Hawk ship sizing

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Nicanor

Hawk ship sizing

#1 Post by Nicanor »

What would be a comparable real sailing vessel in size to a high elf hawk ship?
Olthannon

Re: Hawk ship sizing

#2 Post by Olthannon »

Well according to Man O' War, Hawkships are quick patrol ships armed with two repeater bolt throwers. So these are tiny wee things, not even frigate sized.

If you were to think of 14th - 18th century vessels and their sizes, most navies used fast sloop-ships or Cutters to patrol their waters to counter smuggling and alert larger fleets.

So sloops, cutters, caravels that kind of thing is about my estimate. Most of these are max 30 metres in length, often smaller.
One foot in the hobby
Nicanor

#3 Post by Nicanor »

So the eagle ship would be the size of say an old age of sail frigate?
Olthannon

#4 Post by Olthannon »

Based on their description again from Man O' War, I'd say they are bigger than a frigate, more of a ship of the line. Based on the fact that they have a whole broadside of bolt throwers as well, they need the space on deck. If these are the High Elf mainstay in the fleets that do all the heavy lifting, they're probably comparable to third or fourth rate ships (Royal Navy rating system might not be that useful - I guess Destroyers are the closest modern comparison in terms of their role). They would seem to fit the role of a frigate and a line of battle ship given that they are so manoeuvrable. They don't seem to need frigates when their big ships can move about so quickly. Man O' War suggests they're a lot bigger than Hawkships, maybe 50m in length.

Dragonships seem to be colossal in size and the meanest things on the waves, Hawkships are quick shore patrol vessels and Eagleships are the genuine battleships.
One foot in the hobby
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

I don't think there is a definitive exact size for elven (or other for that matter) ships. Given the longevity of elves and the fact that they build things to last, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still ships around that are 50+ years old. Things tend to change throughout the years as technology and the enemy changes. So there is bound to be an evolution in ships and their sizes and designs. Also, since all princes will probably maintain their own fleet in some fashion there's bound to be regional differences.

With that in mind I think the terms are more a classification of purpose then of exact dimensions. Hawk ships are the small patrol type ships. Dragon ships are the battleship / aircraft carrier size ships that move whole armies across the map and are a force in themselves. Eagle ships then are indeed the class somewhere in between. I think both frigate and ship of the line fit in this class.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.