Mordheim - The City of the damned

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Mordheim - The City of the damned

#31 Post by Prince of Spires »

Yes indeed, the second is better, though both are impressive. The first is a bit off-center somehow.

That's a lot of detail you managed to get into the face. Any tips on how to work with greenstuff?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Rhawtir

#32 Post by Rhawtir »

Thank you! :D The first one was built on the left overs of some dried clay, which was kind of warped so the face turned a little off-center, as you say.

And this is the statue thus far!

As for working with green stuff I've learnt a few things. The order in which I make the face goes roughly like that. I start with an oval shape, make the classic pattern for where the eyes and mouth are to be, and I look at the clay from the profile side of it to see that the angle is pretty much just a smooth surface to the front. Then I press holes into the clay where the eyes will be. The eyes and mouth are the hardest parts, and really are the parts that bring your sculpt to life. Ignore the nose for a while, you might make a slight ridge for it just to keep an idea of where it's going to be, but really take your time with the eyes. If you want to, I could make you a movie/picture tutorial for the basics of making a face? That would make it easier for me to explain the process.
Look and see the sky turn red.
Like blood, it covers over me.
And soon the sea shall give up her dead.
We'll raise an empire from the bottom of the sea.
Doctor

#33 Post by Doctor »

Great sculpting. A movie tutorial would be interesting.
Rhawtir

#34 Post by Rhawtir »

I will be working on the tutorial in a few days, as soon as I have time. As a teaser I thought I'de give you some pictures of a Tomb Kings monster I made for a friend.

That's the sculpt and how it looked when I gave it away.

And this is the painted product:

It was painted by my friend to go in heme with his gold/green Tomb Kings army. The monsters go in that traditional blue-ish stone colour.

I hope you like ihim!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#35 Post by SpellArcher »

Lovely stuff!

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#36 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thank you for the explanation of how you work on the face and for the pictures of the TK sculpture. They're both great and very useful. A movie or picture tutorial would be amazing :) But already the thought process and steps you outlined help a lot. I really need to find a next project to try these things on.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Rhawtir

#37 Post by Rhawtir »

Hello guys, here comes a slight update.

I have been very busy of late, but I will be making a video tutorial soon enough.

Anyway, I thought I'de share some photos of the witch hunter warband now that it's all done.

The reason behind my choice of warband is that one of my ancestors, Laurentius Christophori Hornaeus, was himself an infamous swedish witch hunter. A truly horrible man. But inspiring for creating a warband! :D

See you around soon!
RE.Lee

#38 Post by RE.Lee »

Great warband - a true homage to your ancestor :lol:

I like the crocodile-giant, too, nice paint-job!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Rhawtir

#39 Post by Rhawtir »

Thanks a lot, real-lee! =D I gave your compliment to my friend who painted the giant. (I was the sculpter)

Anyway, this sunday will be the first time in about 7-8 years I play Mordheim, so we'll see how it goes! My and some friends will be trying out the rules before the board is all done. My friends will be playing undead and skaven. Some more will join in later with bretonnia and.. I don't know yet, something else! :D

And yes, a video about sculpting will be coming along in time.

Anyway, here's the ruins of a church I built, now infested with witch hunters.

Hope you enjoy!

Share any ideas you've got and see you around :)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#40 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Very nice job on that ruin, but I have to say the roof lets it down a little. The rest of that is fantastic, but that roof just doesn't look right.

The interesting part is that from the side it looks good, but in the top view it looks really flat.
Rhawtir

#41 Post by Rhawtir »

Thanks Shannar! Well as for the roof there's actually a logical explanation for that. The parts I've used are all from the old warhammer siege-kit (which I've had laying around for about 13 years). So the lower part of the roof is actually the underside part of the rampart turned upside down. Sadly, it didn't stretch far enough that it could cover to roof so I took some scrap plastic and covered the rest, giving a flat surface for models to stand on. But I agree it is kind of a blemish on the whole thing. I'll be changing it later, I'm thinking of giving it a more churchy-roof with tiles or something of the like. But for now It'll serve!

I'm not sure how I will complete the roof but we'll see.. More pictures of the bitter fighting on sunday!

Oh, and here's a picture of my friends' undead! Bad camera, but I'll take some photos on sunday, as mention!

Rhawtir

#42 Post by Rhawtir »

So here's a slight update.

I'm building the entrance to a crypt or a mausoleum. I like to have small narratives in my creations so I added a hand made gorgoyle and some branches of which one sports a flower portraying a devils face. Either a sign of the mutation or a cruel reminder of the person burried at the site. Also a homage to the band Opeth and their song "The Devil's orchard".

Enjoy!

"Take the road where devils speak
"God is dead""
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#43 Post by SpellArcher »

Love this, nice and compact.

Hope the skirmishing was good.

