He can't hide from shooting in a unit. Canon's and such can target him separately. And, if he joins a unit, the unit is only M2 (since that's the movement of the eagle).
- If your opponent can ground him somehow (the Skaven have a spell and a banner that does this), then he becomes very slow and has trouble keeping up with the rest of the army.
If you keep those two in mind then he's a pretty good choice. He is not powerful enough to deal with units on his own, but he can definitely help other units with flank charges and he's very mobile.

I like your army lists. They are not over the top hard lists, but they should work nicely. Try a few different things and see what you like. The frostheart phoenix is an amazing force multiplier. Giving ASL and -1S to the opponent is huge. Give a dragon a try sometime. I love them and I only stopped taking them because my regular opponent has a lot of trouble dealing with them, which means they can make for one sides games (and also because I like variety). Though, the dragon mage I mentioned earlier is a lot of fun to use (not good, just fun...). A unit you could look into is elyrian reavers. They're decent redirectors and great to take because they are core.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
MasterOfNone

#34 Post by MasterOfNone »

Prince of Spires wrote: I have a "rule" that any model I finish needs to be used (if at all possible of course) in my next battle. Which has led me to field some interesting models like a dragon mage or a skycutter. So I would say, field all 10 of them in a battle at least once ;)
I like the rule, I should adopt it.
Prince of Spires wrote:They look great by the way. The grey and red work very well together and I like how stoic they look. And the banner is lovely.
Thanks!
Prince of Spires wrote: You are correct. They become monstrous cavalry and not a monster. Which makes them a pretty decent choice. The model has 2 downsides.
- He can't hide from shooting in a unit. Canon's and such can target him separately. And, if he joins a unit, the unit is only M2 (since that's the movement of the eagle).
- If your opponent can ground him somehow (the Skaven have a spell and a banner that does this), then he becomes very slow and has trouble keeping up with the rest of the army.
If you keep those two in mind then he's a pretty good choice. He is not powerful enough to deal with units on his own, but he can definitely help other units with flank charges and he's very mobile.

I like your army lists. They are not over the top hard lists, but they should work nicely. Try a few different things and see what you like. The frostheart phoenix is an amazing force multiplier. Giving ASL and -1S to the opponent is huge. Give a dragon a try sometime. I love them and I only stopped taking them because my regular opponent has a lot of trouble dealing with them, which means they can make for one sides games (and also because I like variety). Though, the dragon mage I mentioned earlier is a lot of fun to use (not good, just fun...). A unit you could look into is elyrian reavers. They're decent redirectors and great to take because they are core.

Rod
I have to learn what can constrain to the ground my fliers.
Regarding the risk from cannons, my approach would be to hide as much as possible or put several fliers, to saturate the targets. Preferably the first, the second sounds like taking some very expensive risk.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#35 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:I have to learn what can constrain to the ground my fliers.
Basically the Storm Banner (most Skaven armies should bring this) and the magic horn from the Bretonnian book (less common). There's also a Skaven spell but that can often be stopped.
Prince of Spires wrote:- He can't hide from shooting in a unit. Canon's and such can target him separately. And, if he joins a unit, the unit is only M2 (since that's the movement of the eagle).
While I agree with everything else Rod wrote, this can be a little nuanced. BS shooting (including importantly RBT) and most spells can't single him out. Dark Elf Pegasus Riders for example make great use of Dark Riders as cover. The unit moves forward, then the hero joins it. Next turn he leaves then the unit moves away. Of course this doesn't help much against templates.
MasterOfNone wrote:It's rather unlikely that I chose to field all of them
Not doing so would be a crime, they are magnificent! As Rod said, the lists you posted earlier are all solid but I'd be strongly tempted to build one around this unit. It has brightened up my day.
MasterOfNone

