2016 Painting Challange

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: 2016 Painting Challange

#121 Post by Prince of Spires »

Myth covered pretty much all of it. The main thing he forgot I think is the air hose to get the air form the tank to the gun + any connection pieces / valves to connect the hose to either the tank or the gun (I missed a few when I first bought mine, which meant I needed an extra trip to a shop before I could start out).

I would add that if you want to give it a try, have a look around for second hand stuff (on ebay or local equivalent for example). The best way to go about it is to check out new prices for brushes, compressors etc so you know what stuff should cost. And take it from there. New I think you can have a complete set <200,- euro's. So, I guess second hand, you'll end up around 100-150.

The airbrush cleaning station really is very useful to have. Both to clean your gun and to simply rest it wile you fiddle around, move a model etc. And cleaning is something you will probably be doing a lot of in the beginning ( I certainly am).

You can use regular colors instead of airbrush ones. They need a lot of thinning though, so it's usually a hassle (in my experience). Especially GW paints for some reason.

If you want a few extra pointers on airbrushes, we have a thread on it here: New to airbrush... some questions

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
hoten

#122 Post by hoten »

wow! thank you both for the detailed information. That was very useful indeed!

I'll take a look to "New to airbrush... some questions" and I'll post ther further doubts (oil-lubricated vs an oil less compressor) but maybe not important for beginners. Maybe this xmas are the airbrush ones :mrgreen:
-----------------
My Instagram gallery: https://www.instagram.com/colorwheelminiatures/
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#123 Post by Prince of Spires »

hoten wrote:oil-lubricated vs an oil less compressor
Oil-less

It prevents little bits of oil getting into your paint, which doesn't really matter for a lot of uses of a compressor, but it does when working on little details. Or at least, so I've been told.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Doctor

#124 Post by Doctor »

Myth wrote:I have Airbrush Compressor AS-186 and it costed me app 100 Euros, but it is good investment, you don't need anything more than that.
Damn, that's expensive, it's around 60 euros in Poland. I agree, buy one with a tank.
Myth wrote: - Airbrush gun: for the beginning you should take some cheap one, until you master it out and improve air brushing . Pay attention on cleaning and maintenance, otherwise you may not use it for long. I would recommend you took gravity feed gun, with dual-action trigger. Nozzle size 0.3mm as optimum, later on it can be adjusted to 0.2mm for smaller details or >0.3mm for priming and base coating.
I bought the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra, it was more or less as expensive as the compressor. So far so good, high quality and I don't think I'll need a better one.
Myth

#125 Post by Myth »

Doctor wrote:
Myth wrote:I have Airbrush Compressor AS-186 and it costed me app 100 Euros, but it is good investment, you don't need anything more than that.
Damn, that's expensive, it's around 60 euros in Poland. I agree, buy one with a tank.
Myth wrote: - Airbrush gun: for the beginning you should take some cheap one, until you master it out and improve air brushing . Pay attention on cleaning and maintenance, otherwise you may not use it for long. I would recommend you took gravity feed gun, with dual-action trigger. Nozzle size 0.3mm as optimum, later on it can be adjusted to 0.2mm for smaller details or >0.3mm for priming and base coating.
I bought the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra, it was more or less as expensive as the compressor. So far so good, high quality and I don't think I'll need a better one.
Damn, that compressor is a bargain, lucky you! ;)
It still cost more than 100E at my local distributor site.... :roll:

Nice air brush, but still I would recommend some cheap model, for the beginners, until they get use to maintain the gun.
Myth

#126 Post by Myth »

Rider is still not completed, but this is how it looks like

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#127 Post by SpellArcher »

Wow that is a bold green. Love it!

:)
Myth

#128 Post by Myth »

Actually, Jade Green ;)
I think Jade fits great with red and orange tones, so I wanted to try and I think is turned fine...
I still want to add more NMM highlighting on the model and to increase blue shading since it is not visible on the pic, but model is 99% completed.

Soon, there will be more painting challenges :)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#129 Post by SpellArcher »

I also like the variety of fiery tones you've achieved on the phoenix Myth.
hoten

#130 Post by hoten »

The base also look so good
-----------------
My Instagram gallery: https://www.instagram.com/colorwheelminiatures/