Elven skirmish force (Waystones)

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Miro

Elven skirmish force (Waystones)

#1 Post by Miro »

Decided to scrap and recycle my High elves to build a atmospheric small company of well armed soldiers with various striking and dynamic poses.

Here is a few mockup models for testing the idea. They will be armed with a spear, bow, sword and a shield with the arrow quiver on the back.
ImageImage

First i had to repose the front leg of the white lions set to get a better stance. pinned it with some thin wire:

Used the old spearmen torso and had to lift it up about 2mm with greenstuff to make the proportions look ok. Decorated the shield to my liking:

Stuck on the head from the Lothern seaguard models and made a sash around the torso and stuck the sword to the waist and the quiver to the back:

Front view:

Had to shorten the spear from the chariot set and change out the tip:

Added a bow to the back and the spear:

Made a quick shoulder pauldron to hide a major gap:

The pose is good:

Added the shield:

Getting a bit busy but it works:

Made a base:

Pimed with Zandri Dust and Skeleton Bone zenithal highlights:

That's the first soldier done. Going to make around 15 troops in different poses and armed with different combinations of the same weapons.
I have no idea how dead this Forum is but let me know if you want to see more how this project comes along.
Last edited by Miro on Sun May 05, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Hobby or die.'
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Elven skirmish force (2019)

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

We're not dead, only resting. So I'd very much enjoy seeing the continued progress on this project.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

We're not dead, only resting. So I'd very much enjoy seeing the continued progress on this project.
Olthannon

#4 Post by Olthannon »

These are nice little conversions, hope to see more!
One foot in the hobby
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#5 Post by Galharen »

I'd love to see it painted!
Miro

#6 Post by Miro »

Alright, good. Here is some more progress.
I'm going to build them all before painting so that i get a uniform color scheme.

To get various poses i picked out all kinds of different legs and stared basing them with the new slightly bigger round bases:

With the Archers kneeling legs i get good bow shooters:

Pinned and reposed five White Lion legs to get rid of that awful forward lunge:

The Shadow Warrior legs work fine as they are:

The Skycutter crew bodies are perfect for the look i'm going for, even if i don't really like the fishtail on the sash i'm not going to do anything about them:

I really like the feel of having a "heavy weapons team" to a fantasy infantry unit and the small bolt thrower from the Skycutter set got me inspired.
The shooter and kneeling beside him will be the loader/bolt-feeder who will have all the ammo for the balista:

That's in total 16 soldiers right now and the various poses will make a pretty dynamic little unit:

Next some more work on the bases to get them more lively and then i will start working on finishing the models one by one.
Was also thinking about converting a couple of those big bolt throwers to give the group some serious long range fire support capability. but i'll see about that.

More soon.
'Hobby or die.'
Olthannon

#7 Post by Olthannon »

I agree with the HWT style idea, I always had similar with my old Imperial Guard as they were drop troopers. Not many tanks but plenty heavy infantry. I imagine in a fantasy setting, particularly High Elves, a ships company would operate in a similar fashion. Works especially well with that cut down bolt thrower.

Really like all customising, it's my favourite part of the hobby. Can't wait to see them painted up!
One foot in the hobby
Aerendar Valandil

#8 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

Nice, what doyou plan to play with them? I can advise Songe of Blades and Heroes.
Miro

#9 Post by Miro »

Olthannon just like many High Elf players i've always wanted to build a ship and even made a good effort. But just like with most ship projects my enthusiasm quickly died out when i realized how massive of an undertaking that actually is to get a ship that even looks remotely acceptable.

This beginning of a ship has been tossed ages ago but this is what i built:

The shape is there but the details are poor. The company i'm building now would for sure be a maritime expeditionary unit raiding the shores and rivers much like Vikings but with more militaristic elven discipline and better equipment. But for now their ship will be in the background waiting by the shore somewhere.

Aerendar Valandil right now i'm really just enjoying getting back in to the hobby after a break of several years. Keeping focus on making steady progress. Finishing these 16-20 models will be a solid achievement for me in this hobby. Most of my hobby related projects have died out when planning too far ahead and quickly being drowned by the workload. I think most of us can relate to that.

But when these are ready i will for sure throw down with them on the battlefield. What the game type will be i do not know yet and will have to look in to that.
Wyrdwars is always fun and GW:s upcoming Warcry could possibly have some good mechanics but we'll see.

Finished the second warrior last night and here's how he came together:

Started with the White Lion legs and pinned it in the middle:

A strip of greenstuff:

Helmet with a feather and sword and the torso was added:

Cleaned up the excess greensuff:

Added a belt with some decorations:

The shield was made the same way as the last one:

Spear arm components:

Spear arm finished:

Put on the spear and bow to the back and made some simple shoulder armor:

I really like this bow/quiver combo bit:

Turned out ok. I wont put so much junk on the next ones but i got a little carried away with this one:

Primed:

Ready:

Let me hear what you think. The pictures are taken really quickly as a go along so some of them are pretty bad.
Started this thread to help keep me committed and it would be really cool if you guys would keep me on track by suggesting conversion ideas and inspiration sources or just sharing your thoughts on the project.

