P&M Showcase: Characters on Monsters

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

P&M Showcase: Characters on Monsters

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome to the next Painting and Modelling Showcase of 2016. The category for this showcase is Characters on Monsters.

The goal of the painting showcases is to let people show off their painted units, beasts and characters. New, old, ancient, alternative, newly painted or vintage - everything goes. And it's not just newly painted models, but all models painted over the years are welcome.

So, share some pictures with us of your models and perhaps a pointer or two how you achieved the painting results.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: P&M Showcase: Characters on Monsters

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

I'm going to start, by cheating!

:)

Chariot Prince

I don't have any characters on Monsters, so. The chariot and banner pole are TK but the flag is from the High Elf archer kit. I copied the symbol on it from one of the HE army books, can't remember which. The horses are from the old Elven Attack Chariot set. The hawk atop the banner comes from the Mage with that same set, as do the bowcase/quiver and spear-rack on the sides of the car. I've attached the Phoenix from the metal White Lions to the front of the car by bending it.

The pointing charioteer is an old Jes Goodwin model, he might be a Melnibonean. The Prince himself is basically the archer from the chariot set (the pose was right) but the winged helm head is from an heroic looking dude on foot, 3rd edition range. There's a plastic lion cloak attached to the back of the banner. I had various bits and the whole model just kind of coalesced, I didn't set out to make an army led by a dude in a chariot!
Mireadur

#3 Post by Mireadur »

My Prince on Griffon and dragon lord both painted 6 years ago now... (OMG time flies).

Not much to say... I think the prince on griffon is the one of the models WH ive liked the most of all time and indeed the one i enjoyed the most painting. If i painted it today i probably would try more blendings on the blues.
Doctor

#4 Post by Doctor »

Nice! What kind of varnish did you use? I like the effect.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Mireadur wrote:If i painted it today i probably would try more blendings on the blues.
Lol, I was going to say how awesome the blues are!

:)

Stag Lord

The "Battle Yak" as I once heard this model described! But I like the muscularity of it. Again, strictly it's a Monstrous Beast rather than a Monster. The rider is a 3rd edition hero, I removed his bow and knife. The sword is from Teclis, the shield from the Hellstriders boxed set and he wears a bowcase/quiver, a metal accessory he came with. I had to widen his legs to fit as he was made to ride a horse.
Knight of the Raven

#6 Post by Knight of the Raven »

THIS IS NOT MINE. I just saw it on the What's New Today blog on Games Workshop's site, liked it and thought it was appropriate for this thread.

Khazek, King of Ashes

Duranthalis

#7 Post by Duranthalis »

PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
RE.Lee

#8 Post by RE.Lee »

Eltharion!

cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Chracian

#10 Post by Chracian »

That eltharion is lovely! Storming is excellent, not seen those colours used on him before.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
RE.Lee

#11 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks! I wanted to do this kind of plumage ever since I saw the turquoise Griffon in the 8th ed HE book :wink:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy