Secret Santa 2016

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Secret Santa 2016

#1 Post by Aicanor »

A little late this year, but here anyway!

Sign up will be open to 17th September, on Sunday 18th you'll be assigned a Secret Santa project of your very own.

For new faces amongst the Asur - this is quite simple – you just paint (or even paint and convert) a model to your best ability and in time send it to another member of Ulthuan.net assigned to you. Remember is not a painting competition, everyone can participate. That is the Christmas spirit after all, isn't it?

If you want to be a Secret Santa this year, sign below. Let us know what army (armies) you collect, colour schemes, what you would particularly like to receive. Of course, Santa may still think there is something else you would like/deserve more.
Edit: If you do not wish to post worldwide, tell us where you are able to post.

Sooo... sign up and have fun!

Based on past years' experience there are guidelines every participant agrees to follow by signing up.

THE GUIDELINES

1. Taking pics of the work in progress AND finished project.

Make sure you have the pics backed-up properly (hard disc crashes and memory card failures happen...). Unfortunately, sometimes the original gets lost in the Warp and the pics are all we have. And of course everyone will want to see the WIP pics!

2. Making regular updates on the project status.
Please check in at least once a month to let everyone know you're still around.

3. Letting us know if you have a problem finishing the project in time.
In case someone is not able to finish the project in time/at all, the sooner we learn of it, the better. - This will not exclude anyone from any future projects – we know things happen outside Ulthuan.

3. Keeping the receipt from your post office.
The post companies worldwide probably give you some kind of confirmation they received a package from you so in case the model doesn't arrive to its destination, you can send a scan of it to the person in charge of the SS project (by PM of course).

Note:
Earliest date for sending the project off will be set at the end of November (so we can wait for the giftee to confirm his continued presence and delay the sending in the case we do not have the confirmation from him/her to further minimize MIA problems.

Of course, even with all these precautions something can go wrong, so everyone entering the project should keep it in mind. But hopefully this will, as a whole, be even more enjoyable than last years' Santas. If any of you have a suggestion what more to do to make the project more enjoyable for everyone, please include it in your sign-up post. It will be heard.

From 2014 Secret Santa we still have Il Maestro to deliver (I have seen some WIPs from him, and he might Ger it done one day. I just removed myself from the black list and that leaves just Elessehta there to find his model and send it.

The Blacklist (2011-2013):

preventer
commander
AiEthimar
pk-ng
Brian Mage
lordoftheshadows
Caradryal
Gizmos
Il Maestro
Elessehta of Yvresse (-->Do not lose any more models!!!)

2016 list of participants
Shannar, Sealord
azur
Duranthalis
Gandalf_82
Aicanor
Prince of Spires
Lord Drakon
Andrew_uk
direweasel
SpellArcher
Domine Nox
Malossar
Imrik Gwindorian
The glorious past of Secret Santa on Ulthuan:

Secret Santa 2015
Secret Santa 2014
Secret Santa 2013
Secret Santa 2012
Secret Santa 2011
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Secret Santa 2016 - SIGN UP

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm in again, and more than happy to post world wide.

As to what I'd like, unless you have some really really old (80s) high elves that you want to paint and give away I really don't need anything high elf, though a converted female character would likely see some gameplay.

I am still looking for things I can use for mordheim though. A Dark Elf would be great. A savage orc would be cool too. Other than that anything that seems cool can probably find a spot in the game somewhere.
azur

#3 Post by azur »

I'll attend this year aswell.

i will try to (finally) finalize my HE army the next months based on a lóren theme, so lots of green. i will also try to update my blog with pictures during this journey. But really, im up for anything Santa!!!! :mrgreen:
Duranthalis

#4 Post by Duranthalis »

I think I have the time to commit to this year.

I'm currently collecting wood elves (winter theme)
characters
waystalkers
treekin
cavalry
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Gandalf_82

#5 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Been looking forward to this, please count me in!

Appreciate I havent been on the forums much lately but in the middle of a house extension and pc time is very limited to say the least. I will say now that i'll do my best to get a gift out in time for Christmas but given i've half a house to decorate (quite literally) this will be tough, but i'd sooner send something i'm happy with out rather than just a shoddy paint job. I will do my best though and 100% I will deliver a present I hope the recipient is happy with :)

In terms of what I receive I am open to anything and just grateful to receive a gift. Still play my High Elves (Square bases please, none of this AoS tripe!) Dont really need a painted mage but other than that any character/model(s) would get table time given my limited painted collection. (Primary colours dark blue - old WH Regal Blue/Kantor Blue now and white if you want to match my existing army)

I also play Flames of War so any German armour or Fallschirmjaeger models would get use.

Have recently started a SAGA Warband so Anglo Danes also an option.

Finally I've started a British Napoleonic 28mm army but thats more a few years project, so literally anything British 28mm = good :)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#6 Post by Aicanor »

I just removed myself from the blacklist (the 2015 package is finally on its way). After last year's experience I'll choose a bit less ambicious project this time. Yes, I'm in.
I collect High Elves (classic blue and white with any other colour you can think of) and Dark Elves (everything goes). But I'll be happy with anything fun to make.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'm in again as well this year. I had lots of fun with last years and am looking forward to this edition. I collect high elves, in a red and white theme, with some spot color for specific units. Anything is welcome. Mounted characters (dare I say monster... ;) ), I'm also a bit low still on mages and unit fillers. See my plog (link is in my signature) for what's in my army.

