Magnets

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Magnets

#1 Post by Ferny »

I've wilfully resisted the urge to quote Jesse Pinkman in my title thread :D ;)

Anyway, I'm now back on my HBE after a brief foray into the world of beast herds, and I'm taking them to the Team Tournament in Cardiff next month. If i can get it ordered and done in time, I'd like to magnetise the models I'm taking, as the beast army I bought fully magnetised has shown me the light.

Any advice on:
[*]size of magnet (i.e. depth - so that when green stuffed on to the base it doesn't stand proud)
[*]strength of magnet (so that it sticks firmly to the magnetic base, but does not rip the model apart when removing it)
[*]where to acquire them from quickly, cheaply and reliably (I'm UK based)?

Many thanks
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Magnets

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've found these topics on magnets:
http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69410
http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0&p=901862

They contain a fair bit of information to get you started. 2mm seems like the go-to size. Little ball of greenstuff, drop of superglue, magnet. Although the strip magnet option seems popular as well.

I don't think you need any that are too strong. But then I'm no expert on magnets and strength. I think Shannar or Aicanor might be able to help a bit further.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

I use the 2mm ones. I've actually attached them with only glue, but they break off easily, so I'm going for green stuff now. Magnetic tape seems far too weak for me.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Rogue Trader

#4 Post by Rogue Trader »

Chracian

#5 Post by Chracian »

As said before, 2mm neodymium magnets work a treat. I've got mine off eBay and they've been fine. It's worth using a small drill to locate it first, if the model allows, so it doesn't stand proud. Super glue and greenstuff are your friend!
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#6 Post by Ferny »

Thanks guys!

I have ordered 200 from element games...they're reasonably priced and while there's possibly slightly cheaper out there, I trust them as traders and actually quite like to support them on such a negligible cost difference. I reckoned on only needing c.100 for what I'm taking with me to the tournament, so this will give me enough to also base some of my other models too!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

what height do you use? 2X1?

Nothing wrong with buying at a supplier you know and like. And price wise I can imagine just getting enough. They're pretty cheap, and you don't want to be at 90% of a project and find out you need 3 more...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.