#36 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote:Basically the Storm Banner (most Skaven armies should bring this) and the magic horn from the Bretonnian book (less common). There's also a Skaven spell but that can often be stopped.
Did the Skaven get an army book in 8th or did they continue using the 7th edition one?
SpellArcher wrote:While I agree with everything else Rod wrote, this can be a little nuanced. BS shooting (including importantly RBT) and most spells can't single him out. Dark Elf Pegasus Riders for example make great use of Dark Riders as cover. The unit moves forward, then the hero joins it. Next turn he leaves then the unit moves away. Of course this doesn't help much against templates.
How about Look out Sir? In the situation you describe would it work or would it be the weaker version?
SpellArcher wrote:Not doing so would be a crime, they are magnificent! As Rod said, the lists you posted earlier are all solid but I'd be strongly tempted to build one around this unit. It has brightened up my day.
Most kind. I will think of a list, for fun and some feedback from the old warriors around here.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#37 Post by MasterOfNone »

I am working on the Sea Guard and Swordmasters from the recently purchased IoB box, then will come the wizard.
In the meantime, I thought I would post something very old, because I like that model a bit, even though again it will be unlikely I will field it.
It was painted about 25 years ago!

PS It needs rebasing and proper gluing to the base,
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#38 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote: Not doing so would be a crime, they are magnificent! As Rod said, the lists you posted earlier are all solid but I'd be strongly tempted to build one around this unit. It has brightened up my day.
OK, I have thought of an army list that almost fulfills your wish (I am leaving out the DPs' musician), and that I actually like so much that I'll try it in an upcoming solo game against my O&G's. Here it is:

25 Spearelves, full command, Gleaming Pennant 260
14 Archers 140
5 Silver Helms (shields) 115
5 Silver Helms (shields) 115
TOT CORE 630

9 Dragon Princes, champion, Banner of Eternal Flame 291
TOT SPECIAL 291

3 RBT's 210
1 Frostheart phoenix 240
2 Great Eagles 100
TOT RARE 550

Lvl 4 Archmage (High), BoH Talisman of Endurance, elven steed 325
Prince, Giant Blade, Enchanted shield, Dawnstone, barded steed 277
TOT LORDS 602

Noble, BSB, barded steed, Heavy armour+shield, Golden Crown 156
Sword of Might, Dragonhelm,
Noble, Heavy armour+shield, Sword of Antiheroes, OTS 126
Potion of Foolhardiness
Lvl2 Mage (TBD) Dispel scroll 145
TOT HEROES 427
GRAND TOTAL 2500

Slight doubt on magic banners, I could take both of them out to give the DP's the Banner of Sfwiftness

The second noble would lead the spearelves, it is geared to take out even fairly big opponents.
Having a champion in the unit adds flexibility vs challenges.
The Archmage would be in the DP's to give them up to 3++, the other mage stays with the archers.
The two unit of SH's can clear chaff or give supporting charges, 2 eagles to war machines chasing and the phoenix to nerf opponents in big grinding fights.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#39 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:did they continue using the 7th edition one?
This.
MasterOfNone wrote:How about Look out Sir? In the situation you describe would it work or would it be the weaker version?
Doesn't work because it requires the character and host unit to be the same Unit Type. Eagle Guy (or a Peg Rider) is Monstrous Cavalry and the unit won't be.
MasterOfNone wrote:It was painted about 25 years ago!
Lovely job! Funnily enough I painted one of these just a couple of years after that. Shannar has some on his painting blog.
MasterOfNone wrote:OK, I have thought of an army list
It's an interesting list, well worth trying out as is. If I had to find an issue with it, it's the foot Heroes. These guys generally just aren't durable enough in a High Elf list, unless you've got some boosted Ward save action going on. The Noble is likely to do some killing but then die too soon. The Mage has better prospects but even bunkering in the Archers leaves him slightly vulnerable. If optimising, I'd be tempted to drop both in favour of a unit of elite infantry.
MasterOfNone

#40 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote: It's an interesting list, well worth trying out as is. If I had to find an issue with it, it's the foot Heroes. These guys generally just aren't durable enough in a High Elf list, unless you've got some boosted Ward save action going on. The Noble is likely to do some killing but then die too soon. The Mage has better prospects but even bunkering in the Archers leaves him slightly vulnerable. If optimising, I'd be tempted to drop both in favour of a unit of elite infantry.
Agreed on both. Not yet thought of what lore to give him, but I do want a second wizard, and not just because of the scroll. Perhaps Life to help some characters live longer.