Rhawtir

#44 Post by Rhawtir »

So, back from the gaming. It was tons of fun, my friends were surprised at how good the game actually was. Since the board isn't done you will have to take that into account while viewing these pictures. The buildings will mostly be made of stone and of the same quality as those that are standing on the (unpainted) cobbled streets. The streets will be of the same design as that unpainted section, except it will be the entire board, and painted. The scheme will be an autumn-like kind of dark, brownish/orange feel to it all.

So the first battle saw a tomb king, come alive from his sleep in the Mordheim museum and out to claim vengeance, battle it out against Skaven. The mission was a treasure hunt. The skaven looked like they would walk away with an easy victory and the chest in hand but the battle turned on its head once an archer killed the rat carrying the treasure and the undead were in charge distance. The skaven plan failed but the rats all survived post-battle.

This photo was taken at a moment in which the rat victory seemed sure enough, the reason why my physician friend is smiling away, a smile that would be wiped from his face in just a few arrows.

My witch hunters advance towards a giant rat guarding the knocked down skaven priest, knocked down by a skilled shot from witch hunter captain Laurentius. The cobbled street, although unpainted, is what the entire map will look like in time. Good times!

The outlook of the battled started out something like above. The green bases are witch hunters while the red are the skaven. The skaven chose a very tactical approach and brought slingers forth on the lower side to the right to fire on my flank while I advanced, trying to take out my lone archer in the corner of the building and a witch hunter armed with a crossbow in a building. 3 other skaven were brought onto the roof of a building to the far left of the picture to harass my advancing witch hunter with their slings. The assasin adept, the priest and some fighty people advanded closer to my men, and the adept and one of his henchmen climbed ontop of the building in the middle to jump down on my men if they tried to attack the priest and his giant rats and henchmen friend.

Seeing the desperation of the situation my aggressive stance, brought on by my infantry background, kicked in. I unleashed my two dogs against the three skaven down to the right, but they both got taken out in one round of combat. I feared the worst but knew I had to force a route before the skaven could pick me of so I charged one of my men down towards the very same slingers, supported by the bow zealot and they managed to take out two skaven as my main body of men attacked the skaven priest and his men. As the battle looked desperate, two more skaven were taken taken out just as the assassin and his friend managed two diving charges and stunned both my own priest of sigmar and a henchmen. But just as it all started to look so very grim my leader stepped in and took out a spear armed skaven, forcing a route which forced the rats to flee. The dogs survived but the skaven priest, having been both shot, stabbed and burnt by magic, passed on. Sigmar be praised!

It was getting late which is the reason for the poor quality of the photos.. + my palls poor camera. Better ones will be comming along for the next game! :D

See ya!
RE.Lee

#45 Post by RE.Lee »

Sweet Undead warband - that paintjob really breaths life into them. I mean... nevermind :lol:

Great to see your group having such fun with this classic!
cheers, Lee

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#46 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Since the board isn't done you will have to take that into account while viewing these pictures. The buildings will mostly be made of stone and of the same quality as those that are standing on the (unpainted) cobbled streets. The streets will be of the same design as that unpainted section, except it will be the entire board, and painted. The scheme will be an autumn-like kind of dark, brownish/orange feel to it all.
What you have looks really good, and when it's finished it'll look amazing. I'm guessing that stone work is foam and pen? it's a good method. Not the fastest but it gives really nice results. I've found that it takes far longer to build a high quality table than I plan on, and it's tough to balance terrain work with mini painting with actually gaming. All 3 are important, and there is never enough time to do all I'd like of of any of them, let alone all 3.
Rhawtir

#47 Post by Rhawtir »

Thanks guys! And yes Shannar, it takes way more time than I anticipated, despite having been in the hobby for the greater part of my life. I am thankful I've got friends who are both crafty and that have way too much time on their hands. I have managed to draft them into helping me out when the board itself is to be made. And yes, it's foam and pens. Works great but indeed takes time.

Tonight we're at it again, pics will be upcomming!
Rhawtir

#48 Post by Rhawtir »

Another night in the streets of Mordheim.

My first battle was against the Tomb prince of Bel-air. The scenario was the one in which the warbans are out looking for warpstone in the same general area and you fight it out over the tokens that are there. There were two.

Using my speed to my advantage I took hold of the first one. The next one was trickier, his prince being a t5w3 monster that he was. My warriors sent forth the hounds to halt the undead advance but they were handled pretty swiftly by my undead foe. A brave zealot, one of the "troubled brothers" gang, ran up and grabbed the precious glowing rock.

And by a strike of luck my brave men managed to take out the prince with three critical hits in a row! But the battle was lost once my warriors failed a route test later during the game. But I got all the treasure, all of my men survived, and the Prince suffered a nervous condition, weakening his initiative and making him miss the next game.

The next game I was defending a building against Skaven attackers. It turned into a blood bath. Both sides lost nearly half their men in the battle but in the end, the assasin adept attempted a diving charge through a window, detected the warrior he was trying to charge but failed the dive and fell, being taken out of action. The skaven fled when they saw it happen, and the victory was mine!