I also still have a secret wish to start a goblin army some day (though space, kid and wife are in the way...) so something spectacular there if you're out of HE ideas is possible too.

As a side note, I think this will be the fifth edition of secret Santa here. Which means we can now officially call it a tradition... ;) :D

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Lord Drakon

#8 Post by Lord Drakon »

If I am still on time I would like to try, I am a Druchii aka Dark Elf. I have a red/dark metal and greek/roman theme for my army. Anything is welcome

Looking foward to this
Andrew_uk

#9 Post by Andrew_uk »

Sure - I'll join again. Last year was awesome painting for Galharen :)

There are some very active posters in your black list. You wouldn't have thought people would risk good reputations like that.

I collect High Elves (Caledor Theme) and Warriors of Chaos (Nurgle Theme), which also include a few ogres... I'm happy to receive anything.

If you dislike me saying that "I'd like anything" sentence then I can suggest the following; if you want to do a High Elf Character for me then I'd suggest a mounted prince with full Dragon Armour kit... If you want to do something WoC for me then some Mournfang would be awesome but I know that's a huge ask!!... Alternatively some unit fillers would be pretty cool for either army :)
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Aicanor
Rainbows

#10 Post by Aicanor »

Welcome everyone! There is still some time to join, I'll have time to make the assignments Sunday evening (CET). Until then I'll leave the sign up open.

We have one more Druchii Santa's helper, direweasel:
direweasel wrote:My only remaining WH army is Dark Elves, my color scheme is dark red, black, and dark purple (see PLOG http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360), and I'll take whatever I'm sent. I honestly have plenty of everything, that's not why I'd do this.

I did the one we had last year at Druchii and had fun, so I'm up for it again.
Waiting for him to make an account here.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

I'm in.

Something I could use in my Daemon army please, if possible, see sig below for existing strangeness!

:)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#12 Post by Aicanor »

SpellArcher wrote:I'm in.
=D>

Any more brave, generous, noble souls here? :wink:

Andrew_uk wrote:There are some very active posters in your black list. You wouldn't have thought people would risk good reputations like that.
Well, sometimes life gets the better of you. I was there until September as well. Never thought it could happen to me... :oops:
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#13 Post by Domine Nox »

I'll do it again. I only just remembered that it's about that time of year.

In the Warhammer realm (Actually KoW, but shh) I'm focusing back on my High Elves (Avelorn Theme, some limited pictures in the blog in my signature). Though if there was a super generous soul that new Allarielle is pretty sweet. If you would rather do something else my other armies are Warriors of Chaos (I have Khorne[in painting log], Tzeentch, and Nurgle themed forces, no Slaanesh please). I also have wood elves (Mordryn scheme, also limited pics in the painting log in sig).

Looking forward to another great Secret Santa year, and I will try to put more pics up this week. (I say that every time, but I mean it this time, cause I'm on a painting kick).
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#14 Post by Aicanor »

All is done and PM's sent. As you can see below, I did the draw in a time proved, traditional way. If you don't like how it went, take your complaints right to Loec. :wink:

Malossar
Something Cool

#15 Post by Malossar »

Oh no I missed it by a day! If there's an odd number I'll do it again.

My wishlist: I play HighBorn Elves in the t9A and am starting Saurian Ancients in a Fall map based campaign.
Last edited by Malossar on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#16 Post by Domine Nox »

Prince of Spires wrote:As a side note, I think this will be the fifth edition of secret Santa here. Which means we can now officially call it a tradition...
Really? Wow, that's so cool. I hadn't realized it wasn't an older tradition. So I only missed the first SS? I feel like I'm obligated to make sure I am part of every single one at this rate.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#17 Post by Aicanor »

Malossar wrote:Oh no I missed it by a day! If there's an odd number I'll do it again.
I guess Loec
won't mind too much if we cheat a little. Right? :D
Domine Nox wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:As a side note, I think this will be the fifth edition of secret Santa here. Which means we can now officially call it a tradition...
Really? Wow, that's so cool. I hadn't realized it wasn't an older tradition. So I only missed the first SS? I feel like I'm obligated to make sure I am part of every single one at this rate.
It is actually sixth. I added the links in the first post here yesterday for inspiration. You can check them out. :D
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#18 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Aicanor wrote:
Malossar wrote:Oh no I missed it by a day! If there's an odd number I'll do it again.
I guess Loec
won't mind too much if we cheat a little. Right? :D
I won't even start thinking about it until I get back to the US in 4 days (and it's probably safe to add a few more for readjustment, I've been gone almost 90 days). So if I can help with the cheating feel free. Though I've already done one for Malossar, so a more indirect change would be better (not to mention the "secret" bit).
direweasel

#19 Post by direweasel »