As for the noble on foot, I know he might not last long, but he is protected by the unit until in HtH combat, at which point I am planning on using it as an archmage or lord slayer (if the lord is not too tooled up, for example an Orc).
The idea is that I can use the champion to tie one turn the other leader in CC while I kill about a bit, then engage. With Sword of antiheroes, potion of foolhardiness, ASF and OTS I can dish a lot of strike first, rerollable, high S attacks that are resistant to ward save. In a unit with a fighter character + a mage I can do 6 rerollable S6 attacks on the first round and have decent chances at scoring 3 wounds straight away. This will most likely kill something more expensive than my noble.
If there is around a Life wizard then things become even more interesting. Hand of Glory or Apotheosis can also prolong his life. The Phoenix could also help him survive a bit longer. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea, it could transform a rather dull block of spearelves into something useful and perhaps surprise the opponent.

EDIT: I just realised OTS and Potion of Foolhardiness is not legal :( Back to the drawing board.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#41 Post by MasterOfNone »

I am near the end of the two sets on infantry troops from the Island of Blood set that I recently purchased, I am hoping to be able to post by the end of the weekend.
In the meantime, something from my archives to whet your appetite... It's fast. It's big. It's red, and it's got big claws:

My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#42 Post by MasterOfNone »

Revealing a bit more

My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Vermis

#43 Post by Vermis »

:lol: Tease!
MasterOfNone

#44 Post by MasterOfNone »

Vermis wrote::lol: Tease!
I'll show you a bit more ;)

My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Vermis

#45 Post by Vermis »

Nice. :D I like how the red and silver matches with your dragon princes, in a lore-ish sort of way.
MasterOfNone

#46 Post by MasterOfNone »

Vermis wrote:Nice. :D I like how the red and silver matches with your dragon princes, in a lore-ish sort of way.
That's more by accident than design, but well spotted anyway.
I guess the reason is that red is such a classic colour for dragons, that if I have only one, it has to be like that.
(And the Dragon Princes are frustrated dragon riders, if they could they go immediately back a few thousands years ago when they actually did ride them. :lol: )

My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#47 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:red is such a classic colour for dragons
Seeing it just does something to the brain. Nicely executed too! Shield looks interesting.
MasterOfNone

#48 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote: Nicely executed too! Shield looks interesting.
Thanks!
I got this miniature off eBay as it was - no options in terms of equipment.
I have a suspicion it may be a dark elf shield, if it is don't tell anyone ;)
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#49 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice! I like him. You can't really go wrong with giant, fire-breathing, flying lizards... :D And of course they have to be red. Do they come in other colours? ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
MasterOfNone

#50 Post by MasterOfNone »

Prince of Spires wrote:Nice! I like him. You can't really go wrong with giant, fire-breathing, flying lizards... :D And of course they have to be red. Do they come in other colours? ;)

Rod
Thanks!
Nope, in my land they are only red :)

Rod you need to start painting and posting again... How is your new painting studio coming along? The last update was a year ago.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#51 Post by MasterOfNone »

I finally caught up with my painting schedule.
The last few days have been particularly productive. Thursday I have finished painting and varnished 10 swordmasters, 10 Lothern Sea Guard and two mounted mages.
Yesterday I based them, and all the other miniatures previously posted here that were lacking a base. All now also have lost their distracting white bases :)
Overall yesterday I based 38 infantry and 16 cavalry!

