P&M Showcase: Bolt Throwers

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

P&M Showcase: Bolt Throwers

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome to the next Painting and Modelling Showcase of 2016. The category for this showcase is Bolt Throwers.

The goal of the painting showcases is to let people show off their painted units, beasts and characters. New, old, ancient, alternative, newly painted or vintage - everything goes. And it's not just newly painted models, but all models painted over the years are welcome.

So, share some pictures with us of your models and perhaps a pointer or two how you achieved the painting results.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: P&M Showcase: Bolt Throwers

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

The engine is the Avenger Bolt Thrower from the Lord of the Rings range. It's small but then, so are my models. There's a story behind the pointing guy. Around 1987 GW released a repeating bolt shooter with four Dark Elf crew. A couple of years later they sculpted (or rather Jes Goodwin did) three Sea Elf crew, one of which is this dude. I had the other two but lost them. His mate originally bore a spear but I converted him to carry the spare magazine. This was nicked from the Avenger's original crew.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

Here is mine, the default current plastic one. Painted a long time ago.

I still have another plastic one, a 6th ed metal one and I have some plans for the skycutter boltthrower. But those are still to be finalised / still in box. I'll post them up as I finish them.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mireadur

#4 Post by Mireadur »

The 2nd is a flaming machine, can be used as RBT i guess!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Here is mine,
Nice, natural colours Rod.
Prince of Spires wrote:6th ed metal one
Be interested to see this. Main difference I remember is I preferred the metal crew.
Mireadur wrote:The 2nd is a flaming machine, can be used as RBT i guess!
Don't Mantic make something along those lines? Interesting to see the 4th edition machine too. Your trademark light-filled blue Mireadur!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:Here is mine,
Nice, natural colours Rod.
Prince of Spires wrote:6th ed metal one
Be interested to see this. Main difference I remember is I preferred the metal crew.

I'll see if I can get a picture taken (though don't expect any paint any time soon...). The model itself is indeed more or less the same as the plastic one. The crew is a nice metal one indeed. In line with the older metals. I found the model for a bargain at a small local modelling shop who had a tiny WH corner. Great fun browsing through all the old junk they had lying around.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I found the model for a bargain at a small local modelling shop who had a tiny WH corner. Great fun browsing through all the old junk they had lying around.
Funny because I found one under similar circumstances about 5 years ago! I resisted though.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:I found the model for a bargain at a small local modelling shop who had a tiny WH corner. Great fun browsing through all the old junk they had lying around.
Funny because I found one under similar circumstances about 5 years ago! I resisted though.
It's why I try to stay away from ebay and the like. I find it hard to resist buying an out of production model at a bargain price. I keep getting questions from the missus why I need still more models...

Though, I managed to resist most impulses the past year or so, which is slowly resulting in a decreasing backlog of models still to do. At least I now have more models done then to do.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:It's why I try to stay away from ebay and the like. I find it hard to resist buying an out of production model at a bargain price. I keep getting questions from the missus why I need still more models...
Dr Samuel Johnson wrote:When a man is tired of buying yet more toy soldiers, he is tired of life.
:)
Myth

#10 Post by Myth »

This are metal models:

A plastic ones: