P&M Showcase: Skirmishers and rare infantry

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

P&M Showcase: Skirmishers and rare infantry

#1 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome to the next Painting and Modelling Showcase of 2016. The category for this showcase is Skirmishers and rare infantry

The goal of the painting showcases is to let people show off their painted units, beasts and characters. New, old, ancient, alternative, newly painted or vintage - everything goes. And it's not just newly painted models, but all models painted over the years are welcome.

So, share some pictures with us of your models and perhaps a pointer or two how you achieved the painting results.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: P&M Showcase: Skirmishers and rare infantry

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Excellent, I'll have lots of shadow warriors to post. And now lots of other shadow warriors to paint, so they can be posted too. Probably won't even get to any of the rare infantry...
Peepster1976

#3 Post by Peepster1976 »

I dont have much rare cav.. or skirmish eitehr..

I stared this 1,5 years ago just before we moved to the other side of the country. Its on hold. Man I like these models.
And added my new little fence... The choas warrior bumped over the flowerpot!!! those rebels!!! Thats not good behavior, SHAME!!

So not much to add to this category..

Grtzz
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Ideally, we're looking for High Elves here but given this is Skirmishers and Rare Infantry, Flamers or Sisters of Slaughter for example would be OK. We're trying to make something people can refer to afterwards too. It's a very nice unit of Juggernauts though, so I'll leave it in. Reminds me of the Grand National!

:)

Maiden Guard

I'd had these for ages after an old friend of mine picked them up for cheap in a sale. I finally painted them up for my first 8th edition list. But while I was quite happy with them, they just didn't seem to fit the army. So they've never seen a battlefield! I'll try to post up a few shots of individual models as this photo is a little indistinct.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, all of these have been shown before, but I'll add them here as well. Hopefully I paint up at least one more unit, but I've been busy with bloodbowl minis (those are almost done, maybe they'll go here too) and various pegasus (I did another bret one, and started on the HE one) so I've not started on those yet.

4th&5th Ed. Shadow Warriors. They only did 4 sculpts, when these guys get in a game (rare) they add a wolf to serve as the 5th.

6th Ed. Shadow Warriors. Still may favorite sculpts of the lot (Mordheim<4th<7th<8th<7th). They did 6 of these, which is nice. I really think they should have always done at least 5.

7th Ed. Shadow Warriors. Back to just 4 sculpts, because GW......

Eventually I will add the 8th edition and Mordheim sculpts, but those aren't painted yet (and I'm still looking for 1 Mordheim sculpt)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

I rather like the 7th ed. sculpts (they're the only ones I have, I'll put them up when I find some pictures). They feel like dynamic scouts and lend themselves well to a darker paintjob that matches the Nagarathy fluff.

The 6th ed. ones are pretty good as well and match the 7th ed models. They're a bit more hit-and-run in feeling. I'm still undecided about the new 8th ed ones. Not a fan of the helmets. But perhaps they'll be better with normal heads.

Which mordheim elf are you missing Shannar? Just so I can keep an eye on it if I happen to be browsing ebay for stuff.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

I like the middle ones best, then the later ones, then the first ones. Aly Morrison maybe?

Interesting how you've kept the same tones Shannar.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

I've got one unit of shadow warriors painted up.

Painted up a (for me) long time ago. I'm planning to add to them. I have Alith Anar and one or two older SW lying around. But somehow they never get priority. They don't see enough action is army lists I guess.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Very nice Rod!

Maiden Guard Standard

The only change I made to this lady was to use the plastic ribbon from a Tomb Kings chariot sprue. I felt it added just enough to stop the banner pole looking too bare. Although I ultimately prefer my third edition models to these (5th I think), they are still quite nice and I found they suited my painting style pretty well. I'd have liked a more full-on photo but I couldn't get my phone camera to focus properly!
Aicanor
Rainbows

#10 Post by Aicanor »

Nice!

