Mordheim - The City of the damned

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rhawtir

Re: Mordheim - The City of the damned

#61 Post by Rhawtir »

That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing also. I like it, it's probably going to look great on a colourful board. For my own part I think painting the statue in only bluish grey would have rendered it nigh invisible on the board I'm building. Do you have any examples of how you painted the rest of the graveyard? I haven't started mine yet and inspiration is always helpful =)

Thanks for the picture! =D
Look and see the sky turn red.
Like blood, it covers over me.
And soon the sea shall give up her dead.
We'll raise an empire from the bottom of the sea.
Rhawtir

#62 Post by Rhawtir »

Well, it's been a while, but here are some updates! It looks like most of the board is soon to be completed (although such a work is never truly done). I'll be posting the first battlereports some time after Jul.

Anyway, here are the pictures :D

So every single building will in time stand on a base. Some of them will have small narrow corridors on them to give the sense of alleys and small passages. In the end the plan is to make the city a place crowded with buildings, wells, and carts. My next plan is to add some colour by putting fallen flags and posters from the festival that took place when the city was destroyed all over the bases and the likes.

I hope you enjoy and see you around :D
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#63 Post by Prince of Spires »

That look awesome. You could use a lot more buildings. Perhaps a few where you can have models move through them or between floors. But it looks amazing. The stone tiles are great. Having some carts, barrels, bits of debris and other small stuff will add a lot to both the look of the battlefield and also to playing options. In my experience Mordheim is made to be played on a table as crowded as possible with terrain. So, more is always better.

And yes, such a work is never completely done ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#64 Post by SpellArcher »

Rhawtir wrote:I'll be posting the first battlereports some time after Jul.
That sir, is a long-term plan!

:)
Rhawtir

#65 Post by Rhawtir »

Do not fret my friend, Jul is but the (very pagan) name of christmas here in Sweden :D So sometime after Christmas you will get some reports of gameplay.

Concerning crowding the city, yes. Indeed, the plan is that it should be very crowded. The problem is that for a student as myself the buildings in question, being the best in quality on the globe that I've found, demand a lot of dough. But still, the city will become more and more populated and urbanized as it comes along. The next plan is sculpting a huge tree that will stand in the center of a plaza, shadowing those below in autumn leaves. Then I will complete the graveyard for that ghoulish undead setting.

See you around, dudes and dudettes :D
Rhawtir

#66 Post by Rhawtir »

Being a man of my word I managed to play a few games as a try out for the Mordheim board during the last days of Januari. Sadly the images of the games ended up pretty damn dark since I used a friends "smart" phone and it seems his camera wasn't the best. I'll try and get some new ones later on!

Here are two pictures that represent roughly what the board looks like at present.

I've added som fallen leaves, lighetened up the colours (which the pictures, being dark, can't portray correcly), and we've added a few buildings. My friends has also completed a new warband in form of Norscans, and he's working on another one. I think I'll be painting a pirate warband soon enough and we'll, I hope you enjoy! I'll try and get some more and brighter photos as soon as I can!

See ya :D

Oh, any by the way, the tree on the circular base is not the tree that's going to stand there later on. You'll be seeing more on that project later!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#67 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looks lovely. Just say the dark photo's use "mood lighting" to set the tone and you can get away with the dark pictures ;)

I look forward to the next projects.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#68 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote: Just say the dark photo's use "mood lighting" to set the tone and you can get away with the dark pictures
Indeed, quite appropriate for Mordheim I'd have thought?

Rhawtir

#69 Post by Rhawtir »

So here's an update with some more pictures.

First things first I've sculpted the tree for the middle of the square. The leaves for it have yet to arrive but I based my sculpt on the idea of an old, graying, oak. Later on I will sculpt another, nastier, tree which has seen the full effect of the warp stone spread through the city.

And I've also painted the gate to the graveyard, although I'm still contemplating if I should re-paint the pyramidal shapes on top of the corners.

And also, a short battle-report in our pre-campaign games.

The Scenario was a simple Skirmish. My undead foe set up first, clustered together neatly around their king. We tried a different set of rules, fan made, from the internet for the Tomb kings. Part of them were the king had been nerfed to the same level as a vampire, although with lower initiative value, and the skeleton archers always hit on a 5+ making them a lot better. Also, the tomb guards had been buffed to the point of being a real menace.

I pretty much mirrored my opponent in deployment. On my right flank I put my flagellant and two attack dogs to try and make a rush for his archers. In the center I put my own archers, my captain, and most of my zealots.

I was first to occupy the plateau, and the undead surged forward in front of me. I sent one of my dogs to support my center while the other prepared to charge his flank with the support of the flagelant.

Mid-battle my center was shaped much like an "L" with my archers furthest away and my men ready to intercept anyone wanting to fight them. I have found that this tactic works well. I started pouring shots at my opponent but didn't manage to take anyone out. Meanwhile two scorpions went out of hiding and attacked two of my archers but both were attackers were destroyed. On my far left I sent two warriors on a far drawn flanking move. The undead tried to break these off from the rest of my warriors, but one of the skeletons was taken out of action while a tomb guard who joined the fray only managed to knoch one of the zealots.

By the end of the battle my left flank lay knocked down for most part, the dog on the right flank that tried to attack an archer had instead taken out a priest but was put to flight by the tomb prince who continued on with his attack and took the flagelant out of action in one strike. My center had charged downhill but the deciding factor came from one of my crossbows who took the head of off a skeleton warriors, forcing a route on a leadership of 9 for my opponent. For some unknown reason I have a lot, and I mean a lot, of luck in my games of Mordheim and the undead routed at once. I've now won 5 games in a in this game and I'm starting to feel I'm some sort of Mordheim freak of nature. Pray for me.

Anyway, what do you think about the paint job on the gate? How is it all coming along? I hope you enjoy, dudes and dudettes :D
RE.Lee

#70 Post by RE.Lee »

Lovely report! The Garden of Morr gate looks great, an unusual colour scheme - those washed-out roses/ivy and all.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#71 Post by SpellArcher »

Rhawtir wrote:First things first I've sculpted the tree for the middle of the square. The leaves for it have yet to arrive but I based my sculpt on the idea of an old, graying, oak. Later on I will sculpt another, nastier, tree which has seen the full effect of the warp stone spread through the city.
The tree is promising. There's a scary picture of a Chaos Tree in the original Slaves to Darkness book.
Rhawtir wrote:For some unknown reason I have a lot, and I mean a lot, of luck in my games of Mordheim and the undead routed at once. I've now won 5 games in a in this game and I'm starting to feel I'm some sort of Mordheim freak of nature. Pray for me.
Sigmar is obviously smiling on you Rhawtir!

RE.Lee wrote:The Garden of Morr gate looks great,
I agree. I feel the pointy bits on the sides look fine but the top two kind of disappear, could just be the angle of shot. Sometimes I find it better to have the edges of things in darker colours but really, it doesn't look like a huge issue to me.
Rhawtir

#72 Post by Rhawtir »

Here's another slight update.

I started painting the walls of the Garden of Morr set, and I also sculpted some graves. The earth and stone paving for the graves was done using super sculpey and the chests inside were done using greenstuff. The gravestones were from the Morr set itself.

Tomorrow I'll be battling it out once again, I'll try and make an extensive report then! See you around and thanks for your responses =D
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#73 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm really torn on your board. It's very well built, and perhaps even better painted (though it's close, some of your build work is pretty nice). On the down side it's pretty open (though you seem to be fixing that over time, so good job), and it just doesn't look like it got hit by a space rock.

All that said, there is no way I'd turn down a game on it.
Rhawtir

#74 Post by Rhawtir »

Thank you, Sealord, for your constructive comment!

And I agree, as it is now it is both lacking when it comes to the sheer amount of buildings and how tightly (or in this case not that tightly) they are standing. Part of the reason behind this is that I'm kind of elitistic when it comes to both models and terrain. And being a student this is very, and I mean very, expensive to me. But during the summers I've got a very good job so I end up getting a lot of cash and I buy things in batches. So the plan is to have a lot of buildings to really make it crowded in the end.

And yes, at present there's no real hight to the board. But we are working on that as we speak! I just don't want those silly square boxes that people build for their cities.. It's just not natural enough for me. The old town of Stockholm is kind of what I'm looking for. Medieval cities are not flat like New York but look much more like something that grew naturaly, I want to go for such a look but still with clear visible streets.

As for the destruction my idea is to first build a pretty much untouched city and then add terrain that adds the themes of corruption and ruin. I don't want it all to look too cartoonish (as everything these days seem to be when it comes to fantasy). I want it more in line with themes from Interview with the vampire and the likes. Dark, but not Blizzard-cartoony dark.