Thanks, more soon.
'Hobby or die.'
Nusphigor

#10 Post by Nusphigor »

really beautiful work mate.
Lots of cool details!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#11 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

How many more before it's time for paint? I very much like what you've done so far, but when they get paint they will really shine.
Olthannon

#12 Post by Olthannon »

It's a nice looking ship to start with, I made one years ago for mine but it's long gone now. Might make another to go with my repainted army.

What colour scheme are you going for with your skirmishers?
One foot in the hobby
Miro

#13 Post by Miro »

Nusphigor wrote:really beautiful work mate.
Lots of cool details!
Thank you Nusphigor, appreciate it.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:How many more before it's time for paint? I very much like what you've done so far, but when they get paint they will really shine.
I really would like to do around 6-7 soldiers before i start painting. The reason is that i blend and mix most colors when i paint and can never remember how i achieved a certain look or color. But the more you pressure me to start painting the sooner that day will come, i guess. :lol:
Olthannon wrote:What colour scheme are you going for with your skirmishers?
Olthannon I think I'm going for a muted beige and off white color scheme contrasted with saturated gold and peach/salmon colors.

Did not have time for much this week, but made time for some and finished the 'Heavy Weapons Team' and i really like the feel of these two.
Here's what i did:

Started with the kneeling archer legs and sculpted some terrible scale mail:

Added a big quiver from the Skycutter and a sword to the waist:

Some rope for detail:

Head and Bolt Thrower crew torso and arms:

Side view:

Assembly of the spear and the shield for the back:

The shooter came together easily and i just added some details to the shield and a Silver Helm crest (will paint it to look like it's made out of wood) for some extra protection:

Ready for sanding and priming:

Again Zandri Dust with Skeleton Bone zenithals:

The chain detail is a little over the top but at least it will show on the tabletop:

All soldiers in this group are first and foremost Spearmen:

These two are specialized with the use of a heavy crossbow:

Really pleased with these two. I'm the worst at sculpting so i didn't spend any amount of time or effort on the scale mail of the support soldier to make it look nice when most of it's going to be covered by his gear anyways and when painted the focus of the viewer will be on other parts of the miniature.

I think sometimes mediocre is just perfect enough.

Thanks, more soon!
'Hobby or die.'
Miro

#14 Post by Miro »

I had a little paint sessh this past weekend and finished the first skirmisher.

For me tabletop quality means pretty much hard contrasts so that they are visible from afar (when the model is on the table) and not spending too much time and effort on details that you wont see.

First time painting after several years and i'm happy with the end result.

I went a little too heavy with the brown shade and my brushwork needs improvement but overall i'm happy with the color choices.

The whites are just layered. In the future i want to try to wet blend the white parts to get smoother gradients.

Now he's ready to get in some serious trouble.

Also rebased and painted a leader for my warband. The enchanted sword turned out pretty cool.

Let me know what you think about these two!
'Hobby or die.'
Olthannon

Re: Elven skirmish force (First models painted)

#15 Post by Olthannon »

Fantastic work man! Really liking that muted colour scheme, all the colours look great together. Looking forward to seeing some more!
One foot in the hobby
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I like what you've got going here. White is a giant pain in the neck to paint.
Sporensus

#17 Post by Sporensus »

Lovely stuff. Such a handsome daemonic anomaly, too!
Pleasurable pastime or fatality.
Miro

#18 Post by Miro »

Thanks guys for the compliments!
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I like what you've got going here. White is a giant pain in the neck to paint.
Shannar, Sealord i find that the Zandri dust and the Bone colored priming helps a lot with the white but yes it would still be really hard to get a clean white even with this method. I don't mind the somewhat harsh beige shadows on these guys.
Sporensus wrote:Lovely stuff. Such a handsome daemonic anomaly, too!
Sporensus you mean this disfigured, wretched daemonic abomination? I'm afraid he's going to get some finely made Elven spears shoved right down his foul, screaming throat some day real soon.
ImageImage
Olthannon wrote:Fantastic work man! Really liking that muted colour scheme, all the colours look great together. Looking forward to seeing some more!
Olthannon wait no longer, here's some more things i've been working on lately:

First of all i made two more soldiers inspired by this image:

I really like the stoic and idle pose he has and here's my attempt to recreate the same feeling:
ImageImage

These were simple kit-bashes and came together quite fast:
ImageImage

Added a rope from some wire to kinda hide the spear joints:

And some details to the shield:

His face is maybe a little too intense for the idle pose:

If the helmet is not on the head is has to be carried somewhere:

These two turned out great and i think the poses work really well:

Next i decided that this High Elf force needs some small Waystones and here is the quick rundown of how i made them:

Started with some milliput that i let cure completely overnight:
Image'

Some sanding:

Markings:

Cut to shape and more sanding:

Test fitting:

Scraped some details and cracks to the stone with various sharp objects:

Final assembly:

Primed and ready for some paint:

Now i need a Mage to channel the magical energies from the Waystones but that will come in the next update.
That's all for now, more soon.
'Hobby or die.'
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Elven skirmish force (Waystones)

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

Love the waystones. They add a lot of uniqueness and flavour to the army I think. And they're great either as random terrain pieces on the battlefield or as objective markers and the like.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Nusphigor

Re: Elven skirmish force (Waystones)

#20 Post by Nusphigor »

i'm loving these waystones!
thanks for sharing how to build them!