Best way to remove old paint?

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SeanG

Best way to remove old paint?

#1 Post by SeanG »

Hi all! So in my younger years I decided to paint some of my miniatures, but looking back on them now ten years later I can see that I made many mistakes. I was wondering what the best way is to remove the old paint without damaging the model, or if that's even possible. Thanks!
RE.Lee

Re: Best way to remove old paint?

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Dot 4 break fluid.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Botjer

#3 Post by Botjer »

de naturated alcohol is great when stripping plastics
grantmepower

#4 Post by grantmepower »

Simple Green works very well. Let a mini soak in it for a day (less if you get the concentrated stuff and you're stripping plastic), then scrub with a toothbrush.
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Simple green (nicer to work with but a bit pricey) or Brake Fluid (awful to work with, but dirt cheap) for plastics. I prefer acetone for metals. If it''s fine cast then best I can tell is that you are out of luck.
Caladaidoomblade

#6 Post by Caladaidoomblade »

Since he painted the models 10 years ago, it's probably not finecast :wink: :wink:

Plastic: break fluid as described above.
Metals: Thinner (not turpentine) Don't use in your living room cause the stuff is horrible. Just let your models soak in it for a few days and get a toothbrush. Don't forget to remove any plastic bits before dropping them in cause the thinner will turn plastic to goo.
[quote="Tyrion Reaper in a topic about murder"]I would therefore be very careful of ever annoying Caladaidoomblade as he has thought this out and you might go missing without a trace
[/quote]
[b]Hell is other people
- Sartre[/b]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

What the other guys said. The main thing is that there is a difference between plastic and metal models. Plastic is a lot less durable and as such suffers a lot more from more aggressive methodes. With simple green for instance, you can leave models in there for a long time and not notice any adverse effects (it's basically a form of green soap if I understand correctly). Break fluid, you don't want to have a plastic model in there for longer then you have to. Metal models care a lot less about this.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

We are getting close enough to 10 years on with finecast (it's been 6 I think) where if people are going by memory or just guesstimating it could be finecast.

Also, I always type that hoping someone will correct me. Seriously, if anyone knows anything that works with finecast please tell me.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#9 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:What the other guys said. The main thing is that there is a difference between plastic and metal models. Plastic is a lot less durable and as such suffers a lot more from more aggressive methodes. With simple green for instance, you can leave models in there for a long time and not notice any adverse effects (it's basically a form of green soap if I understand correctly). Break fluid, you don't want to have a plastic model in there for longer then you have to. Metal models care a lot less about this.

Rod
Well, that and some of the chemicals "melt" the plastic. Acetone and thinner will do this quickly. But, I've actually left plastic models in break fluid for 3+ months (I forgot about them). Other than some discoloration there were no ill effects. I probably still wouldn't recommend anything over a week though.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#10 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: Also, I always type that hoping someone will correct me. Seriously, if anyone knows anything that works with finecast please tell me.
Rumour online has it that GW has changed the formula for finecast as few times. Which is why stuff that works for one person turns models into goo for the next one.

Simple green seems to be the most common solution, though the advise is not to leave the model in it for too long. Some people had success with Detol, break fluid or oven cleaner. But for others that resulted in wobbly figures (mainly extremities of models).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#11 Post by RE.Lee »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: I probably still wouldn't recommend anything over a week though.
Some of my elf horses have been having a bath for 2 years now - should I be concerned? :lol:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#12 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

RE.Lee wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote: I probably still wouldn't recommend anything over a week though.
Some of my elf horses have been having a bath for 2 years now - should I be concerned? :lol:
Honestly, I think you are fine. I just don't want people getting annoyed with me, and a week should cover what you need.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#13 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote: Also, I always type that hoping someone will correct me. Seriously, if anyone knows anything that works with finecast please tell me.
Rumour online has it that GW has changed the formula for finecast as few times. Which is why stuff that works for one person turns models into goo for the next one.

Simple green seems to be the most common solution, though the advise is not to leave the model in it for too long. Some people had success with Detol, break fluid or oven cleaner. But for others that resulted in wobbly figures (mainly extremities of models).

Rod
A few years ago I tried a bit of sprue in WATER and it swelled up a little. Break fluid made it expand like a sponge.