So that's the general Idea anyway :D

Thanks again for the response!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#75 Post by Prince of Spires »

Rome wasn't built in a day :)

I agree with Shannar's points. But they are issues that will fix themselves in time I think. Though building terrain is (in my experience at least) faster then painting models, it still takes a while to get them ready. And a whole city indeed starts becoming expensive. Adding stuff over time spreads out the cost and, since nothing disappears, makes the board more crowded and fun to play with as you go along.

A temporary and (relatively) easy fix could be to assemble some barriers / crates / broken stuff / debris to put in the streets. It gives places to hide behind, fills up the streets and so on. And they should be cheaper and faster to put together then whole buildings. And they can usually be made with left over bits and hobby materials.

Of course, it's way ahead of what I can put on the table terrain wise. So I would be delighted to get a game in on such a table.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#76 Post by RE.Lee »

Those sculpted graves look very good!

I think the table would benefit from a center-piece, something like the Skullvance Mance (such a pity they don't make it anymore...)
cheers, Lee

Rhawtir

#77 Post by Rhawtir »

Thanks again for the ideas! Concerning a center piece, I've got an idea but you'll have to wait =D

So we've been adding another plateau to get some hight to the city, it's not painted yet but this will give you an idea what it looks like.

My friend who carves a lot of the blue.. stuff, has a sense for more dramatic terrain than me. I'm thinking of adding some clay to the sides of the cliff to add some realism, but he still objects. But being the leader of the project I still think I'll try and go through with it since I think a common theme and colour scheme is important to tie the whole thing together. And there will be some gardens to the houses on the top of the hill, and some trees of different sorts. Hope you enjoy! :D
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#78 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

If you paint it well you won't need the clay. But that is really nice blue foam work.
Rhawtir

#79 Post by Rhawtir »

Well I'll try and paint it first and see, I think I'm going for a pretty bright colouration on the cliff sides. To give some contrast to the darker paving. I'm also thinking of adding a warhammeresque detail to it all with the addition of a sculpture of some sort on top of the cliff, although not glued stuck there.

How do you feel about the added height to the board thus far, shannar? =)
RE.Lee

#80 Post by RE.Lee »

Looking good! I thought the blue was intended, as a bit of ice-magic part of town :lol:
cheers, Lee

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#81 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Rhawtir wrote:Well I'll try and paint it first and see, I think I'm going for a pretty bright colouration on the cliff sides. To give some contrast to the darker paving. I'm also thinking of adding a warhammeresque detail to it all with the addition of a sculpture of some sort on top of the cliff, although not glued stuck there.

How do you feel about the added height to the board thus far, shannar? =)
Any time you add some height it's always a good thing. I actually really like that new piece a lot.

I've started a new board myself, for use while in Switzerland. It has to be storable, so it's more modular. Right now I'm just sort of laying out where I want peices with quick build versions.

It might be worth some pictures anyway.
Rhawtir

#82 Post by Rhawtir »

Life has been turbulent of late and work has slowed slightly, but this summer brings promise of great growth to the city of the Damned!

So, as a slight teaser for things ahead, here's some pictures of a minotaur I'm sculpting:

ImageImage

Naked and angry! :D Hope you enjoy, and see ya!
SeanG

#83 Post by SeanG »

All of these pictures in this thread are amazing! I wish I knew how to create scenery like yours! Keep up the good work =D>
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#84 Post by SpellArcher »

Rhawtir wrote:Naked and angry!
Good grief!

:o
Rhawtir

#85 Post by Rhawtir »

So, after being away and tending my life me and my friends finally got together and put all our efforts in to have a gaming day.

Still we need a lot more houses and some are being painted as we speak, but we have now entered a new phase of building: The ruination of Mordheim. Now that we have a lot of complete and intact buildings, it's time to make a lot of ruins and a lot of glowing, mutated, stuff.

Enjoy the pictures!

A small factory my friend built, I like it!

I really liked the green roof my pall made for one of the buildings. All in all the games did not go overly well for me, but I didn't lose many men, but my friends have a knack for going for the most.. high tier warbands.. But with such friends, no need for foes, eh? ;)

Anyway, please give me any inspiration you've got! :D See ya!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#86 Post by SpellArcher »

Rhawtir wrote:Now that we have a lot of complete and intact buildings, it's time to make a lot of ruins and a lot of glowing, mutated, stuff.
You are definitely crossing the line from the usual stylised buildings into stuff that looks real.

Keep it up Rhawtir!

=D>
Karak Norn Clansman

#87 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Excellent Mordheim terrain. Brings the setting to life! Keep it up sir.