Hello all. Newb to Ulthuan due to this Secret Santa initiative, joined based on invite posted to Druchii.net. That's right, I've infiltrated Ulthuan and will begin my conquest presently!! :twisted:

Aw man, that's right, we're supposed to get along now. Old habits die hard, ya know? :)

I have already entered, and am known to the admins as such, and already have my recipient, but I wanted to post here so that people would know who I was, and to answer the all-important questions necessary to participate in the exchange. Specifically:
If you want to be a Secret Santa this year, sign below. Let us know what army (armies) you collect, colour schemes, what you would particularly like to receive. Of course, Santa may still think there is something else you would like/deserve more.
Edit: If you do not wish to post worldwide, tell us where you are able to post.
I used to do Dark Elves and Lizardmen, but sold off my Lizards a few editions ago. So now all I have are Dark elves. But I have tons of them. Last time I did an actual inventory, it totalled about 13,500 points using 8th ed rules. So I have pretty much everything, I don't need new minis. That's not why I want to do this. So if you're the person who is sending me something, surprise me!

If you don't want to do dark elves, I do also play Blood Bowl and would accept a BB mini as well. If you are doing that, I would like Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Skaven, "generic" Undead, Amazons, Chaos, or Orcs/Goblins. Sideline figures (cheerleaders, referees, etc) are also fine.

For colors, I will link to my Druchii.net PLOG here. It will show some of my work, although I need to update it with some more recent stuff. In general, it's very dark red, purple, and black. If there is any chain type armor on the mini, it should be metallic purple. GW used to do a metallic "Amethyst Purple", so if you still have some of that, great...if not, you can do standard metal colors and then go over with a purple ink or heavy purple wash, and it will give a similar effect.

Thank you, I look forward to posting fun pics as I go.

Edit: Oh, and Square bases please. The rest of my army is squared, I won't be able to field something that isn't.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#20 Post by Aicanor »

Welcome, direweasel!
Glad you could make it back to our ancestral lands. Now just relax and enjoy new vistas. We hope you'll not going to feel like you do at home. :mrgreen:
direweasel wrote:Thank you, I look forward to posting fun pics as I go.
In previous years we had the rule not to post WIP pics (unless they were posted to me or Prince of Spires via PM for some feedback). That can be changed if more people think it would be a good idea (->Should we?). Fun pics of other objects (as far as they respect our netiquette) are welcome.

Shannar, Sealord wrote:So if I can help with the cheating feel free. Though I've already done one for Malossar, so a more indirect change would be better (not to mention the "secret" bit).
I fortunately have ways to sneak someone in at this stage. ;) It would be a shame not to have Malossar after all those Secret Santas he participated in.
Andrew_uk

Re: Secret Santa 2016

#21 Post by Andrew_uk »

Just wanted to say I'm really looking forward to this :) very happy with who I've been asked to paint for. I've got an idea in mind and this should be fun!!
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Malossar
Something Cool

#22 Post by Malossar »

I'm excited!

Can't wait to get to work, already have some bits and bobs blue tacked together.
Duranthalis

#23 Post by Duranthalis »

I should have stuff to paint on Monday (based off estimated date of delivery). Looking forward to it!
PLOG here!

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#24 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Back home. So far I've managed to figure out that if I remove the adapter from the charger I can plug my lap top in. That and managing to stay up until 20:30, and not wake up until 23:00 are my only accomplishments of note so far.
azur

#25 Post by azur »

have 3 weeks vacation, 2 and a half away in the sun, then this project will start.
the model and idea is there, =)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#26 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like my giftee (if that's the correct term...). As usual though I have no idea or inspiration yet. Not to worry, it will come as the deadline comes thundering on. Nothing like a bit of pressure to make those creative juices flow.

One thing I do know is that I'll need some new brushes. My current one is already a bit old and in need of a replacement. Time to go shopping :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Malossar
Something Cool

#27 Post by Malossar »

Are we doing public WIPs this year or the usual pms to Queen Aicanor?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#28 Post by Aicanor »

Secret Santa update: Still waiting for confirmation and address from Gandalf_82 ad considering one more addition to the lot. Let's wait a little and see how it all settles.
Malossar wrote:Are we doing public WIPs this year or the usual pms to Queen Aicanor?
I managed to hide this question quite well. What do you think?
Malossar wrote:Queen Aicanor?
On occasion I said my ambition was to be elected the first Phoenix Queen, but it was a joke. Honest! :lol:
Andrew_uk

#29 Post by Andrew_uk »

Aicanor wrote:
Malossar wrote:Are we doing public WIPs this year or the usual pms to Queen Aicanor?
I managed to hide this question quite well. What do you think?
So long as we maintain anonymity in who's sending what to whom (ie tell nobody ANY details) then I'd suggest it's up to us as individuals how we manage it. The following sentences give away nothing; stuff like "all the bits arrived today, I've started glueing", "it's all base coated, just waiting for the first wash to dry" or "right, all finished now to buy some appropriate packaging for a safe postage"

Duranthalis

#30 Post by Duranthalis »

The problem I see with WIP pics is that some people have pretty specific color schemes or armies, and thus one can deduce who it's for.
PLOG here!