My witch hunter captain laid out his map, planning his next move.

See ya guys!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#49 Post by SpellArcher »

Rhawtir wrote:Tomb prince of Bel-air.
=D>

After 3000 years, he isn't going to be 'fresh', is he?
Rhawtir wrote: the Prince suffered a nervous condition
do mummies tend to be psychologically fragile?

Loving the map shot with ring and stone!
Rhawtir

#50 Post by Rhawtir »

Hello guys! Summer is all over and I'm back on working on my Mordheim project. So here's a slight update for you!

First we have the crypt or Mausoleum I've been working on. My friend finished the roof for me and now it's mostly painted and done. It's going to have a graveyard made for it also, so I'll show you once it's all on the board! :D

And here's a fish I sculpted to don the top of a fountain which my friend is currently working on. It took the design for it partly from an eel but also from a salmon. And then made it more rough and Mordheim-ish.

And these are two houses I recently started painting. They are not all done but you get the idea from the picture. I am still going for that autumn feel that the city will have as a binding theme. One of the buildings has a light orange roof and the other one is red with hints of yellow in it. It might not show much on the pictures due to my "smart"-phone camera but oh well. I'll get better pictures for you later! :D

And this concludes this autumns first update. The next project that is comming along is making the board itself. I will start that part of the project next week so expect more updates!

See ya girls and boys! :D
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#51 Post by SpellArcher »

Just great work!

=D>

It's really inspiring to see such a labour of love. The fish reminds me of a Roman draco standard. My Dragon Princes bear something quite similar!
Rhawtir

#52 Post by Rhawtir »

Hello again, and thank you SpellArcher for your uplifting words. :D

So I've started painting the game board itself and it's coming along great. A thing I've noticed, which I sort of predicted, is the fact that colour is very important to avoid the board looking dull and lifeless. Now seeing as I wanted an autumn theme it makes leaves, roofs, and small objects all the more important to pop up as you view the battlefield from a distance.

The above pictures give an example of how I've started to highlight the rocks and how my focus on the colouration of the roofs have proven to be important for that eye catching effect. It also helps in the process of identifying the buildings faster and makes them stand out from one another. Now if you were to google "Mordheim board" you will find a lot of boards which are pretty but rather bland and dull. That is, they are just in a dusty grey/brown scheme. Buildings, roofs, interior, exterior. Everything. That's exactly what I do not want. As I progress I will add more and more small amounts of colour to the elevated positions, ruins, and all around just to catch the eye and make the board more of a treat to look at.

I hope you enjoy what you see and I'm still looking for ideas and inspiration if anything comes to mind! :D

See you!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#53 Post by SpellArcher »

Rhawtir wrote:colour is very important to avoid the board looking dull and lifeless.
This is profound and your execution so far is excellent.
Mireadur

#54 Post by Mireadur »

awesome stuff. Nice. I love that the painting style goes so well with mordheim.
Rhawtir

#55 Post by Rhawtir »

Thanks for the replies guys! :D Do you have any inspirational ideas for buildings or ruins n' stuff I could make?

Anyway, here's another slight update. I've finished painting the statue from the Garden of Morr kit. Added some sand stone touch to the pillar on which i stands to make it pop a little, plus tried painting some realistic cracks in the statue and base. Enjoy! :D

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#56 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looks great. The cracks on the pillar indeed look realistic.

As for terrain ideas, depends a bit on what you already have of course.

Church is always a good idea. Or a walled garden, or house with a courtyard, or a tower.

Of course, small pieces are very useful as well. So barricades, barrels, bits of junk, broken cart and so on. Having a collection of these smaller bits is a relatively easy way I think to make the rest of your terrain more flexible.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#57 Post by RE.Lee »

Great job, love the sandstone effect! Makes me want to repaint mine, and I've only just finished it last month :lol:
cheers, Lee

Mireadur

#58 Post by Mireadur »

very good painting indeed. =D> Your friends are lucky to be able to play mordheim with you hehehe
Rhawtir

#59 Post by Rhawtir »

Thanks yet again guys, means a lot to me that you take your time to have a peak at how the city is coming along :D

And Lee, how did you paint yours anyway? Now I feel like seeing it! =D But yes, my first instinct was to paint it all in a greyish blue or marble effect. But then it just hit me that contrasting colours might actually work without making the statue seem like a playable piece more than an in game statue.

And Mireadur although they are pretty happy I must say I am very happy to have a friend who knows how to work with foam. My skills range to painting and sculpting mostly, but he has a good hand for those more symetrical shapes and what not. But paired together I think the project is going great =)
RE.Lee

#60 Post by RE.Lee »

Simple greyish drybrush, with autumn foliage and some minor details :wink:

cheers, Lee