Bloodbeard's Corrugated Scrap Metal Wall Tutorial

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Karak Norn Clansman

Bloodbeard's Corrugated Scrap Metal Wall Tutorial

#1 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

My friend Bloodbeard runs a blog with a cornucopia of hobby goings-on in it, not least scratchbuilding of terrain! Here he has kindly wished to share his latest tutorial with us, for all your ramshackle need!

Be sure to check out more of the stuff on his blog if you like what you see here:

Tutorial: Corrugated Scrap Metal Walls
I found the tool for this build a long time ago. Don't know how I ended up with it, but it was during long hours of searching china shops for useful stuff. And I found a 'toothpaste squezer' - perfect tool! Greenstuff World have since released the exact same item under the name 'corrugator' - but it's a toothpaste squezer and it's half price like that.

Best tool you'll ever find for $3 including shipping.

GSW is an awesome shop however, so it's always a good cause to throw money at them.

Made these for use in all my sci-fi and post-apoc games. To be walls for Alexandria and Woodbury in The Walking Dead or in Last Days. As part of the Wasteland in Scrappers and This is not a Test. And they are 3'' compatible with Deadzone. Also fitting for Ash Wastes in Necromunda or Killteam (man there's a lot of cool games).

As always go to the bottom for showcase photos.

Materials
- Thick card or mdf for bases
- Cardboard, plastic card, foil trays for 'metal plates'
- Superglue (lots!)
- Hot glue gun
- Sprue (lots!)
- Popsickle sticks

Step 1: Bases
Cut out a bunch of bases for the walls. I've made sure mine are 3'' compatible for a Deadzone grid. Made then 1,5'' wide, so they will stay in place and not fall over. I've used thick 3mm cardboard for the bases.

Step 2: Sprue and hot glue
Cut a lot of poles from old sprue. Shave off small bits, to make the poles a bit uneven. Also try and find some with an angled piece, saving glue connections later.

Using the hotglue gun (and I find it's much better than super glue) attack them to the bases. A lot of them, more than you think.

Step 3: Walkways
Prepare the walkways, glue some sprue to the angled pieces.

Step 3: Corrugated plates
Take out you toothpaste squeezer and make a bunch of metal. I used different thickness of cardboard and aluminium bbq trays. Thought was to get different textures on the finished walls, but it doesn't show well. Cardboard is easier to glue however.

Step 4: Glue... All over your fingers
I use super cheap super glue from china. I buy 100 tubes at a time, it's good for projects like this. Start from the bottom and just mix match plates and work towards the top. Make sure to have the lines go both horizontal and vertical.

Step 5: Strengthen it
I took some sprue and added to the front and the back of the walls. It adds some more strenth to the build and is a good soak point for wash and quickshade. I've also build a couple of ladders from sprue.

Step 6: The gate
Originally I planned to make a magnetized gate. So I glued on two old rusty nails. But after doing this I found that the gate for my prison does the job well enough.

Painting and Basing
I base coated the walls with a cheap grey rattle can and the 'floors' with a cheap brown. . Then I picked out a few plates on each section in a different color (using the same three colors on all). Another bunch on each section and all sprue was painted with a mix of 'rust'. Using a wet palette I add various metal colors, giving lots of different nuances.

The dirt was painted with cheap brown acryllics and drybrushed with grey.

The walls were all given a heavy layer of army Painter Strong Tone. Mixed some different grass types for the bases and ended with a couple layers of mat varnish.

Showcase
And here's the nice finished result.

The original idea for these walls were to be used in The Walking Dead as part of Woodbury and Alexandria. With my farm and prison, I'm set for the first 180 comics or so.

The builds were done in the 3" system to fit neatly into games of Deadzone and my other industrial terrain.

And here's the walls set up on a 3'x4' mat. Taking a lot of space, making a Wasteland map for This is not a Test or Scrappers.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Bloodbeard's Corrugated Scrap Metal Wall Tutorial

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I've been intending to do something much like this much the same way for gorkamorka. But we don't play much gorkamorka.

I always appreciate people who take the time to document a process for others to benifit from it though.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I always appreciate people who take the time to document a process for others to benifit from it though.
Indeed. It's always nice to read about other peoples projects.

And thank you for sharing it. I don't get around the interwebz enough to find many of these posts.

I don't think I have much use for corrugated scrap metal in most of my projects (since I play medieval setting fantasy games...). But it's still great to read about the ingenuity of people. And some bits perhaps can be applied to other projects as well. The sprue frame can for instance be used as the basis for a make-shift wooden fort as well I think. Which is useful for either WH fantasy or Mordheim. I would just need to find something to use as planks / logs. And I think popsickle sticks are a bit too big to scale really well. Something to have a think about. Perhaps I'll raid a couple of nearby hobby stores. I have 3 near where I work. One of them is bound to have something useful in this regard. :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I highly recommend wooden coffee stirrers
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I highly recommend wooden coffee stirrers
That's brilliant. Indeed the size I was thinking of. Thank you very much for the idea.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:I highly recommend wooden coffee stirrers
That's brilliant. Indeed the size I was thinking of. Thank you very much for the idea.
They are very popular among Mordheim builders. At lot of them talk about raiding the supply of the local fast food place. But that's silly, you can buy boxes of them for cheap.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:They are very popular among Mordheim builders. At lot of them talk about raiding the supply of the local fast food place. But that's silly, you can buy boxes of them for cheap.
They indeed sound like one of those items where you can go through a lot of trouble to a couple at a time from local fast food places or you can go the easy route and for a couple of euros get a box with more of the things then you can hope to use in a multitude of projects. :)
Karak Norn Clansman wrote:Cheers, passing praise on to Bloodbeard.
Please do :)

You're a gem for the community, KNC. Sharing so much information across many forums and blogs. Thanks for all the effort :)

Check out my plog

Karak Norn Clansman

#9 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Thank you kindly, Prince of Spires! Some time after the infamous White Dwarrf #316 "Giant" issue (when quality plummeted) I began looking for other sources of hobby goodness, and found out Warseer. I might never get published in White Dwarf, but I'll damn well make use of forums as a platform and treasure hoard to spread useful stuff around. Cheers! :)

His Scrap Metal Tower Tutorial is a follow-up on this piece. Same techniques, plus camo netting from bandages: Worth a look. :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

The scrap metal tower tutorial is definitely worth a look :) It's mainly an extension of the same principle. So perhaps there isn't that much new information in there. But I really like seeing how the whole project is evolving and it's growing from a small enclosure / palisade into a large and very thematic base.

It makes me want to start my own projects :) Which is always what inspirational sources do to you.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Karak Norn Clansman wrote:Thank you kindly, Prince of Spires! Some time after the infamous White Dwarrf #316 "Giant" issue
Strangely, I for one did not rush out and buy a giant after reading it.

:mrgreen:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Karak Norn Clansman wrote:Thank you kindly, Prince of Spires! Some time after the infamous White Dwarrf #316 "Giant" issue
Strangely, I for one did not rush out and buy a giant after reading it.

:mrgreen:
Why not?

Also, why is the "Giant" issue (in)famous? (Wasn't active in the hobby yet back then)

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Why not?
Not my cup of tea Rod.
Prince of Spires wrote:Also, why is the "Giant" issue (in)famous?
The entire issue was nothing but a hard sell to get players to buy the damn giant.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#14 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm a bit in between on the giant. Somedays I can see the possibilities and options in the kit and I can definitely imagine it was a revolutionary kit when it first came out. But other days I just think meh.
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:Also, why is the "Giant" issue (in)famous?
The entire issue was nothing but a hard sell to get players to buy the damn giant.
So a blue print for all White Dwarves that came after then ;)

I could in most cases overlook the hug sales push of the white dwarves of the end days of Warhammer. They had some nice pictures and information on new models in there. And it provided a decent hobby fix in low actual hobby months. Though I stopped buying them when they changed to the new format with the weekly editions and the monthly picture book. At that point they simply abandoned the attempts to have any meaningful content in there and there was no value in them for me, unless they featured an army you're interested in.

What's the quality like today? Does anyone know?

Rod

Check out my plog