I'll add some recent metal Shadow Warriors and WIP SW/Sisters of Avelorn count as unit (White Guard of Saphery or some such :mrgreen: )

Shadow Prince (the false one - if ever Headshot reads this :D )

White Guard WIP

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice colours Aicanor.

I love the model third from the end.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#12 Post by SpellArcher »

Maiden Guard Champion

For once, no conversion! I'm still not entirely convinced by the way she's brandishing her weapons but it looks OK as part of the unit. Which I guess is the main thing.
Doctor

#13 Post by Doctor »

SpellArcher wrote: The only change I made to this lady was to use the plastic ribbon from a Tomb Kings chariot sprue. I felt it added just enough to stop the banner pole looking too bare. Although I ultimately prefer my third edition models to these (5th I think), they are still quite nice and I found they suited my painting style pretty well. I'd have liked a more full-on photo but I couldn't get my phone camera to focus properly!
There were 3rd edition Handmaiden?
BTW there originally was a banner sticker for the pole.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#14 Post by SpellArcher »

Doctor wrote:There were 3rd edition Handmaiden?
No, I just meant the two ranges in general. I quite like the 5th edition models though.

That banner rings a bell! In general I tend to avoid painting flags because I don't trust my freehand! I did risk this one though:

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#15 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice freehand banner, but that is one ugly elf holding it... ;)

As for freehand, I stay away as well. It's also to do with practice I think. I'm not a great painter (as in painting a painting). So I don't do freehand. But since I don't do freehand, my painting doesn't improve either.

I like the maiden guard champion. Nice clean painting. Crisp whites. And it fits well with the rest of your army I think.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#16 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I like the maiden guard champion. Nice clean painting. Crisp whites. And it fits well with the rest of your army I think.
Thanks Rod.

If lacking confidence for freehand I've found it can help to keep things simple and maybe stylised. The above fly was copied from a pic I found on the net. It's not awesome but it looks OK in the unit. I went for something even starker on my Chariot Prince, which I'll post up at some point.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#17 Post by SpellArcher »

Shadow Warriors

These are LOTR Wood Elf Sentinels, slightly converted. A little smaller than my 3rd edition models but close enough to work. I kind of like the curved blades here.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#18 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I always kind of liked the "modern" lord of the rings range. Never got any as I already played more games than I have time for, and the size is off.

But it's less off when compared to the earlier warhammer stuff. I like the look of that unit, and I'll bet the size difference isn't bad at all.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#19 Post by Prince of Spires »

I really like a lot of the LotR range as well. If I would have been able to find some opponents I think that's what I would have collected. The models are a lot more basic in the sense that not every model has lots of bling bling details stuck to all available surfaces. It makes a lot more sense to me then some of the more recent WH models.

And you can always say that elves in Nagarythe get fed less then elsewhere in Ulthuan. Which then is the reason they're slightly smaller then the other models... ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#20 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I always kind of liked the "modern" lord of the rings range
I have a few models from the 1980's range Shannar.

I've mentioned before that I feel size differences are more palatable if between armies, rather than within them. Part of me really regrets not building some kind of force from the LOTR High Elves. Especially the guy standing with spear upright.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#21 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I finally painted some more things.

Here are the Mordheim Shadow warriors. Awful Models, but they sort of grew on me. Until I look at the other ones anyway.

I haven't decided what to work on next. It's either sisters of sigmar, or 5 plastic shadow warriors.
RE.Lee

#22 Post by RE.Lee »

Never quite understood how they could represent such a cool concept as a Mordheim Shadow Warrior warband with models as fugly as these :wink: Especially considering how good GW elves generally look. Still, you've done a good job with them - I like the pale blues in particular.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#23 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Of the 5 versions of shadow warriors these are by far the worst. A lot of the mordheim models that came out around the same time as these were rejects from the WFB range (ostland, averland for example). I've often wondered if that was the case with these as well.
RE.Lee

#24 Post by RE.Lee »

Yeah, that would explain a lot. Those newest badass SW make a great warband - I like the 6th ed ones most, but the lack of variety in poses would hurt in the Mordheim setting.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy