What Colors Do I need For The Original High Elves Scheme?

Want tips? Have tips? Have pictures even? Well, post them here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mark

What Colors Do I need For The Original High Elves Scheme?

#1 Post by Mark »

Hello everybody!

I'm about to buy my first miniatures in like 15 years. I played around with WH a bit back when I was a teenager but I didn't really stick to it.
Now I've had decided to try it again - and this time I'm armed with a wallet of my own :lol:

I have decided to go for High Elves (of course) and I wanna go for the original color scheme (at least to begin with).
I managed to find a high elf paint collection by GW (which they don't sell anymore) here: http://fallenrobin.hubpages.com/hub/Top ... -Elf-Army#

Since they don't sell it anymore and since I wanna try out Vallejo I've made a list of paintings based on the collection:

Vallajo:

Magic Blue (GC), Hammered Copper (GC), Blue Shade (Wash), Electric Blue (GC), Heavy Bluegrey (GC), Black Shade (Wash), Ghost Grey (GC)
Skull White (Dead White) (GC), Gunmetal Metal (VGC), Chainmail Silver (VGC), Mithril Silver (GC), Dwarf Skin (GC), Fleshtone Shade (Wash), Elf Skintone (GC), Umber Shade (Wash), Polished Gold (GC), Glorious Gold (GC), Terracotta (GC), Sepia Shade (Wash), Heavy Ochre (GC), Plague Brown (GC), Chaos Black (GC), Heavy Red (VGC), Hot Orange (GC), Gold Yellow (GC), Sick Green (GC)

I didn't manage to find the rest as Vallejo so I will need these Citadel paintings/washes/whatever as well:

Etherium Blue, Gillian Blue, Praxes White, Neuron Compound, Ungor Flesh, Eldar Flesh, Golden Griffon, Terminates Stone, Caliban Green, Lutheran Blue

There's no greens in the paint collection but since I wanna make green gems too, I picked Sick Green and Caliban Green.

What do you guys think? Will these paintings/shades/washed/etc (36 in total) prove enough to paint a High Elf army in the original color scheme properly?

Alternatively, I have been thinking about grabbing this plastic case from Vallejo with 72 game colors: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/7 ... mily/18/87

It would cost me a good deal more but then I won't have to buy extra paints for those special characters when I get around to buying those. On the other hand I would probably have to buy additional paintings in order to get all those I need for the original color scheme. Can you help me out?

/Mark
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: What Colors Do I need For The Original High Elves Scheme

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm not sure what you mean by original. 15 years ago would put you at 6th ed. That was a white with blue trim scheme. But there have been others prior to that, though white has always been a major color.
Mark

#3 Post by Mark »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by original. 15 years ago would put you at 6th ed. That was a white with blue trim scheme. But there have been others prior to that, though white has always been a major color.
Ah, I should've clarified that. What I mean by original is just how they look here: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Hig ... -Battalion :-)

/Mark
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think those colors will be plenty to start with. And I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself not using all of them. If you plan on sticking with the blue white colors scheme on all your units then you probably won't need the 72 color set. Buying bulk is nice, but I find that you only use a handful of colors on any given model. So personally I just buy them on a case by case basis (after the initial handful to get the first few units painted of course).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Mark

#5 Post by Mark »

Prince of Spires wrote:I think those colors will be plenty to start with. And I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself not using all of them. If you plan on sticking with the blue white colors scheme on all your units then you probably won't need the 72 color set. Buying bulk is nice, but I find that you only use a handful of colors on any given model. So personally I just buy them on a case by case basis (after the initial handful to get the first few units painted of course).

Rod
Thanks for your reply, Rod 8)

I'm pretty sure I'll go for the colors I picked. If I chose the Vallejo set I'm afraid I would have to buy another 10 paintings/shades or so in order to paint in the blue/white scheme- isn't that so? If on the other hand I'm able to stick with just those (and maybe a few oils/washes), I will probably pick the set for future use as well.

But before I make up my mind: would I be able to paint these miniatures as well with those 36 colors I picked? Because if I would have to buy another, say, 10 paintings I might actually pick the set :lol:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Hig ... -of-Chrace
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Tyrion
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/High-Elf-Mage

/Mark
Aicanor
Rainbows

#6 Post by Aicanor »

Depending on the technique, you should be able to paint the models with less than half the paints you listed. It is always a good idea to get all basic colours and black, light and dark grey and white/ off white. But listening to you, if you have the funds, that set of Game colours would give you lot of options. Plus maybe a few Army Painter metallics and shades (washes). Those are quite good. Or Citadel ones, of course. :mrgreen: