Scalemail Sculpting Tutorials

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Scalemail Sculpting Tutorials

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Very nice set of tutorials, thanks a lot!

I decided to post my questions here, as this one is the most interesting for me.

1. Would it be possible to get the same set of pictures for scale armor like in the case of other examples?
2. Once the sculpt is done, how do you remove it from the sculpting base without destroying it?

Thanks in advance!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Karak Norn Clansman

Re: Scalemail Sculpting Tutorials

#3 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Very nice set of tutorials, thanks a lot!

I decided to post my questions here, as this one is the most interesting for me.

1. Would it be possible to get the same set of pictures for scale armor like in the case of other examples?
2. Once the sculpt is done, how do you remove it from the sculpting base without destroying it?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you!

1. Certainly! These are my oldest tutorials, from before I started taking pictures of the steps. They can be redone in pictures and I'll do so next week; please PM me if it hasn't been done in two weeks' time.

2. As for the second question, I must apologize. I'm so used to sculpting, that it never occurred to me that this was a legitimate interpretation of the tutorial post. But of course it is, you're not the only one to get this impression. I should've written out that I never remove sculpted things and fasten them to other things; just sculpt the scalemail directly on a model (although it might actually be possible to do something like removing and fastening scalemail to a mini... if it has fully dried.)

For the tutorials, it was kind of a school example sculpt. Fastened to a flat base not a model to avoid curvature cutting line of sight or surrounding details that draw away the eyes' attention. The following showcase picture was just to display how the sculpted area could look on a mini.

I'll have to update the tutorial on various forums... But not in a week's time. Will be away.

As for the diamond scalemail, this is an example of how it can look when sculpted:

...and this monstrosity with parts sculpted upon request by a friend showcase the hexagonal variety.