Here are some images:
Mounted mages

Swordmasters:

Sea Guard - I am particularly pleased with them, they are gorgeous miniatures and I am happy with the hue:

Some details of the command units:
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Shown up close the miniatures reveal a breakdown in detail quality. Unfortunately this is due not just to lack of patience, but also to the limited resolving power of my ageing eyes :(
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#52 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:Overall yesterday I based 38 infantry and 16 cavalry!
=D>
MasterOfNone wrote:Sea Guard - I am particularly pleased with them
They're excellent MasterofNone. I feel the red sea dragons are key and tie in really nicely with your actual dragon!
MasterOfNone wrote:Shown up close the miniatures reveal a breakdown in detail quality.
The thing is, viewing them on my laptop they're larger than the actual models so it's a bit unfair on them. Also I always feel that how they look as a unit or indeed as an army is equally important.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#53 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: The thing is, viewing them on my laptop they're larger than the actual models so it's a bit unfair on them. Also I always feel that how they look as a unit or indeed as an army is equally important.
I think it's actually more important how they look as a unit then close-up. You will rarely bend down and completely examine all the little details on a model. But when playing you will always see the complete units and it's the big picture then that matters. And that's great with these. They've very elven for me, with the clean whites and the bright colors and their strict, organized look. Well done.

Rod

Check out my plog

MasterOfNone

#54 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote:They're excellent MasterofNone. I feel the red sea dragons are key and tie in really nicely with your actual dragon!
Thanks, I agree although again it's a slightly fortuitous outcome - OK maybe not so fortuitous given that as previously mentioned for me red is the default and quintessential dragon colour.
Prince of Spires wrote:They've very elven for me, with the clean whites and the bright colors and their strict, organized look. Well done.
Thanks, these are important visual elements for me, which I agree are distinctive of the High Elves.
I also like opposite look of the Elves, which is why I am into O&G's too.
When I am finished with this wave of elves painting I will start posting some images of my other army as well.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
MasterOfNone

#55 Post by MasterOfNone »

My painting blog has been silent for a while, but not because I was inactive.
In fact, quite the opposite.
I have taken off my chest the painting of my core troops, apart from the spearmen's shield, which will be a DIY project for later (waiting for the blue stuff).
I have 15 new spearelves and 19 archers. There is nothing exciting about the spearmen, they are rather insipid (at best) miniatures so I just got them painted.

The archers however are different, they are really ancient models, that I have owned over 30 years and have repainted to fit in my current army both in terms of colours and painting standard.
I have more modern archers, but I far prefer these models.

My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#56 Post by SpellArcher »

MasterOfNone wrote:I have 15 new spearelves
Good unit MON. Sure the plastics are a bit 2-dimensional but they are around 30 years old. I don't recognise the other guys.
MasterOfNone wrote:The archers however are different
My HE archers are the same models and I have an especial fondness for them. Yours are really nicely painted.
Olthannon

#57 Post by Olthannon »

I really like those 3 spearmen at the front, what models are they?
One foot in the hobby
MasterOfNone

#58 Post by MasterOfNone »

Olthannon wrote:I really like those 3 spearmen at the front, what models are they?
They are from Gamezone.
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins
Vermis

#59 Post by Vermis »

Great to see the vintage models. Very nice work on them.

And y'know, this is the first decent look I've had at those Gamezone elves. They fit in well, I think.
MasterOfNone

#60 Post by MasterOfNone »

SpellArcher wrote:
MasterOfNone wrote:I have 15 new spearelves
Good unit MON. Sure the plastics are a bit 2-dimensional but they are around 30 years old. I don't recognise the other guys.
MasterOfNone wrote:The archers however are different
My HE archers are the same models and I have an especial fondness for them. Yours are really nicely painted.
Sorry I forgot to reply to this comment. As mentioned above they are from Gamezone, which is better known in this forum, I think, for some excellent Great Eagles (I don't have any of those).
My painting blog

My WHFB armies:
High Elves
Dwarfs
Orcs and Goblins